January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Exactly!

If players can’t pass the effing ball thankfully we won’t be buying them. 

NRC would chase back 50 yards win the ball then misplace the ten yard pass with no pressure on him.  

im all for robust players coming in but des bremner would be dropped asap if his passing didn’t improve. 

It’s why I don’t mind seeing Dani Parejo coming in (no links) I think his positioning and ability to control games is what we need when Dougie, McGinn and Boubs need a break. 

One for the future.😋

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Thats what we did, on Sunday, with technical players...we lost the ball at an alarming rate, and showed little urgency.....these elements of a game are a pre-requisite.

You can still sign central midfielders with aggression and muscle, and with technical ability....Rodri, Rice, Bentancur, are such players.

Oh no sir, I was assured on here when he was being linked heavily to us that he was total shit. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Oh no sir, I was assured on here when he was being linked heavily to us that he was total shit. 

Oh really ok.

Personally, when he was with "the old lady" I didn't know his worth...but injuries aside, looks a good player.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Oh really ok.

Personally, when he was with "the old lady" I didn't know his worth...but injuries aside, looks a good player.

He's Spurs' best player, I was lauding him having watched him for Uruguay and Juve for a few years but I was destroyed for it. 

He's not far from being world class imo. Certainly in the top 5 CM's in the league. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

He's Spurs' best player, I was lauding him having watched him for Uruguay and Juve for a few years but I was destroyed for it. 

He's not far from being world class imo. Certainly in the top 5 CM's in the league. 

I agree.

but he is a CDM.....are you surprised?....it took us long enough to sign Kamara.

Its funny how they have Hojbjerg, Skipp and Bissouma in their ranks too....clearly see CDM's as valuable.

20 hours ago, villa4europe said:

But again if we do identify that position as one that needs strengthening I don't see us going out and getting a £60m elite international midfielder 

It's more likely that we'd spend £20m (probably more..) on say vermeeren or a gourna douath, someone who can play and help but won't be a key player 

The Gloukh link makes a lot of sense for me, that's your kind of signing you make in Jan 

Aleix García from Girona feels like another sensible target. More of a Luiz option than Kamara perhaps but a t'riffic midfielder. In the Spain squad now. Bit short thou so some will hate him. And at 26 he's a finished article rather than a prospect. Much cheaper option than Merino or Zubimendi but would they sell with the season they are having and would he want to leave...

Obviously he's linked to Barca because they all are.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Just now, sne said:

Aleix García from Girona feels like another sensible target. More of a Luiz option than Kamara perhaps but a t'riffic midfielder. In the Spain squad now. Bit short thou so some will hate him. And at 26 he's a finished article rather than a prospect. Much cheaper option than Merino or Zubimendi but would they sell with the season they are having and would he want to leave...

Win the premier league or win La Liga? Choices choices 😂 

• Like 1

Maybe there is something to be had if Inter Milan are forced to hold a fire-sale. Bastoni, Barella & Lautaro Martinez might be a bit ambitious thou.

Italian giants Inter Milan are on the brink of bankruptcy according to latest reports.

The Serie A leaders are currently leading their domestic league and they have also qualified for the knockout stage of the Champions League.

The news of their bankruptcy started surfacing in the media after they paid their 10 board members their annual compensation.

Their corporate CEO Alessandro Antonello and the CEO of the sports area Giuseppe Marotta received less compensation compared to the previous financial year.

As reported by ‘ilgiornale‘ in the Italian media, the China based parent company, Suning Group, that owns the Italian giants is facing financial difficulties. 

As the Chinese economy continues to falter, Suning Group is naturally facing difficulties with their finances.

The current owner decided to sell the club but no buyer came forward to get them out of trouble. The reason behind their failure to sell the club was that Serie A’s profits are far behind the English Premier League and La Liga.

The report has stated that Inter Milan are only surviving right now because of selling two players last summer; Marcelo Brozovic to Al-Nassr for $20 million and Andre Onana to Manchester United for $57 million.

The club’s current debt stands at $898 million, although it is down from last year’s number which was $980 million.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2023/12/28/inter-milan-are-on-the-verge-of-bankruptcy-despite-player-sales/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Take this at face value or put it in the keeping things close to his chest file ? 

Take it at face value. I’m sure they’re going to try add but what’s the point if you aren’t confident you can add someone who will improve the squad. We don’t need more dendonckers. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Take this at face value or put it in the keeping things close to his chest file ? 

Hopefully the latter? Villa need at least 3 quality players to sustain push for CL as it’s obvious to everyone second string players aren’t good enough.

Edited by striker

30 minutes ago, sne said:

Maybe there is something to be had if Inter Milan are forced to hold a fire-sale. Bastoni, Barella & Lautaro Martinez might be a bit ambitious thou.

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2023/12/28/inter-milan-are-on-the-verge-of-bankruptcy-despite-player-sales/

Would love it if we could some how nab Barella, it would be difficult though

3 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Take it at face value. I’m sure they’re going to try add but what’s the point if you aren’t confident you can add someone who will improve the squad. We don’t need more dendonckers. 

So you don’t think Villa would be an attractive proposition for better players than Donk now?

This is exactly the right time to attract quality when Villa are doing so well!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Would love it if we could some how nab Barella, it would be difficult though

Aaah… one can dream… let’s get the Italian band together… Zaniolo to bring his mates Chiesa and Barella over to the Villa 🤩 🇮🇹 🤌

Never gonna happen 😭 but just imagine if we could make signings like or similar to that… we would be so formidable and much better prepared to make a lasting mark/impression for the rest of the season… Someone like Chiesa is better than any forward/winger we have and have had for ages…. yes, even the guy who stabbed us in the back…

The sorts of signings we need rather than squad filler and crap such as Bednarek & Dendoncker 🤦‍♂️ 

Quality RB and DM are real gaps in the squad though…

What Unai says makes sense and I’m glad to hear it… we don’t need bodies… we need proper enhancements when and where possible… hopefully we can manage it…

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, striker said:

Hopefully the latter? Villa need at least 3 quality players to sustain push for CL as it’s obvious to everyone second string players aren’t good enough.

Why do we need 3 quality players to sustain? 

Throughout 2023 we're the second or third best team in the league based on points accumulated. There's no reason why this team can't sustain a top 4 finish. 

Trying to replace 3 second string players in January would be awfully expensive too. Can't see that happening at all. 

At most I think we'll sign 1, and that would be a RB.

24 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

We never talk about deals unless it’s 90% done. Expect zero leaks from our side. Unai will always keep his cards close. 

• Like 2

Just now, striker said:

So you don’t think Villa would be an attractive proposition for better players than Donk now?

This is exactly the right time to attract quality when Villa are doing so well!

lol how’d you get that from what I said? I think we are a significantly more attractive option given our place on the table. It’s proof to players that our project is clearly working. I just meant if they aren’t able to make a deal for a player who should improve the squad then I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t bring anyone in.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, paul514 said:

Unai obviously has lots of credit in the bank, Monchi has a rep but not here.

its a unique situation for us with the obvious pulling power we have right this second, we may not have it in the next few windows.

its time to go balls to the wall with whatever we can spend within the limits.

Have to agree… it’s a wonderful opportunity to make ourselves stronger from such a promising and attractive position and even “status”… we should have a lot more appeal now and it’s easy to see how good our manager is and what incredible work he has already done… 

I wonder if we’ll go back to players who were undecided or even rejected us previously…

But… we shouldn’t be too disappointed if we don’t manage to bring many/in as higher level players are harder to attract and persuade… I do hope we at least try though…

We have an excellent base to build on and have managed to clear most of the undesirable or substandard players out (for now, need to shift permanent, and there are a couple more to go)…

What we need is that “next level” or comparable profile to Pau and an in-form Diaby…

Or… you get (younger?) players with potential to be just as good if not better in the very near future… like on of the Spanish RBs that keep being mentioned…

Not much point looking for anything less really…