Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Small beans, but I'm a bit narked that the new Fifa/EA Sports game still uses our old crest. 

And the club wonder why the badge release has not been a success... 

Regardless of whether the new badge is good or not (I personally like it) the half arsed approach has set it up for a PR disaster. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

As long as it's not completely horrible (and I'm pretty sure it won't be) then I think all we can do is embrace it - I hope it lasts.

I bet you these pages will be rammed with people saying how shit it is regardless of what they do. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheMelvillan said:

Much like new kit season, it's usually the fan efforts that you see on social media - or here - that look the best

The club should save a few quid, open a competition for fans to send in their mock ups and take it from there 

Some fan made ones looks good, but especially on the kits, they don’t have any actual knowledge of how to make a shirt, the limitations of colours, fabrics, costs, timescales, affixing badges, etc… so it’s like drawing a cool sports car in your maths book as a kid and saying ‘why can’t Ford make that car, it looks better than a fiesta’ 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Much like new kit season, it's usually the fan efforts that you see on social media - or here - that look the best

The club should save a few quid, open a competition for fans to send in their mock ups and take it from there 

We see a plethora of fan mock up Villa shirts each season and some of them are absolutely amazing.

You're right, we have some very talented folk on this forum who I dare say would give Fanatics a run for their money in designing a decent Villa kit. Our very own @NurembergVillan, @Teale's 'tache and all the other designers that we have amongst us on VT, I'm fairly confident would deliver a better result without a doubt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a-k said:

Not sure where to put this...some uproar in the Canadian Parliament about an honoree who turned out to have fought for a Nazi party...reading up on it, the Division's crest looks eerily familiar...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Waffen_Grenadier_Division_of_the_SS_(1st_Galician)

150px-Dyvizia_Galychyna-rukav.svg.png

The same could be said about thousands of other crests from around the world. We weren't the first to have a lion on the crest.

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The stripped down lion and year thing - the one we see on the blazers, that worries me.

I think it's beautiful.

But it's very much a right-now kind of beauty, it's on-trend, it works and it's a very sellable design. It'll be outdated in two years and need replacing. That's what I'd like to avoid, the constant state of change around the badge/crest. 

Sure is pretty though.

Maybe it's just something I need to get used to, that the future of club crests is similar to that of club kits - the colours stay the same but we get a new one every year. I dunno, it just feels to me that it shouldn't be something so disposable.

I agree with this. I like it, it looks nice and clean. But it's not a badge/crest

As part of the brand identity it's perfect. And have it on an away or a third kit like other clubs do, no issue with that.

But I'm reluctant to accept it as our "permanent" crest

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Correct. And if you do a bit of history on us, William McGregor, who was originally a Scottish draper before coming to Birmingham, adopted most of our identity from Scotland.

Our rampant lion and the Rangers lion are very similar, as too was our motto 'Prepared' with Rangers being 'Ready'. (Rangers were founded in 1872).

William McGregors wife, Jessie, was a Hearts fan and he himself a Rangers fan - our colours come from these two teams, the Claret of Hearts and the Blue of Rangers.

Also, fwiw, Our stadiums similarity come from both being designed by the same scottish architect, Archibald Leitch.

This is interesting 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Seattle Sounders of MLS just announced a rebrand. Think they did a good job (follow link to see the different applications of the logo).

spacer.png

Just plonk The Rotunda on there, change the date by 100 years and colours to claret and blue and we're done.

11 hours ago, sidcow said:

I keep seeing this and frankly it's laughable. 

Our "animal" is a lion. 

So is theirs. 

Other than dropping the lion I don't see what we can do. The badges are both round. We've had a round badge for long stretches of our history. 

But the badges are just not going to get confused. 

image.png.b157e1f18bdbdc7830d4aa9d7d1a5220.pngimage.png.127fb5e1eb229c35f6d3a0268ed5011b.png

The lion is massively different in style. Our Lion is curvy and muscular. Chelsea Lion looks bedraggled and starving like it's been lame and having to live off scavaging. 

They're different colours

They're facing different ways 

Chelsea lion has stolen a crossing ladies lollipop 

Their badge has footballs and flowers on it

Our badge has a date 

Our badge has a star

Chelsea lion has a tongue 

Our lion has the head facing forwards

Chelsea lion has its head turned. 

Frankly if you get the badges confused you must be brain damaged or something. 

As much as this thread just goes round and round with the same posters making the same points over and over again, thank you for this. The Chelsea comparisons really irritate me.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The stripped down lion and year thing - the one we see on the blazers, that worries me.

I think it's beautiful.

But it's very much a right-now kind of beauty, it's on-trend, it works and it's a very sellable design. It'll be outdated in two years and need replacing. That's what I'd like to avoid, the constant state of change around the badge/crest. 

Sure is pretty though.

Maybe it's just something I need to get used to, that the future of club crests is similar to that of club kits - the colours stay the same but we get a new one every year. I dunno, it just feels to me that it shouldn't be something so disposable.

We could easily do what Liverpool have done, which is have a simplified modern crest for the kit and merchandise, but also retain the historical style crest with the two designed to go hand in hand together.

The problem for us is because we keep changing the badge over the years we don’t really have a “historical” badge to use alongside a simplified version. The Lerner badge is universally disliked, and the new round badge is disliked by the management team probably for not being distinctive enough to have any value 

• Like 1

Â