Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

9 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Chris Heck doesn't understand the football culture. He is making very American decisions on things, but this isn't America. This is a sport and club with more history than all American sport put together.

With a saturated market in this country but an ever expanding global market waiting to happen... 

None of these decisions will be for us, sad reality of it

They're not doing this to make B postcode 40+ year season ticket holder die hard fans like the club a little bit more 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

With a saturated market in this country but an ever expanding global market waiting to happen... 

None of these decisions will be for us, sad reality of it

They're not doing this to make B postcode 40+ year season ticket holder die hard fans like the club a little bit more 

But if we want more through the turnstyles we have to cater to the b postcodes as well.

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

But if we want more through the turnstyles we have to cater to the b postcodes as well.

That's not going to be done based on the badge and the brand

That's done on winning football matches and buying "big name" footballers 

• Like 2

The use of the Lerner lion when they have a new superior lion already designed is a clear cost saving Measure. No need to change the standalone Lerner lions that exist around the ground and on our merch now. The leaked badge uses the new Aston Villa font from the round badge so they are clearly not against reusing elements of the new badge, just not the lion. I think this aspect annoys me the most.
Can’t wait to see how they try to spin this when it is unveiled. I would have a lot more respect for Heck if he was honest and said it is a cost saving measure to have a badge refresh rather than redesign, so we can focus funds on our playing squad. Instead we will no doubt get some flowery marketing language about how the ‘classic’ lion has more ‘heritage’ and ‘recognition’.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

"If".

The club will make more money from having 30 million new fans in the US and Far East than it will by adding 8,000 to the capacity.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

"If".

The club will make more money from having 30 million new fans in the US and Far East than it will by adding 8,000 to the capacity.

Yep there's your sad reality 

We are not the target audience of all these changes 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's not going to be done based on the badge and the brand

That's done on winning football matches and buying "big name" footballers 

That is true, but that is also the case further afield. Ultimately winning games and trophies is what will spur our growth not a badge. A badge is about history and tradition for me.

This new badge is terrible, not matter how you look at it. It's a step backwards. The round badge is far superior, even the Lerner badge is better, and this is just a poor rehash of that. The Lerner badge to be fair wasn't and bad badge. This new one just wrecks the simplicity of the Lerner badge which was It's strength.

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

Chris Heck doesn't understand the football culture. He is making very American decisions on things, but this isn't America. This is a sport and club with more history than all American sport put together.

Perhaps the fast-and-loose decisionmaking seems American, but the crest under discussion is definitely not typical of the American approach to professional sports marketing.  That is usually a hyper-branded, highly designed, tightly managed, high-stakes endeavor.  I thought for sure we'd get something refined and original.  That's why I'm in denial that this disgrace of a trademark (and so far, it is only that) is coming from an American chief.

(And I'll refrain from an opposing digression into American baseball history.) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yep there's your sad reality 

We are not the target audience of all these changes 

Please let’s not buy the narrative that this badge is done with the international fan in mind.  I belong to 5 different Asian and North American Villa forums/chat groups and the great majority in each forum despise the leaked badge.  

“International audience” is a convenient excuse football owners/administrators use when they screw up these days. I recall the Arsenal owner saying they initially joined the Super League because that is what the majority of international Arsenal fans wanted. I actually know quite a few international Arsenal fans including two who are fan club chapter presidents and they all pretty much hated the idea of the Super League.  

4 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Please let’s not buy the narrative that this badge is done with the international fan in mind.  I belong to 5 different Asian and North American Villa forums/chat groups and the great majority in each forum despise the leaked badge.  

“International audience” is a convenient excuse football owners/administrators use when they screw up these days. I recall the Arsenal owner saying they initially joined the Super League because that is what the majority of international Arsenal fans wanted. I actually know quite a few international Arsenal fans including two who are fan club chapter presidents and they all pretty much hated the idea of the Super League.  

In fairness bro, I find alot of the " International" groups are mostly Brits just living in the regions the groups are designated to? Lol

Why does the badge need to be simple, most of the other badges in the league are quite busy designs (Newcastle, Man City, etc) and they manage. Wolves has the most simple badge but their not smashing it commercially are they. Success on the pitch drives commercial growth and brand awareness.  

If we have elements from the badge that we can use for separate media channels, the lion, 1874, AV even, surely we’d be able to get a bit more of Aston Villa into the badge design itself. 

At present the basic design echos West Ham’s in its simplicity and that badge is shit IMHO.

Edited by burchy

2 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Setting aside that baseball is older than our club, the shit does this have to do with anything?

You honestly think the issue with this design is that it fails to consider historical input?

4 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I'm inclined to agree with the first sentence. Not sure if you can say his decisions are "very American" unless you think arrogance and poor judgment are uniquely American. Your last sentence is not accurate. Baseball and gridiron were both first played mid 19th century. Ice hockey since early 20th, and basketball mid century. If any country's sporting history rivals Britain, it is the U.S. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rolta said:

Eh. If they think the Lerner v1/2 is better then they're not very good designers! (except for the drop shadow—if their objection is because of that then that's a different matter). And yes that is my opinion!

I'd take the last 'Lerner' badge over the alleged new, cobbled together, imbalanced thing any day. And can confidently say I'm regarded as a good designer.

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

I'd take the last 'Lerner' badge over the alleged new, cobbled together, imbalanced thing any day. And can confidently say I'm regarded as a good designer.

Can't agree mate, I'd suggest you are more thinking with your heart over you design " head "  as you're pissed off about it all.

Even just glancing at them, the Lerner badge is definitely.more shite and less defined.

The dropshadow ( yes I know ) at least defines the yellow lion a little more on the background.

This is not me saying it's great by any means either.

The monochrome versions however, are debatable.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â