Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It’s weird because surely the cheapest and easiest option would be to just have kept the round badge? 

They hadn't done any rebranding with the round badge. The only place you see it is on the shirts. Everything else has the old badge on it. Stadium, press, website, letters etc etc

A rebrand is replacing all of that with the new badge.

My gut tells me it was cheaper to do that with this new badge than with the round one. I expect they'll leave the old Lerner badge in a lot of places where they can get away with it.

Cheap activation

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

They hadn't done any rebranding with the round badge. The only place you see it is on the shirts. Everything else has the old badge on it. Stadium, press, website, letters etc etc

My gut tells me it was cheaper to do that with this new badge than with the round one. I expect they'll leave the old Lerner badge in a lot of places where they can get away with it.

Cheap activation

Ahh, yeah, a very good point. I suppose a sheild can slot in to a shield shaped void easier than a round one. It must be that 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

interesting article, i feel like people in here would like to know what the complaints were about the round badge, and who said them? And why don’t we have a choice with this badge?

Heck was definitely right about the lack of choice. We had two choices from the same fundamental idea. 

And now he's given us a worse badge with zero choice.

Not the best solution is it?

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Cheap activation

Also, I don’t think there was anything in place to expand. 

so yeah, cheaper, easier and more fulfilling to restart on a project. Than completing an old one with no instructions. 

similar problems to when a film director is replaced part way through a production. Most of the time that film will be rubbish

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Also a big LOL at that article where Heck says the fanbase were frustrated with the round badge because they weren't given much choice

Erm...

Obviously he prefers the "no choice at all'" route. He still comes across as a dick.

6 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It’s weird because surely the cheapest and easiest option would be to just have kept the round badge? 

No, all our branding apart from the kits and training gear is still the Lerner crest, and they change those every year anyway, so replacing the round crest costs nothing really.

With this new design, they will roll it out to the most visible places first (this summer most likely) and then over time phase out the Lerner crest everywhere else. It still costs money, but it is spread out more.

So you will still likely see the Lerner crest in some places for a few years yet, but because it's pretty close to this new one it is a less noticeable change.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

It’s absolutely fine in mono… shame that we probably won’t see that too often. Maybe the away kits will have it though?

IMG_6829.jpeg

It's much better but still horrendously misaligned. Put the text at the top, or maybe even just the 1874 if it is to remain, and it would probably look much better.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And now he's given us a worse badge with zero choice.

Not the best solution is it?

Not really. But I don’t think he could be arsed dragging it out any longer, I can’t be arsed as a fan. 

my mood

theres a wider idea in this one, I’m content, despite the execution of the badge being mediocre. To quote the people I’ve asked about this “it’s fine” 

10 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

interesting article, i feel like people in here would like to know what the complaints were about the round badge, and who said them? And why don’t we have a choice with this badge?

Heck was definitely right about the lack of choice. We had two choices from the same fundamental idea. even tho it’s not stated out right in the article, it’s clear that he wasn’t happy about the overall branding, or from what I’ve noticed, the lack of it. This image shows that wider branding was at forefront of he’s plan.

AstonVilla_BrandGuidelines_Master_V5.pdf

the double line, the font choices and the colours, other than the lion, everything is claret, blue and white (our kit colours). He’s bringing everything visual in to 1 unifying palette, Villa’s Palette 

like or dislike.. it’s good we are developing a brand identity beyond our badge. 

It’s the sort of article that could, perhaps, maybe, you know, go on our own website so that supporters can understand the thought process.

Fact that the club did not even properly introduce the new badge,  just imbedded it with the Adidas announcement, and essentially bought an advertorial in a marketing trade magazine to soften fan sentiment is a clear sign that they know they screwed up. 

Im done with this topic. Time to move on and look forward to the Champions League.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, andycv said:

Interesting article here about the new badge, the wider rebrand and our approach to corporate partners: https://www.marketingweek.com/aston-villa-club-rebrand/

Interesting, but clearly paid for and orchestrated by Heck. Such a puff piece of an article. I'm fairly sure he's providing a version of the truth in some of those quotes that could be best described as loose.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I am not the arbiter of taste, I have no idea what other people find acceptable in terms of the way a badge looks, but I don't mind this one. It's not perfect and I would probably arrange the colours differently, but  it's recognisably Aston Villa and I intend to love the f*** out of it over the next few years regardless.

Yeah for me I'm glad AVFC is removed and replaced with Aston Villa. I like having 1874 on the crest also. I prefer it to our current badge (or the Lerner one). 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Heck was definitely right about the lack of choice. We had two choices from the same fundamental idea. even tho it’s not stated out right in the article, it’s clear that he wasn’t happy about the overall branding, or from what I’ve noticed, the lack of it. This image shows that wider branding was at forefront of he’s plan.

AstonVilla_BrandGuidelines_Master_V5.pdf

the double line, the font choices and the colours, other than the lion, everything is claret, blue and white (our kit colours). He’s bringing everything visual in to 1 unifying palette, Villa’s Palette 

like or dislike.. it’s good we are developing a brand identity beyond our badge. 

The article itself is a bit of a puff piece on Heck and I don't like the rewriting of history on the process(es).

I do like the images showing how the crest and shield shape is going to tie into the brand though, and the use of colour, looks like claret blue and white which makes sense, the only place yellow is used is on the crest. 

I'd love to see the rest of this 'Aston Villa Brand Book', certainly, it looks like we are finally going to have a coherent brand going forward.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah for me I'm glad AVFC is removed and replaced with Aston Villa. I like having 1874 on the crest also. I prefer it to our current badge (or the Lerner one). 

Same

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Also a big LOL at that article where Heck says the fanbase were frustrated with the round badge because they weren't given much choice

Erm...

At this point I'm not too bothered by the badge. I think it's a missed opportunity, but we'll be blind to it in a couple of years.

I'm more pissed off with this guy taking us for idiots, bodging the consultation, throwing the FAB under the bus, hiding it for as long as he could, then lying about the whole thing.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think it's the lion that messes it up for me. A more detailed lion instead of one that looks like it's been electrocuted would have been much better. 

In truth it would have been so easy to pacify the majority of the fanbase with a couple of changes. Lettering at the top, centralising the Lion etc but they couldn't help but f*** it up. 

Rest of the badge is okay if a bit uninspired, though absolutely lulz at any of the drivel coming out of Heck about it needing to stand out, if they were that worried about the round badge then there was a clear mandate from the fans that a gaslamp shape was the next preference, and though I was team round badge myself, the proposed gaslamp versions were still infinitely better and stood out more than the garbage we've somehow wound up with.  They've not only thrown the baby out with the bathwater, they've popped out for a vasectomy and stuck the bathtub out on the street for the binmen to collect.

They've taken the worst element of the Lerner badge, a light, block coloured Lion on a light coloured background, a combination that washes out definition and will look increasingly worse with distance, and added a **** drop shadow, a design element which washes out the definition yet further, multiplies how bad it will look at any kind of distance (just look at the head of the Lion on the official copy from the club, it's a blurry mess) and for good measure throws the positioning off-kilter.  To be clear, a drop shadow in and of itself is not an inherently terrible thing, like any design element it simply needs to be used in the right context, above all else.  Using one where it only serves to wash out definition and make an image less clear, especially when said image represents what is meant to be core branding, is an objectively awful graphic design choice.

I can only posit that Heck has taken his "make as much money as possible" remit to the extreme of penny pinching on whomever did the badge re-design, because I do not believe for one second that any graphic design company worth their salt, in 2024, is coming up with that.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 3

Just now, Stephen_Evans said:

It’s the sort of article that could, perhaps, maybe, you know, go on our own website so that supporters can understand the thought process.

Naaa, not this article, it’s fine being external.  

yet, supporter committees should ask Heck some hard questions about this at the next meetings

Â