Christmas 2023

sidcow

36 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

During lockdown, if you had friends and family visiting your house around the Christmas period, the police would raid your house and force everyone to leave.
Does anyone know if this service is still available and if you have to book? 

Only a prod would suggest such a thing.

There is no escape, as Irish hospitality is both legendary and obligatory: "You will, you will, you will!".

2 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Only a prod would suggest such a thing.

There is no escape, as Irish hospitality is both legendary and obligatory: "You will, you will, you will!".

Despite my name and my father's birthplace, I'm not Irish. 

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Ungrateful word removed warning... 

My mom does her Christmas shopping to a budget, £200* per grandkid I think it is but my kids don't want or need that and I certainly don't ask for that

As a result they've just got both barrels of a scattergun of shit

Why have 1 peppa pig car when you can have 2, why have peppa pig stuff when you can have peppa pig, bluey and doc mcstuffin, why have 1 play doh set when you can have 4

My house is now full of shit my kids don't need

My wife is furious cos it makes her parents, who got sensible things that we asked for cos our kids want them, look like tits 

*she's spends more on my kids than I do that's for sure 

I sent my mom a photo of my boy unwrapping one of his presents and got the message back "I forgot i even bought that" 

Says it all

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Money for Christmas has always been a big no no in my family, birthday is fine, Christmas not 

Actually I should qualify. 

The 3 year old is getting a bike, as requested by her mum. 

The 8 year old and her 4 year old sister are both getting (different) Bluey play sets, as requested by their mum. As these each cost less than the 3yo's bike, we're giving said mum money up to the same value, with which she can buy them something extra in the new year. 

The 3yo's sister is getting a cuddly toy. She's only 7 months old, and won't give a shit anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Money for Christmas has always been a big no no in my family, birthday is fine, Christmas not 

Getting money for christmas is f***ing ace. Finally a bit of f*** you money for once. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Despite my name and my father's birthplace, I'm not Irish. 

Sorry about that because it was meant to be a compliment.

I have Irish grandparents on both sides of my family, and I feel the influence to be strong.

I assumed that your passion for music and literature were part of your heritage.

When Dawkins coined the term 'meme' and defined it as a unit of cultural transmission, it seemed to make sense.

Sorry!

17 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I have Irish grandparents on both sides of my family, and I feel the influence to be strong.

I assumed that your passion for music and literature were part of your heritage.

My neither of my parents (Irish father, English mother) had any real interest in music or literature (although my Dad did use the library). Most of my interests probably stem from my 1960s Grammar school experience (teachers and fellow pupils). I 'feel' - culturally -100% English (albeit not an English nationalist).