Penalties…

Spoony

I think this is becoming a bit of a concern. We do seem to have a poor conversion rate with penalties and as we become more attacking and more of a force, we are going to get more of them.

I really don’t feel a confidence player like Watkins should be on them. Not really sure who the options might be as none of our players would fill me with confidence strolling up to the spot. Maybe Martinez as he’s the only player we have who seems to have bollocks of steel in all scenarios…

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 1

How many did Diaby take for Leverkusen out of interest?

Buendia's scored the odd one for us so think if he's on the pitch he'd be a solid pick.

I agree, Ollie is never convincing when taking them so not sure why he's still deemed first choice after the Liverpool miss.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

How many did Diaby take for Leverkusen out of interest?

Buendia's scored the odd one for us so think if he's on the pitch he'd be a solid pick.

I agree, Ollie is never convincing when taking them so not sure why he's still deemed first choice after the Liverpool miss.

Diaby took 2 over the last two seasons and didn’t convert either of them.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Diaby took 2 over the last two seasons and didn’t convert either of them.

Not great really if both your main attackers are pretty much run up, close your eyes and hope for the best on penalties.

You want them to be converting 90% like Haaland, Salah, Kane all do.

Would just give it to one of the midfielders then. Tielemans, Luiz or McGinn who scored one for Scotland a while back.

• Like 1

simple, Watkins shouldnt be taking penalties.

Tielemans, Coutinho, prob even Luiz....

I cant believe Watkins is still taking pens after showing time and again, that he just cant effectively pick a spot, if he is still taking them in the season proper it will be madness.

• Like 4

It drives me insane. Forget trying to be clever. Forget the down the middle bollocks.  A bit of height, a bit of width and lots of power. 

If you're Gareth Barry or Alan Shearer, fine absolutely rocket it into a top corner time after time. But for more normal penalty takers a bit of height, a bit of width and lots of power will see you true most times. 

• Like 1

Genuinely would like to know what Watkins penalty ratio is for us. Taken:scored or whatever. I feel like he misses half of them? 

I really like Ollie and he has a lot of great attributes but penalty taking simply isn’t one. For whatever reason, he’s absolutely dreadful at them.

Look at tonight. Misses the penalty and then goes and scores a much harder, well taken goal. 

Odd.

Just now, AVTuco said:

He is such an obvious choice... makes me wonder why he hasn't been asked to step up? Doesn't want to?

They probably hadn’t thought of taking it off watkins, he never looks comfortable on them for me

• Like 1

If transfermarkt is accurate Ollie is 4-6 in his career now.

40% conversion from penalties! Unacceptable. They must be taken off him.

Order of preference for me...

Tielemans

McGinn

Doug

Ramsey

Archer

• Like 2

Â