Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

God knows why they want to go back to a shield. It’s just so outdated now. Go for the lion on its own, it will be unique (for now), simple and a lot more ‘current’. I can’t believe it has gone on for as long as it has, it’s embarrassing, really. 

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Even looking at wolves logo the other day, I thought that was unique, but you instantly know. ( Yes potentially slightly generic from a design perspective and some would say gives " MLS vibes " but still )

Yeah, the Wolves crest was a very brave bit of design back in ~1979, they managed to create something that was both unique and long-lasting, it's only needed a few tweaks in all that time. Not only is the wolf design instantly recognisable, but they added the hexagon in 2002 and that is now unique to them as well. It's a really solid brand they have.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tayls said:

God knows why they want to go back to a shield. It’s just so outdated now. Go for the lion on its own, it will be unique (for now), simple and a lot more ‘current’. I can’t believe it has gone on for as long as it has, it’s embarrassing, really. 

Lion on it's own also gives MUCH more flexibility of use, and to evolve, add and detract as needed.

Don’t known how accurate but I’ve seen it on Reddit supposedly an email from the club with the results from the survey. Struggling to link, apologies.

Based on the feedback it looks like it’s going to be lion to the left, with a star, either “Aston Villa” or “Aston Villa FC” and “1874”. Seems like enough people agreed with a shield shape to not put them off idea.

After all this I think we’re going to end up with a better version of the AVFC one we had/currently have.

Villans,

I am absolutely thrilled at the uptake of the recent fan consultation, with 16,000 Season Ticket Holders, Members and those on the Waiting List taking the opportunity to contribute their views via the Crest Survey. This is one of the largest responses in club history, and such a huge turnout has naturally provided us with a wealth of insights as we move forward with this important piece of work.  

In terms of next steps, we will now undertake a detailed review of the combined outputs from the 2022 consultation, alongside this refreshed perspective from 2023. Once this analysis is complete, we will work to incorporate fan feedback, as best as we can, along with the views of wider club stakeholders, before sharing our new club crest later this season. This reveal will form part of a wider refresh of the club’s brand and kit, on which we are currently focussing a great deal of our time, so that the club is ready to go to the next level in our 150th anniversary season in 2024/25.

As a club we are keen to ensure that our fans feel part of this re-design process, therefore I have taken the decision to share with you the summary of the results of the recent survey: 

16,000 validated surveys...
Supporters across our global base of Season Ticket Holders, Members and those on the Waiting List

Visually striking and recognisable...
60% believe that whilst the new crest should be claret and blue, it should also be visually striking and recognisable

How the shield design reflects our history...
52% of you strongly agreed or agreed that the shield shape design best reflects our heritage, with 20% holding a neutral point of view

Building a picture of our heritage...
68% felt that it is most important for the crest to build a picture of our heritage as a traditional club

Our name represented...
A combined 81% of you would like to see the name represented as either Aston Villa FC or Aston Villa

Lion facing left...
As for the Rampant Lion, 47% would like to see it facing to the left and 30% open to either direction

1874, a year to remember...
73% agree that 1874 should be included in the crest design

1982 European Cup celebration...
An overwhelming 85% would like to ensure we incorporate our 1982 European Cup star into the design

Furthermore, I am delighted to share that we have selected the five winners of our prize draw, each of whom will be contacted separately in order to receive their signed home shirt.

Last but not least, I would like to thank all of you who took the time to share your valuable opinions with us, and I am looking forward to the next chapter of this historic club as we kick off our 150th anniversary celebration.

UTV!

Chris Heck's signature  

Chris Heck
President of Business Operations

Sounds like they are basically going to a revamp of the previous badge. 

Edited by CosmicVillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Surprised how many wanted to keep the star. I wonder how much of the other 15% were like me and had no preference or actually wanted it dropped.

I think we shouldn’t have it. The badge is cleaner without it, less cluttered. And it’s more timeless.

The point was made by someone else what would happen if the women’s side won the champions league - we’re adding a star for them too I guess? For the sake of fairness I would say we have to. Everyone on board for that I wonder? My bet would be that a significant number wouldn’t be. 

But I concede the longer this all takes the more I lose interest and am just prepared to go with whatever. Would be nice to be somewhat unique but I don’t think we will be.

It does surprise me that seemingly more people want the star than want the club’s full name. Maybe it was the number of options for each question that affected the response.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So bored of this obsession with a star.

Just **** it off.

85% disagree with you

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

Can’t get more of one sided favourable in a survey like this than 85%.  Glad they will likely keep it imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, nick76 said:

85% disagree with you

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

Can’t get more of one sided favourable in a survey like this than 85%.  Glad they will likely keep it imo.

Out of interest Nick, do you think 85% would be happy if a second star is added if the women’s team earn one?

Yeah we earned the star but it does not define us.  Star on the back of the shirt where we have had lions in the past is fine.

Easily added to when we win it again.

I cannot believe 85% wanted it in the badge 😫 

52% for a sheild seems odd when more than that voted for the round badge just last year!

Edited by S-Platt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

Yeah we earned the star but it does not define us.  Star in the back of the shirt where we have had lions in the past is fine.

Easily added to when we win it again.

I cannot believe 85% wanted it in the badge 😫 

52% for a sheild seems odd when more than that voted for the round badge just last year!

I honestly think there’s been a collective “Yeah, fine whatever” response to this. Like people are a bit fed up and want the club to just go with the design it wants. 

• Like 3

Â