Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

1 hour ago, Enda said:

I’d like the club to innovate every year for five years. Get a new designer, not a committee but one new person each year, to design the badge for the next season.

Everyone knows they’re temporary. At the end of the five years, fans vote on their favourite. It lasts ten years.

That's just madness and the exact opposite of a modern branding exercise.

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Bang of West Ham off it no?

I don't see that, but anyway it's not going to be this exact mockup that someone has made on VT. All I mean is, just make it a shield with the name of the club, a lion and a star, and really it can hardly be much better or worse than the one in the post I'm quoting. People get way too worked up about this stuff anyway, but the one thing I will say is it's quite embarrassing how similar our round badge is to Chelsea so moving away from that is the only priority I would have. 

34 minutes ago, est1874 said:

That's just madness and the exact opposite of a modern branding exercise.

You say that as if a “modern branding exercise” is a good thing. I hate a lot of modernity, and a lot of marketing is flash in the pan nonsense.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t think anybody really trusts Heck to do a good job do they? 

I trust our owners to choose the right man for the job. If there's bumps along the way, so be it.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 2

I reckon, as a marketer, Heck saw us release a new badge a year before one of the most significant anniversaries and saw it as a missed opportunity to be a coordinated celebration/marketing move. Then would've seen that it's similar to a rival and the brand recognition element kicked in. 

I do like a shield, and would be interested to see if it's a change of shape using 1957 as an influence. If it isn't, I still think our old shield contrasts well when compared against the silhouettes of others. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

This would literally be fine. 

It would. It’s better than the Lerner one. But it’s not as good as the round one. 

And it would be weird for Heck to stop the round badge in its tracks just to go back to something very very safe. 

It would make you wonder what the real driver was

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It would. It’s better than the Lerner one. But it’s not as good as the round one. 

And it would be weird for Heck to stop the round badge in its tracks just to go back to something very very safe. 

What would you suggest it was?

As said before the talk from MOMS podcast was the new crest was an evolution of the Lerner crest. If that's accurate (and why wouldn't it be) you're not getting anything markedly different to what we have now (in some contexts, thanks to the complete shit show of this summer and the Purslow badge) and what we have had for the last 15 odd years, with minor tweaking over that time. Set phasers to meh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

As said before the talk from MOMS podcast was the new crest was an evolution of the Lerner crest. If that's accurate (and why wouldn't it be) you're not getting anything markedly different to what we have now (in some contexts, thanks to the complete shit show of this summer and the Purslow badge) and what we have had for the last 15 odd years, with minor tweaking over that time. Set phasers to meh.

I'll reserve judgement til I see it myself.

Particularly given that MOMS is probably the daftest, mardiest eejit ever to emerge from Villa fandom, which is saying something. He's a few lights short of a Christmas tree.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

What would you suggest it was?

I have no idea. 

Maybe to make a point about the old CEO? Stop something that was his baby?

It would just seem weird to me to be so against the round badge that you’re willing to throw the baby out with the bath water only to go for something really tame.

Doesnt make sense to me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I have no idea what drives Heck's decisions, but as I said above the similarity to the Chelsea logo seems like it could be an issue if nothing else. 

I don't know, the Philadelphia 76'ers logo is one of about 5 or so round logos with a basket ball on it and one of at least 10 round ones that's not that unlike ours (and Chelsea's).

Maybe he hates that 76'ers logo he helped create...

Â