Watkins or new CF?

Jas10

Watkins or new CF?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Should Watkins continue as our main CF?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/06/23 at 23:00

18 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Voted new, as if we want to get to the next level Watkins isn’t that striker, as can’t see him going on a scoring run like he did again, misses far to many one on one chances for me

Do you think Haaland will come here?

18 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Voted new, as if we want to get to the next level Watkins isn’t that striker, as can’t see him going on a scoring run like he did again, misses far to many one on one chances for me

That scoring run was indeed a one-off for him, hence he then went six without a goal, breaking that with the tap-in against Brighton.

22 hours ago, Tom13 said:

We need better

Look at the CF's that scored more goals than him last season in the PL, we are not going to get better. Watkins isn't the problem we simply need more goals from other attacking players to complement what he is doing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Look at the CF's that scored more goals than him last season in the PL, we are not going to get better. Watkins isn't the problem we simply need more goals from other attacking players to complement what he is doing.

I really wish it was as simple as how many goals a player scores. I listed what I believe his strengths and weaknesses are in another post, and I believe firmly in that.

Also, it's better to go off goals per minute rather than total goals scored.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

• Like 1

And I'm not saying all those with better GPM than him are better than him - certainly not!

Remember though, the majority were unhappy with Watkins on here for a long time - one scoring streak seems to have changed that.

Edited by Tom13

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I really wish it was as simple as how many goals a player scores. I listed what I believe his strengths and weaknesses are in another post, and I believe firmly in that.

Also, it's better to go off goals per minute rather than total goals scored.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

Goals per minute is BS! You'd rather Taiwo Awoniyi leading our line than Ollie? 

Watkins all the way for me. I think he’s more than capable of being a key forward for us this season, he’s our main striker but as others have stated we need to add goals around him. Ollie scoring 12-15 goals alongside two more forwards that can each reach 10, and we’re sorted. His immense energy is a real weapon for us, and we’ve seen him improve under Unai already, I still think he’s got space to grow into yet. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Goals per minute is BS! You'd rather Taiwo Awoniyi leading our line than Ollie? 

Well no but of course it's not bs if you compare it to someone who's played a similar number of minutes. Common sense.

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

And I'm not saying all those with better GPM than him are better than him - certainly not!

Remember though, the majority were unhappy with Watkins on here for a long time - one scoring streak seems to have changed that.

We were unhappy with the entire team under Gerrard to be fair.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

No, I don't think there is anyone available that would be an upgrade.

I disagree, as evidenced by the complete lack of hindering he did by being a key component of a team that was 2nd best in the league in the year 2023. 

The problem is we don’t know whose available, who would come and whether they’d be better suited to Emery’s system, and that’s why we leave it to Emery, his team and the club.  

If there is an upgrade available which is the point then we should do it, if there isn’t as you claim then obviously we shouldn’t…no disrespect but I’m not taking your claim there isn’t anyone that would be an upgrade.  If Emery finds there is and wants them so be it, if not then also so be it.  

What I know is that Ollie is very very good but has flaws.  Are there better strikers in the world than him? Yes.  Could we find one, that’s available and would come to us for a fee we can pay? No idea.  Is it a priority? Not main priority but if an opportunity came along then it’s worth considering.  As Emery said, every position is upgradeable.  I don’t think Ollie should leave but I believe we also need another striker at the club.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

Now you're talking about moving him out of position. He's best where he is and we're not going to be able to improve on him this window. We're lucky to have him. 

Not really. I was responding to your comment about him not being happy to be on the bench. My point is that if Emery wants a different CF or wants Ollie to play a different role then I don't care whether Ollie is happy or not. We might be lucky to have Ollie but we are luckier to have Emery.  I 100% think that Ollie will be starting for us next season probably at the point of a front 3.  But IF he is asked to play a slightly different role to last season then that is what he does. He's good but he isn't good enough to dictate how the rest of the team is set-up.

I think it’s more important at this moment in time to resolve the secondary striker position.

Neither Buendia or Bailey have put in consistent performances and both can be improved on.

get the right player in and Watkins could possibly score even more. 

• Like 1