Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

8 hours ago, Muller Yogurt Long Sleever said:

To be honest I'd rather us pull a Juve and do something new, than look amateur to the world. Their rebrand a few years back was controversial but was at least ownable and well-made as a body of identity work.

(Ideally just a **** well-designed Aston Villa lion rampant badge with a little something something to stand us apart though please.)

That's it now. High horse is knackered.

I **** love the new Juve badge. I think it's absolutely genius. 

I don't think it would work with Villa. Villa fans (and English football fans in general) are too traditional I think. We like harking back to days of old and retro is looked on more fondly than ultra modern.

But I agree I'd rather try something like that than this current monstrosity

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

This one was the best one I think I saw in the lead up. Just got the colour balance right.

A gold lion on claret gives the best possible contrast for the lion given our colours, and using the blue in the outer circle to ensure there's enough blue in the badge works perfectly. The font is clean and timeless, and the outer gold circle means it will work on any background.

The only change I would have made is to include the new lion, facing left, and remove the star, like this.

Villabadge.jpg.be867a651bb4a45d0ef8fc03ab68b1a1.jpg

It also works scaled down, with the lion, and a good balance of claret and blue all easily distinguishable

Villabadgescaled.jpg.450045a9543378028d072d094b90d3ef.jpg

This badge but using the colour pallette from the AV150 logo would be sexual

• Like 1

The penny dropped with me this morning. There is a clash of cultures within the Villa fan base.

There are those of us of a certain age who see Villa as a huge club doing big things and those of a younger generation who saw the Lerner era and see us further down the pecking order, behind the likes of Chelsea. There are those of us who remember Villa Park hosting Euro 96 games, FA Cup Semi finals and the 1999 Cup Winners Cup final and those who remember us having a smaller ground than the likes of Sunderland and West Ham.

Villa has been so badly run since the early 2000s and that is why people like me are frustrated that we have deferred the North Stand rebuild and have people telling us our classic, past inspired badge is a Chelsea knock off but I do 'get it'. We just grew up with very different Aston Villa.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm now of the opinion that this can't be it.

I know the TM thing makes it seem competely legit.

But I just cannot believe that the club ok'd that design. I can't fathom it. It's so unprofessional

I’m praying you are right.  Maybe putting out something out so shit that they then put out real one that we accept just as long it’s not that shit one.

I'm surprised we've not had some kind of message from the club yet.

The brand relaunch was ruined by either being too incompetent to realise that IPO submissions are public, or being naive enough to think nobody would be paying attention, people have been shitting all over it for 48 hours, and it's just radio silence.

Not exactly rushing to control the narrative are they. What the **** are they all playing at, have they not come back from their Christmas holidays yet?

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.d4e911979ba8b98eb5f1083c6e92864b.png

The proposed / leaked crest looks like a bit of a mess. Others have mentioned it but it's like there was an Apprentice task to rebrand Villa in an afternoon. It recycles existing assets (lion, star and colour  scheme from the 'old' badge, together with the Font from the rejected Gaslamp crest), adds 1874 in a default neutral font, and places them within a new shield that has been engineered to not look like too much like the current one, or those of other teams.

I think people found the 'Gaslamp' Crest a bit underwhelming, and fans have a real attachment to the old round crest for obvious reasons, so it was never going to win the vote, but it's a solidly designed crest, that resolves a most of the issues with the the AVFC shield. It has a strong distinctive shape, with a nice rationale/story, a good fierce looking lion, nice bespoke typography, decent contrast, and a sense of horizontal and vertical balance. I'd delete the star though if I was to tweak it.

Personally, I'd like something very unique with wow factor like the Juventus J Shield or Venezia's bold V, but the 'Gaslamp' is an acceptable middle ground if the Club feels that it can't stray too far from the norm.

This new leaked 'proposed' shield design, while adding 'Aston Villa', seems to create more problems than it resolves. The vertical balance is off; the small size of the 1874 and its position between the text and lion creates awkward space in the lower centre of the badge; the drop shadow attempting to create some depth and contrast, looks awkward, cheap and dare I say it lazy (Chelsea's badge - we love this comparison! - uses a drop shadow, but in a much more subtle way and the shadow is applied to the dark blue lion on a white background, so it does not stick out like a sore thumb); the double shield outline (forming a triple outline when coloured) adds visual clutter and busyness to the crest, draws the eye away from the main elements; the shape feels over-designed in order to create something that is slightly different from the existing version, and other major British Club shields (Arsenal, Burnley, Everton, Fulham, West Ham, Newcastle, Leeds etc, together with the insert shield in City and United); the text alignment clashes with the point of the shield; 1874 in Helvetica seems like an afterthought; the lion lacks detail and texture, looking flat and low impact.

Ultimately, to undertake yet another re-design in such a short period was never going to work out well. If they wanted to do it they should have taken a year, and launched post-the 150 anniversary. Instead, it looks like it's been fudged in-house with predictable results.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The penny dropped with me this morning. There is a clash of cultures within the Villa fan base.

There are those of us of a certain age who see Villa as a huge club doing big things and those of a younger generation who saw the Lerner era and see us further down the pecking order, behind the likes of Chelsea. There are those of us who remember Villa Park hosting Euro 96 games, FA Cup Semi finals and the 1999 Cup Winners Cup final and those who remember us having a smaller ground than the likes of Sunderland and West Ham.

Villa has been so badly run since the early 2000s and that is why people like me are frustrated that we have deferred the North Stand rebuild and have people telling us our classic, past inspired badge is a Chelsea knock off but I do 'get it'. We just grew up with very different Aston Villa.

What are you talking about, the 90's was only a couple years back...

...oh.  Oh God.

Aging.gif.44862f7f079f6de60005318b7864f5e7.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Oh, I'm serious. Even Wolves supporters manage to figure out which club they support by looking at their crest. 😁 No need to waste space and make clutter with the name. Context tells us everything, and in those few instances where it doesn't, put the name there. Less is more.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have no idea who those two clubs are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Nobody currently living was here before the 90's? Sweet, I'm now only 34. 

FYI, Roker Park Sunderland was 22k and Upton Park West Ham 34k. We never had a smaller ground than WH until recently and until Sunderland moved to the stadium of light. 

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I have no idea who those two clubs are.

Galatasaray and Sampdoria 

The Sampdoria one is Popeye a few months after Olive ditched him and he let himself go. 

Edited by avfc1982am

2 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Wasn’t the badge due for release this week?

I wonder if Heck & co have doubled back..

They just said it would be released in a couple of weeks, not necessarily this week I believe

26 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Nobody currently living was here before the 90's? Sweet, I'm now only 34. 

FYI, Roker Park Sunderland was 22k and Upton Park West Ham 34k. We never had a smaller ground than WH until recently and until Sunderland moved to the stadium of light. 

I know ,that's what I am saying. I am saying I find it hard to accept how many grounds have overtaken ours. I am old! I want the new stand built yesterday...

Edited by Captain_Townsend

10 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

They just said it would be released in a couple of weeks, not necessarily this week I believe

John Townley on claret and blue podcast yesterday intimated that the release was imminent in the next few days so we are still within that period.

I strongly suspect there will be a pause. He would have to be as thick as pig shit and would be printing his own P45 if he hasn’t already realised that his crest is going to go down like a bucket full of cold puke. 

Edited by DakotaVilla

Â