January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We should be all over Connor Gallagher. Comfortable in possession, works hard and can play central midfield, as a narrow wide man or as a 10. Solves so many of our problems and hits the ground running. 

Gallagher and a top class right back and we finish top 6 at least. 

Is he for sale? Hasnt he played pretty much every minute for chelsea this year? 

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Don’t see the logic in throwing out names such as Gibbs-White and Philips (would anyone even be bothered or interested if he wasn’t at Man City)? Not even that good and certainly wouldn’t represent any kind of value…

Players that would cost a premium and destabilise our wage budget/structure that are simply not even worth it.

To repeat this again - we didn’t employ Monchi and his network of scouts and analysts to then blow millions/billions on PL based players. We will scout the globe and carry out as much research as possible to find high potential, quality and maybe most of all - value!

Maybe we will be more active in the La Liga market going forwards too…

We’re going to sign players that Unai himself wants and rates and sees fitting into and improving the side - that gives me major reassurance…

I’m so glad he won’t have players thrown on him and be pressured to play overpaid prime donnas or sick notes.

We’ve managed to conduct a decent clearout so far, let’s not add to that heap…

I totally agree with everything that you say here but Gibbs White would be amazing for us. He is so consistent at home and away. He works hard. Can carry the ball and his weight of pass is exceptional. He can also finish. All of our 10’s have their moments but particularly away from home, can go missing for large parts. Gibbs White would give us much more ballast in fixtures like yesterday.

He would admittedly cost a small fortune but unlike what we are finding with our players from abroad, particularly the forward players, he would be able to influence from day one. If we did have the money available, I would rather we spend the lot on someone who is as close to a sure thing as possible as opposed to spreading it over 3/4 more risky investments. Obviously being able to do both would be the optimum solution.

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

Just to play devils advocate, if Mings didn't get that injury, would we have seen the best of Pau? 

No we would not have which was why his injury was a terrible thing but a huge blessing to the evolution of this team and the fans acceptance of this team. That’s not me hammering Ty but we’ve all seen how the absence of Pau has impacted us in the last 2 games.

Just now, M_Afro said:

I totally agree with everything that you say here but Gibbs White would be amazing for us. He is so consistent at home and away. He works hard. Can carry the ball and his weight of pass is exceptional. He can also finish. All of our 10’s have their moments but particularly away from home, can go missing for large parts. Gibbs White would give us much more ballast in fixtures like yesterday.

He would admittedly cost a small fortune but unlike what we are finding with our players from abroad, particularly the forward players, he would be able to influence from day one. If we did have the money available, I would rather we spend the lot on someone who is as close to a sure thing as possible as opposed to spreading it over 3/4 more risky investments. Obviously being able to do both would be the optimum solution.

To be clear, I wasn’t calling him a poor player. I was saying that there is no value there… Forest have no need to sell and he would cost a heavy premium - it doesn’t makes sense and would be really foolish of the club imo at least.

There is more quality and a lot more value out there - again, this is why we have employed Monchi and given Unai free reign and control, to bring in and who he wants and delegate duties to them…

They will be best placed to judge who will make the right impact and have the right influence on the team too… we just have to have faith and trust in them. They’re certainly experienced enough…

• Like 3

The question we should be asking ourselves is whether any player identified is materially better than what we already have.

The names mentioned on this thread are very good players… but we already have very good players (apart from at RB). So the question we should all ask ourselves is what kind of player would Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham sign because that’s who we are competing with now. 

12 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Just to play devils advocate, if Mings didn't get that injury, would we have seen the best of Pau? 

Who knows… maybe?

I would have been happy to see a Pau and Mings partnership (never got on board with the uproar over playing two left footed CBs when so many sides play two right footed CBs together).

Where would it have left Konsa though? Or even Carlos? Certainly wouldn’t have brought in Lenglet, which is too obvious to mention really but oh well 😆

But… surely Unai considered all this? Maybe we never got to see his real and intended plan…

Ifs, buts and maybes… no on can really predict much with much accuracy.

Regardless, Unai deserves so much credit for how he’s dealt with the various setbacks and got us so high up the league!

Magician 🪄 

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Apparently so. I’ve seen it from a few reputable sources now. 

45 million quid though. I’m sure there are other options at that price but like I say, he ticks a LOT of boxes for me. 

2 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

The question we should be asking ourselves is whether any player identified is materially better than what we already have.

The names mentioned on this thread are very good players… but we already have very good players (apart from at RB). So the question we should all ask ourselves is what kind of player would Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham sign because that’s who we are competing with now. 

Now this is what I like…

Ideally… we want to bring in enhancements rather than cover or filler…

That’s how we progress even further and compete at a higher level…

It’s arguable that last season’s first 11 is still out best, if and when those players are available. So how much have we really improved? Added depth and options for sure…

• Like 1

Realistic DCM/CM targets: Guido Rodríguez (expiring contract), Wilfred Ndidi (expiring contract)

Less realistic target: Youssouf Fofana (18 months left on his contract at Monaco)

Would really like us to sign Federico Redondo (1 year left on contract). Never watched him play :D but he's supposed to be really promising. Main reason thou being that his dad was one of the most underrated and best midfielders of his generation. And also a really great guy by all accounts. :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lexicon said:

RB is the only position I think is an issue tbh. I want to see Pau and Konsa as our CB pairing with someone more cool, calm and collected than Cash at RB. 

Agreed and even if you like Cash, having to cut up our centre back pairing and move our best centre back out wide in order to cover right back when our first choice isn’t available is far from ideal anyway

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

We should be all over Connor Gallagher. Comfortable in possession, works hard and can play central midfield, as a narrow wide man or as a 10. Solves so many of our problems and hits the ground running. 

Top 6 is where we should be finishing anyway at the minimum regardless of if we sign anyone in January or not. In fact if we don't finish top 5 from here on in it's going to be a very disappointing 2nd half of the season.

Gallagher is also very much a meh player to me. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Where in the team would you play Gallagher out of interest? I always thought he looked best at Palace playing the advanced midfield role SJM has for large parts of his Villa career.

Not convinced by him at all playing in the divot at Chelsea as he did at Wolves.

Gallagher would be excellent at someone like West Ham but I'm not convinced he'd be a huge upgrade on what we have and for the money Chelsea would want (they'd demand a ridiculous fee as he's a big plus for their FFP accounts).

That said he's still only 23-24 and SJM is coming up to 30 now so eventually he'll need to be phased out of our regular 11 and Gallagher has a similar profile.

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Their policy is just to sell every single academy player they have to meet FFP requirements so this is where Boehly strategy dosen't really work as Poch certainly rates him.

Only has 18 months left to run on his deal aswell.

Timo Werner interesting name to throw into the mix. Wasn't great at Chelsea and not sure what's up with him at Leipzig but his profile would be to slot in out wide and then fill in at CF if anything happens to Ollie.

Not a finisher but can see the logic with how we set up and he does have excellent CL experience.

• Like 2