Clément Lenglet

Tom13

15 hours ago, WooJung said:

Had to pick this thread from page 3, behind Kortney Hause.

He slotted in quietly but seamlessly, looks disciplined and his distribution is very good.

Looks like a very astute loan move, feels like a very adequate Torres backup. Credit to him and to the recruitment department 

Agreed. Made a few of those defence splitting balls inside the full back that Pau's brilliant at.

19 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

He's a bit too good to just be rolled out in Conference League games. It's good for us and if he's happy win win, but I think we could have a problem holding onto him in Jan if some decent teams come after him.

I'd assume as we head into the KO stages of this competition Pau should come in at some point as well. 

Agreed he's in the prime of his career and being rolled out for conference games.

It's quite strange on his behalf. Win for us though.

hes also an awful lot of money to be rolled out just for these games but were only one centre half injury away from seeing him a lot more i think. Was a very sensible signing when it also looked like Pau might have to play some games at left back, thankfully that hasnt transpired.

It's from the Birmingham Mail quoting Bild, take it with a grain of salt, but...

Bayern Munich have reportedly identified Aston Villa loanee Clement Lenglet as a potential signing in January.

Last month, the Spanish giants were said to be "seriously concerned" over the player's situation at Villa Park. Barca are believed to be concerned his valued will decrease due to the lack of game time, though talks are not believed to have taken place with Villa over cutting his Villa loan short.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-star-champions-league-28238025

On 06/12/2023 at 16:02, Rodders said:

He'll get league starts over the next month I'd have thought. But he'll have known joining on loan he wasn't first choice surely

Tbf probably would have thought he'd have a few more starts with us going further in the carabao cup. 

Some clickbait links saying lenglet wants to terminate loan in jan as getting no game time.

Im sure the club would have told him he would be 4th choice and he is playing a key role in europe. Why would he leave he could be getting a winners medal?

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Some clickbait links saying lenglet wants to terminate loan in jan as getting no game time.

Im sure the club would have told him he would be 4th choice and he is playing a key role in europe. Why would he leave he could be getting a winners medal?

Barca want's to sell and apparently Bayern wants him as back up

1 minute ago, sne said:

Barca want's to sell and apparently Bayern wants him as back up

So from backup bench to villa to Munich 

Have to say he has done very little wrong when given the chance.

Its just our defence has been so impressive its hard for him to be justified as a starter

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So from backup bench to villa to Munich 

Have to say he has done very little wrong when given the chance.

Its just our defence has been so impressive its hard for him to be justified as a starter

Well they have a bit of an injury crisis so he'd definitely be getting starts. I feel like he will definitely want to move if he doesn't get at least 1 league game during this period. 

Be surprised if he is still here after January, at the rate his going he won’t play again till March and he won’t be happy with that and I’m sure Barcelona won’t be happy with that. 

Would like to think the position the club are in, we can maybe sign a highly rated young CB in January who can spend the next 6 months getting settled and coached by Emery whilst getting the odd appearance here and there should we need cover but I guess FFP might restrict that. 

Guess it will be another experienced CB on loan. 

18 minutes ago, RichW said:

Be surprised if he is still here after January, at the rate his going he won’t play again till March and he won’t be happy with that and I’m sure Barcelona won’t be happy with that. 

Would like to think the position the club are in, we can maybe sign a highly rated young CB in January who can spend the next 6 months getting settled and coached by Emery whilst getting the odd appearance here and there should we need cover but I guess FFP might restrict that. 

Guess it will be another experienced CB on loan. 

I'd refuse to entertain any idea of him leaving in January. We have a far better player in him as LCB backup for Pau than we can possibly find in Jan. 

For our CL push we need the depth. Lenglet stays. I'd start him home to Burnley though 

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I'd refuse to entertain any idea of him leaving in January. We have a far better player in him as LCB backup for Pau than we can possibly find in Jan. 

For our CL push we need the depth. Lenglet stays. I'd start him home to Burnley though 

Ideally he will stay, completely different to last January where the club rightly sent back Bednarek and Augustisson so it’s good to have a loan player whose hardly playing that we would want to stay but I’d be surprised if Barca/Lenglet will be happy with how it’s going. 

Barring any injuries difficult to see him starting any Premier League game including Burnley. Seems it’s going to be Carlos/Torres/Konsa in the tough games and Torres/Konsa/Cash in the games Villa play against bottom half. I guess there’s a fair chance there will be an injury with the amount of football playing though. 

Edited by RichW

Â