Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Missed a trick there after saying "Manchester City's purely decorative stars were removed, which didn't symbolise any titles" by adding "because they hadn't won any at that point".

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

So Hecks badge on the shirt will just be the Lion and Aston Villa underneath in theory.  I could live with that.

2 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

So Hecks badge on the shirt will just be the Lion and Aston Villa underneath in theory.  I could live with that.

We don't 100% know yet, and in fairness, the Purslow/Dragon Rouge badge also had a version called 'Lion Unleashed', which would have been just the text, lion and star, I think.

Whatever we end up with, a solo lion or lion with text will likely be used in some cases, maybe not on a kit to begin with, but as the brand grows, it will be used everywhere more frequently.

1 minute ago, DakotaVilla said:

Does it, really? All the rest of them apart from Ajax are crap as well

Yeah its awful. If only the fans had picked the Gaslamp one when we had the chance this whole mess could have been adverted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Does it, really? All the rest of them apart from Ajax are crap as well

Yes, really. 

Washed out and bland.

Our new one there would fit in but still lacks a bit of vibrancy for me. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It looks so shit compared to other badges 😔. Always winds me up, doesn't reflect the status of the club.

FB_IMG_1708679824770.jpg

Stars all over the place on those badges, without knowing what they mean, I assume they're not all for winning the European Cup.

Makes me want the star on our bade even less. Its meaningless.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It looks so shit compared to other badges 😔. Always winds me up, doesn't reflect the status of the club.

FB_IMG_1708679824770.jpg

Interesting that 9 of the badges (10 if we'd used ours) are round.  Our shield is a different shape (even to the other shields) which helps it stand out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

FB_IMG_1708679824770.jpg

We should go and hire the design agency who developed that Lille badge to do ours..

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Stars all over the place on those badges, without knowing what they mean, I assume they're not all for winning the European Cup.

Makes me want the star on our bade even less. Its meaningless.

I guess everything is meaningless to a non fan of the team. Why green on Plzen? Who's the Ajax dude? Is that even an eagle on PAOK?

Anything you put on a badge that resembles history is only meaningful to the fans of that club. 

Hence, I wouldn't be against the principle of a very modernised insignia like Juventus have, with the lion of some sort being branded throughout the club. 

Just now, Mic09 said:

I guess everything is meaningless to a non fan of the team. Why green on Plzen? Who's the Ajax dude? Is that even an eagle on PAOK?

Anything you put on a badge that resembles history is only meaningful to the fans of that club. 

Hence, I wouldn't be against the principle of a very modernised insignia like Juventus have, with the lion of some sort being branded throughout the club. 

I just googled it's the Greek hero Ajax. I never knew that before. 

But it's got meaning to the fans, just like the gas lamp (no one outside of B6 knows about the gas lamp.) 

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I just googled it's the Greek hero Ajax. I never knew that before. 

But it's got meaning to the fans, just like the gas lamp (no one outside of B6 knows about the gas lamp.) 

That's why the gas lamp inspired shield was so good.  Looks like a shield but to those that know it means something.

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

This video actually perfectly captures everything about the "current / Purslow" badge that makes me dislike it.  Basically, it just shows that last year's effort was a "paint by numbers" exercise - (1) make it round, (2) simplify the central image and (3) make it two colours.  Exactly the same as so many other clubs are doing.

Any one of those on its own would probably be fine - (1) I like our 1982 badge, (2) I like how Roma and Wolves have simplified their central image and made it a symbol connected with them and (3) I do think that the claret and blue looks much sharper than the light blue and yellow pairing.

I dislike the fact that we turned round the lion - it looks less like the Villa lion.  So it feels like it's lost its identity without really forming something new and iconic.

I'm not a big fan of the Lerner crest - the colours are too washed out. 

But this video has also helped me realise why I quite like the more detailed lion that has been "leaked" recently (ignoring the rest of the badge).  It's very definitely doing something different to the norm and I think combines a definite nod to the past (with it being more "intricate") but yet it feels like a modern take on that.  More importantly it is "our" lion and so I think will stand on its own better.  I'm still not a fan of the yellow on light blue though.  But the yellow lion in its own would look great on a claret background - whereas changing it to claret so that it appears better on the badge would then make it much harder to use a claret lion on its own.  So it's not as simple to fix as it might appear.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

I know this is irrelevant but I absolutely detest the way this guy speaks. I cannot watch their videos for longer than a few seconds.

Yeah I can't quite tell whether he thinks that everyone watching is 5, he's bored or he's just taking the pi55.  Which is a shame because actually he makes some interesting points (as well as some inane points).

• Like 1

Â