Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Either do it properly or don't bother. We spent money on rebranding only for Heck not to like it. That was his decision. 

I'd rather we kept Lerner's badge or done it properly if we are so short of cash with what coming 4th in the league and being owned by two billionaires.

Doing everything inhouse and on the cheap feels like Doug Ellis is back at Villa Park again. Cornershop mentality.

But there you go, a underwhelming result but Heck should now focus on his main priorities of squeezing as much money as he can inside and outside of Villa Park for the next 3-4 years before he moves onto his next job.

Bang on, all that really needs to be said.

It’s a poor, weak and cheap effort all round. No improvement, no solving of any issues… so what was the bloody point?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Bang on, all that really needs to be said.

It’s a poor, weak and cheap effort all round. No improvement, no solving of any issues… so what was the bloody point?

For Heck to show he is the big dog unafraid of making tough decisions.

The only slight improvement is that we actually have our club name back in the crest after the best part of two decades being Acronym FC.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There's no way he didn't know the crest was changing

Did many people complain about that? And how is a solution where we have zero choice the right thing to do?

Yet were consulted far more about that circular badge than we have been about this one

Not remotely true :D 

It's probably far too late and cheeky of me but this article raises a number of issues highlighted here by the brilliant Stevo. Can it be queried at the next FAB @OutByEaster?

I think that this Badge might be for this season only. The drop shadow is there to commemorate the displacement of 900 season-ticket holders Who will bravely give up their seats so that burgers and chips can be sold to others.The shadow represents the old, football-watching fans that we don’t want anymore and the yellow Lion represents the bright new future of the burger and chips eating fans that we do want.

• Like 1

I actually don't mind Heck. That wasn't meant as an attack on him. 

But one thing I will knock him on is the communication around the badge. It's been dogshit, and a lot of what they have communicated has just been lies

095ab5ca-92e3-43c0-8a39-3f38406505d9_tex

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But one thing I will knock him on is the communication around the badge. It's been dogshit, and a lot of what they have communicated has just been lies

095ab5ca-92e3-43c0-8a39-3f38406505d9_tex

Similar sentiment around the north stand as well. If only it was for those 70 seats or whatever.

30 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Also, the previous shield was not in place 31 years! We changed to it in 2007!

I think the 31 years refers to when we first changed to a shield with a yellow lion, technically you could argue everything since then (bar the recent roundel) has been an evolution from that starting point.

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Have you read the Heck puff piece somebody posted? Will be interested in your take mate.

Looking through it now… it’s full of lies and BS 😡 

Definitely a puff piece, nothing more than that.

This actually is funny… because the badge doesn’t represent claret and blue at all 😂

One of the club’s distinctive brand assets is its claret and blue colourway, which was later mimicked by West Ham and Burnley, something Heck tries to see the funny side of. It was important with the rebrand that Aston Villa could make sure it is “distinctive as being the first” to use these colours. 

Pfft!

I am glad and even appreciate that he has improved on our commercial deals and ditched the shite ones… but everything else has left a bad impression. Communication has been poor and there is distinct lack of honesty or transparency.

The article is just there to big him up, nothing else… 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Aesthetic is subjective. In terms of the visual the badge is clearly an evolution of our Lerner badge so is recognisable as Villa thus no big rebrand cost 

Devolution you mean

12 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I think the 31 years refers to when we first changed to a shield with a yellow lion, technically you could argue everything since then (bar the recent roundel) has been an evolution from that starting point.

Maybe. Even the 2000s era shield was really different from the 90s shield with prepared in a scroll underneath. 

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Devolution you mean

Certainly that… I would’ve preferred sticking with AVFC over that.

We’ve ended up with something inferior (at best, similar) when, after 2(?) years and a farcical process of fake consultation we should have ended up with a significant improvement.

I will join the “round badge is better” crew now too… even if it’s not ideal or what I wanted. But it was enough of a change and is more distinct and relevant than what we have now. Could easily have been tweaked to be better (stupid to turn the lion round and a touch of gold would have added some class).

Somehow just hoping that it doesn’t look quite as bad once we see the full and real kit reveal. That what we’ve seen is just a crappy graphic rather than an accurate representation of the real thing 🤷‍♂️ 

It’s actually made the old one look much more attractive and appealing..

My love for this has grown 😂 it’s massively better:

spacer.png

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Sums it up that they haven't even changed the avatar yet.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

And like I said a couple of weeks back, I'm certain this is exactly what they wanted. The fan base are so bored of the badge stuff that they are more likely to just accept it.

I reckon if this badge was revealed 6 months ago there would have been far more backlash. but people just can't be arsed with it. And we've got CL so a lot of people will think it doesn't matter

Yes. And I think we're seeing his MO in action.

He did his best to not announce the north stand wasn't being renovated. No tweet, no article. Just a 30 second clip within a 10 min video.

Say nothing, do what you want.

He's in for a shock when he pulls this nonsense when we're not having the best season in 30 years.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

The ignorance of people in this thread has been off the charts. As the Price of Football explained in a recent episode. The cost of rebranding and marketing the new crest (the one we've got for this season) is very expensive. People don't realise that. 

Described as "the salary of a senior player for a whole season". As we are close to PSR limits the club made the financial decision to keep the same badge we've had for years and make a minor update to it around the text.

The reason we have done this is because of PSR the same reason we've not go e ahead with the North Stand redevelopment. Yet we get never ending whining by perpetually ignorant fans in this thread.

You don't have a clue how to run a football club. The people on charge of Villa do and focussing on PSR is the right thing to do at such a critical time

Didn't know pompous bootlicking was a thing. Bravo.

• Haha 1

I think it's weird that we added 1874 this time after removing Prepared from the Lerner badge because it made it look unbalanced. It's taking up the same level of space on the badge and has roughly equivalent value. What's the point?

Remove the 1874 and at least it's better balanced, so we can have a nice badge in monochrome. 

The drop shadow and washed out colours suck but otherwise it looks like a Villa badge. 

I have got a lot of stick for being critical of Heck and I have reflected on that and tried to moderate it.

I just feel we deserve better. I remember going to games in the Championship and it was grim. He doesn't have any of that context, we are like a blank canvass to him so he doesn't appreciate we wanted to move away from the Lerner identity.

Anyway, it is what it is.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

All this talk about whether we're qualified to judge the new badge is nonsense really because we're the consumer. Of course we are qualified to judge it. It's meant for us, and those of us as yet uninitiated to the cause (but still football fans and not marketing gurus).

McDonalds doesn't make a burger that everybody hates, just to issue a statement saying that 'the customer is not qualified to judge the viscosity of the bovine component', and carry on selling it. It sells or it don't. People like the brand or they don't.    

Of course we are qualified to judge it!

We can also take the ultimate decision not to buy it if we don't like it.

Unfortunately in the world of football the companies trying to sell us things know we are somewhat compelled to purchase high priced tickets, crap beer, food and rubbish merchandise because its "our club".

I've long since stopped buying any club merchandise and only buy the odd (overpriced) pint from the Holte end bar. However this year they have a window of opportunity with me as i actually want to buy something. The feel good factor has won me over and I'm just hoping they wont let me down with the "look" of things!

Its my choice its not forced on me.

Lets see what happens.

Edited by MarkLillis

Â