Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

28 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I mean... we don't seriously believe that leak is actually legit, right?  Even with our well-storied history of blunders, I absolutely cannot believe that that sub-Wordart-cobbled-together-by-someone-flunking-GCSE-graphic-design monstrosity is in anyway legit?  It's just too shit for that to possibly be the case.

Just to compound your misery: https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcase/page/Results/1/UK00003993939

• Sad 1

We've had more badges than we have trophies.

You've just got to choose one and leave it for 20 years, no one really cares.

Is anyone really losing sleep still that about 20 years ago, Arsenal changed their badge?  

I'd rather focus on the football. 

You'll never please everyone, so just pick one and get on with it. 

What I will say though, is that we've had so many badge changes in the last 15 years, you see about 4 different versions when you go to VP, see us on TV, the BBC - it's stupid we haven't got a proper identity, and that's because we change too often. 

4 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

What's the 'professional' obsession with having a yellow lion on blue? I'm only a peon amateur, and clearly don't deserve to have an opinion, but surely any fool can see that claret on blue is more impactful?

Or yellow on claret.

7 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

What's the 'professional' obsession with having a yellow lion on blue? I'm only a peon amateur, and clearly don't deserve to have an opinion, but surely any fool can see that claret on blue is more impactful?

Yep, just forget about using yellow altogether.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the AV150 logo is shit. But I think it at least looks like it's been done by an actual design company. There's some air of professionalism about it that I can't put my finger on (again that doesn't mean it's actually good. I'd say the infamous Leeds badge looked like it was professionally done, but it was just totally shit)

There's nothing professional looking about this Heck badge. Even if the design was good, the way it's put together just looks **** terrible

This is the thing for me -- the logo is both the wrong direction for me visually AND incredibly poorly executed. As you say the Leeds one is the wrong design idea for Leeds, but it's very tastefully designed. It would be great for a trade union or something

53 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Do we know what design house supposedly worked on this badge (and the AV150 travesty too)? I'm not being funny but I wouldn't be shocked to discover someone on Heck's family fancies themselves a designer and they've done them, with Heck proudly saying he's done a rebrand on **** all cost (because his missus/sister/kids did it).

There's no way an actual design house has touched that. Because it looks **** shit. Like, knocked up on Publisher circa 2001 shit. By someone who doesn't understand graphic design concepts very well. And certainly not graphic design in 2024.

It's gonna turn out that that AV150(/AU150/A1500) is actually Heck's wife's handwriting, isn't it?

Most parents put their kids school paintings on the fridge, Heck puts it on our club

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Couldn't agree more and I've posted as such before. 

Design by committee or wife consultation sucks. Every time. 

By doing it we're locking a designer into a box ticking exercise that severely limits what they can do. 

The surveys should never have occurred. Any consultation with fans needed to be about feeling, not about specifics design elements. And then the fans shouldn't have had another say at all until a final sign off. 

Hire a great designer and let them do their job without hamstringing them with inane survey results. 

This wasn’t because the elements were shit, it’s because the design is shit.  So many of the fans have had great designs with the same restrictions.  Trying to give the designers/club an excuse is disingenuous because it’s been shown elsewhere and in this forum great designs with the same components having to be included.  It’s just a shit design.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Couldn't agree more and I've posted as such before. 

Design by committee or wife consultation sucks. Every time. 

By doing it we're locking a designer into a box ticking exercise that severely limits what they can do. 

The surveys should never have occurred. Any consultation with fans needed to be about feeling, not about specifics design elements. And then the fans shouldn't have had another say at all until a final sign off. 

Hire a great designer and let them do their job without hamstringing them with inane survey results. 

It's not design by committee, though. The last one was. This one is not, because pretty much most of the things previously discussed (and voted on) during the last consultation have been chucked in the bin in favour of the opinions and tastes of Heck (amounting to a nominal rejig of the existing badge). 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

For us to end up with a yellow lion on a blue background after all of this is criminal. An absolute disgrace, especially if readability at all sizes is paramount. 

See you prove my point above.

1 hour ago, Jimmyg said:

I am still finding it hard to believe that this is the badge. 

But as much the proposed badge annoys some people, having a round badge in the current or 82 template annoys me.... It's just so alike to so many crests throughout the league and the comparison to Chelsea's will forever be there whether we had it first etc etc or not. 

I totally agree with the change..not sure whether the supposed new one is the way to go. But it's defo more unique than the current. 

I didn't particularly like the retro badge, but that is what the fans voted for by a clear majority. Botching the launch and then seemingly replacing it with another crest with minimal consultation is not a great way to go.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

We've had more badges than we have trophies.

You've just got to choose one and leave it for 20 years, no one really cares.

Is anyone really losing sleep still that about 20 years ago, Arsenal changed their badge?  

I'd rather focus on the football. 

You'll never please everyone, so just pick one and get on with it. 

What I will say though, is that we've had so many badge changes in the last 15 years, you see about 4 different versions when you go to VP, see us on TV, the BBC - it's stupid we haven't got a proper identity, and that's because we change too often. 

As a counterpoint, we change too often because we never get it right. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

As a counterpoint, we change too often because we never get it right. 

And the changes are needless. We basically changed our badge 15 years ago. It's evolved slightly.

Then last year we changed it again to something that was fine. i know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but the round badge is fine.

If it was left at that then we'd probably have that one for 10-20 years and it wouldn't seem like we were having so many badges.

But because Heck has decided to scrap the badge that everyone voted on and come up with a new one we've got yet another badge. And if it's this abomination then I imagine the backlash will be so bad that we could well end up with ANOTHER one. 

So it's all of the club's making. If they'd just stuck with the round badge we wouldn't have any of this nonsense

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

I mean... we don't seriously believe that leak is actually legit, right?  Even with our well-storied history of blunders, I absolutely cannot believe that that sub-Wordart-cobbled-together-by-someone-flunking-GCSE-graphic-design monstrosity is in anyway legit?  It's just too shit for that to possibly be the case.

We may be OK as there are a couple of monochrome badges in the trademark that could be used on the actual shirt :trollface:

• Haha 1

I've been thinking about this since it dropped, and I think Heck has been working on the basis of a flawed initial scope. 

If you look at what he did with the 76ers logo, he took the previous one, in place before his arrival:

image.png.cb848911a13b09a8b7d10500f9cba8ff.png

Whacked it in a roundel to create: 

image.png.aad114e5f922d3087bb6b161c7e3db93.png

No question it looks better, but the core design inside the roundel is almost identical. It's also similar to the one they used between 1977 and 1997, so there is a lot of history with this. 

The problem at Villa is that he inherited a badge that most disliked, and almost no-one loved. During the consultation in 2022, out of 21,500 voters, 8% (eight!) opted to keep the crest. 

He appears to have applied a similar formula to his redesign of the Villa crest, redesign, tidying, and modernising of the previous design. But to do this he's put on hold the rebrand that 77% of 21,500 people voted for, and applied his formula to the wrong badge. The one that 92% of people wanted to ditch.    

If he'd done this with the most recent one, he'd have had much, much more support, and I bet it would have been a hundred times better. 

• Like 4

Most of us accept there will be difference in taste.  i did not like the result of the Purslow badge but at least it was professionally done (by the agency Dragon Rouge) and I was accepting of it. 

The problem many of us had with the original Lerner badge and  now  the Heck badge is they clearly have design flaws that leads one to believe they were not professionally done (probably dictated to an in house graphic designer instead - who would likely not have a comprehensive background in branding or merchandising). That is utter incompetence for a badge that will projected across the globe and on thousands of pieces of merchandise.  

one other note - Ive seen some utter nonsense online by defenders of Heck that this logo was designed with the Asian audiences in mind, etc. - thus the golden lion…I am on several Asian Villa chat groups and the leaked logo has been universally panned in those groups.  

• Like 1

Â