Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

35 minutes ago, villa82 said:

This

IMG_0228.png

What annoys me is this above seems to very closely match the colours on the AV150 logo. Which was the only good thing about that logo. 
And look how nice the colours look when applied to a proper crest. Seems like such a simple fix

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What annoys me is this above seems to very closely match the colours on the AV150 logo. Which was the only good thing about that logo. 
And look how nice the colours look when applied to a proper crest. Seems like such a simple fix

Very hard to get that shade of gold in MsPaint and the lion in Clipart is Mustard yellow only. 

Edited by villa89
  • Haha 1

Do we know what design house supposedly worked on this badge (and the AV150 travesty too)? I'm not being funny but I wouldn't be shocked to discover someone on Heck's family fancies themselves a designer and they've done them, with Heck proudly saying he's done a rebrand on **** all cost (because his missus/sister/kids did it).

There's no way an actual design house has touched that. Because it looks **** shit. Like, knocked up on Publisher circa 2001 shit. By someone who doesn't understand graphic design concepts very well. And certainly not graphic design in 2024.

It's gonna turn out that that AV150(/AU150/A1500) is actually Heck's wife's handwriting, isn't it?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Do we know what design house supposedly worked on this badge (and the AV150 travesty too)? I'm not being funny but I wouldn't be shocked to discover someone on Heck's family fancies themselves a designer and they've done them, with Heck proudly saying he's done a rebrand on **** all cost (because his missus/sister/kids did it).

There's no way an actual design house has touched that. Because it looks **** shit. Like, knocked up on Publisher circa 2001 shit. By someone who doesn't understand graphic design concepts very well. And certainly not graphic design in 2024.

It's gonna turn out that that AV150(/AU150/A1500) is actually Heck's wife's handwriting, isn't it?

I think the AV150 logo is shit. But I think it at least looks like it's been done by an actual design company. There's some air of professionalism about it that I can't put my finger on (again that doesn't mean it's actually good. I'd say the infamous Leeds badge looked like it was professionally done, but it was just totally shit)

There's nothing professional looking about this Heck badge. Even if the design was good, the way it's put together just looks **** terrible

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

So what are we looking at then? 

A fans vs club battle legally as they haven't followed FA procedures? Will they just go ahead and we won't have a leg to stand on? 

This could really sour the atmosphere around the whole club, especially saddening when things are going so well on the pitch at the moment. It was the other way around about a year ago. 

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

As far as I know, these rules are completely untested, so we may find out if they've got any teeth or if a rigged survey as a box ticking exercise is all it takes to claim there's been adequate fan consultation.

I believe @OutByEaster? has already stated that the consultation rules were met, it may have been the minimum required, but they were met all the same, the MOMS guy is just blowing smoke for engagement.

If this is indeed going to be the new crest the fans really don't have too much of an argument, it is obviously a villa crest and has all the ingredients the fans voted for in the survey, they've not done anything radically different enough for the FA to be interested, there's nothing there that it is against our heritage.

The rules are in place to stop the owners adding a unicorn pooping rainbows to our crest, not to step in because they haven't changed the colours.

I'll give my thoughts on this crest if/when it's confirmed, and try and explain some of the thought process behind it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean... we don't seriously believe that leak is actually legit, right?  Even with our well-storied history of blunders, I absolutely cannot believe that that sub-Wordart-cobbled-together-by-someone-flunking-GCSE-graphic-design monstrosity is in anyway legit?  It's just too shit for that to possibly be the case.

Wasn't one of the things Heck didn't like about the round badge is that it doesn't scale well for media and digital, eg when smaller on screen and TV?

If that's the case why does this new badge not remove the washed out yellow lion issues from the Lerner badge, and in fact make it worse by adding a shadow? How is adding a shadow going to make the badge work better in digital use? 

I am not a graphic designer so may he taking total shit and would be happy to be wrong buy certainly seems to fly in the face of the reason to ditch the round badge?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I mean... we don't seriously believe that leak is actually legit, right?  Even with our well-storied history of blunders, I absolutely cannot believe that that sub-Wordart-cobbled-together-by-someone-flunking-GCSE-graphic-design monstrosity is in anyway legit?  It's just too shit for that to possibly be the case.

It's not a leak, and unfortunately there is no way for it not to be legit, as it's been submitted for trade mark by the Club. No other option has been submitted for trade mark. This is the badge. 

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Wasn't one of the things Heck didn't like about the round badge is that it doesn't scale well for media and digital, eg when smaller on screen and TV?

If that's the case why does this new badge not remove the washed out yellow lion issues from the Lerner badge, and in fact make it worse by adding a shadow? How is adding a shadow going to make the badge work better in digital use? 

I am not a graphic designer so may he taking total shit and would be happy to be wrong buy certainly seems to fly in the face of the reason to ditch the round badge?

I think not being a graphic designer is probably a good thing when it comes to actual design. Becoming a professional seems to transform intuitive artists with a good sense of composition into total idiots, to put it nicely.

Edited by His Name Is Death

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Yup. Made a rod for their own back by specifically asking "Do you want a star?", "Do you want 1874?".

Regardless of people's preferences, I doubt many would really kick up a fuss if we didn't have 1874 or didn't have a star, but now we've voted and specifically said yes, they've got to cram all this shit in.

As we've seen though, even with those limitations, fans have created several versions that still look better than the mess we've ended up with.

Couldn't agree more and I've posted as such before. 

Design by committee or by consultation sucks. Every time. 

By doing it we're locking a designer into a box ticking exercise that severely limits what they can do. 

The surveys should never have occurred. Any consultation with fans needed to be about feeling, not about specifics design elements. And then the fans shouldn't have had another say at all until a final sign off. 

Hire a great designer and let them do their job without hamstringing them with inane survey results. 

Edited by ThunderPower_14
Autocorrect
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

For us to end up with a yellow lion on a blue background after all of this is criminal. An absolute disgrace, especially if readability at all sizes is paramount. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

t's not a leak, and unfortunately there is no way for it not to be legit, as it's been submitted for trade mark by the Club. No other option has been submitted for trade mark. This is the badge. 

Say **** what now. 

Barf.gif.184f88f8e51cb2b66539325899ef4f3f.gif

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Yep…

not difficult is it and so much more effective?

spacer.png

spacer.png

but I’d still prefer Aston Villa at the top rather than it be “relegated” to the bottom… 

I’d prefer something more akin to this and the colour scheme:

image.thumb.jpeg.4d3a9633eacd6f4d0aa335744034fa1f.jpeg

The biggest source of frustration/annoyance/disappointment is the lack of change and imagination, zero creativity.

It is just, literally, a minor alteration to the 2nd Lerner badge which is more than underwhelming… especially after all the fuss and noise over recent years… seems like a completely unnecessary shortcut that doesn’t make any sense… almost like it’s some sort of cost cutting exercise but it isn’t that either is it?

The worst thing is keeping the blue and yellow colour scheme… it’s disastrous and disappointing…

Again, it all seems pointless so we may aswell just keep the AVFC badge then and sod changing anything and wasting more time n money on this crap…

It was only worth it to bring about something fresh, new and different that would have a lot more appeal to it - this actually has less!

An utter waste.

I really don't hate the new design but I think you're spot on that the colours need to change and some of the designs you've posted are way better than the one suggested. The design itself could be a real grower but as usual the cackhanded way we have gone about this is the thing that bothers everyone the most.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Chindie said:

My guess is one of the in-house designers at the club, with someone watching over their shoulder telling them to “make it pop” or “see how the lion looks with a drop shadow”

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

This is **** beautiful. And I wasn't a massive proponent of the round badge. 

It's literally perfect.

This is exactly why 'professionals' reject it. Something being traditionally (and, therefore, actually) beautiful is offensive to professionals because, to them, it's too 'obviously' beautiful - and a traditional badge doesn't aid people like Heck, who are going to be giving all the PR/marketing speak and need buzzwords. So, instead, they bugger about trying to reinvent the wheel.

Edited by His Name Is Death

its like an episode of the Apprentice where the contestants bicker away and the poor designer has to deliver what they give him 

but that said  , I'm not overly bothered by the crest  ... I'm not a Geordie  so and don't wear football shirts to weddings and restaurants so the crest won't really impact me in any way shape or form 

• Like 1

This whole situation stinks. The sheer cheek of Heck to claim the fans have been consulted when he’s literally ignored the original fan poll. That leaked badge is absolute garbage - looks like something a ten year old has designed. The detail of the lion is far superior on this season’s badge. The Aston Villa should be at the top. There’s not enough claret. It’s infuriating and he cannot get away with it.

Edited by Chasetown Villa

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

its like an episode of the Apprentice where the contestants bicker away and the poor designer has to deliver what they give him 

100% accurate.

I don't like the crest shape - the curved out top is weird. And the yellow lion is crap. But I'm not that fussed about it in the long run - just want us to be good at football.

Â