Pau Torres

Delphinho123

52 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

From the same outlet that said we'd signed Alex the Carbon Dioxide Chambermaid

I wouldn't give that site the oxygen by quoting them tbh. 

FWIW, if we sign him, it won't be anything like 55m unless it includes CL qualification clauses and so on. And even then it'll be closer to 40m. Apparently...

If/When it happens, I can't wait for the media to lambast us for paying £30-40m for a player with a year left on his deal and then fawn over Arsenal/City for paying £100m + for Declan Rice who also has one year left on his deal

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

We will get him for around 35m.

If we pay anything more i will be shocked.

Anything more is too much. Many areas of concern with this signing.

Only a genius like Unai Emery makes it palatable.

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

To start the season: 

Digne, Mings, Pau, Cash (or new RB signing)

Once Moreno is healthy replace him with Digne.

I’m worried Mings form might drop if he gets pushed out right. Odd to see two left footed centerbacks but Emery knows what he’s doing. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Why?

Like others have said were already stacked at CB.

He's a great player who i really want but also seems a luxury signing at this point rather than a necessity and our greatest spending outlay this window will be in the attacking positions instead.

I can't see us spending 55m on a CB, we will meet them half way between the 30 - 40m rumoured and because he's in the last year of his deal and it's a fair offer they will take it.

The only way i forsee us paying more is if another club is in for him and starts a bidding war.

Edited by AshVilla

I think some of us are still thinking in financial terms of 'lower/mid table Villa'. If we are going to become 'top six Villa' we need to pay the going rate for players of the quality that Emery needs. To lose gettable targets because we start doing a 'Daniel Levy' would be unacceptable given the assurances Emery and Monchi have been given. I'm sure NSWE will rise to the occasion!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, ForeroGabe said:

I’m worried Mings form might drop if he gets pushed out right. Odd to see two left footed centerbacks but Emery knows what he’s doing. 

The problem though is if Mings was dropped you lose a critical aerial defender. Torres is known for not being great in the air so I think that aspect is too important to drop, especially in the PL. But if we signed Torres we’re not keeping him on the bench which is why I think he’d be slotted to RCB. Either way he will replace Mings eventually, Torres would clearly be our future at LCB.

Ironically, some of the stuff I was reading on Torres suggests one of his biggest weakness is struggling with a high line and the offside trap, which seems odd considering his development under Emery at Villarreal.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ForeroGabe said:

What you think our starting back four will be with Pau if it goes through? 

all being fit, and assuming a new RB, would prob be:

Moreno - Mings - Pau - RB or

Moreno - Pau - Carlos - RB or

Moreno Pau - Konsa - RB

probably.

or maybe even.....at a stretch:

Moreno - Mings - Pau - Carlos or

Moreno - Mings - Pau - Konsa

17 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Moreno Pau - Konsa - RB

probably.

Helpful 😅

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Moreno Pau - Konsa - RB

probably.

Emery played with Foyth as his RB at Villarreal. I think we're going to see 3CBs and a Fullback as the primary set up. We saw last season Young was not attacking down his flank and the back three were shifting over as Moreno was attacking.

Just think of it as two formations it's easiest to do that.

What position is everyone in when we're defending in our 4 4 2

What position is everyone in when we're in our attack shape of 3 box 3

Moreno for example is in LB in our defence and the is the LF in our attack shape

The RB is the RCB in a back three in our attack shape. Etc..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Emery played with Foyth as his RB at Villarreal. I think we're going to see 3CBs and a Fullback as the primary set up. We saw last season Young was not attacking down his flank and the back three were shifting over as Moreno was attacking.

Just think of it as two formations it's easiest to do that.

What position is everyone in when we're defending in our 4 4 2

What position is everyone in when we're in our attack shape of 3 box 3

Moreno for example is in LB in our defence and the is the LF in our attack shape

The RB is the RCB in a back three in our attack shape. Etc..

yeah, hence why i said possibly Konsa or Carlos, or another RB who can play the right centre back of a 3 role when we are attacking.

Will be interesting to see how we line up or the players we sign defensively, as i can see Emery wanted at least 2 upgrades in the defensive line tbh.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thabucks said:

So what happens if Mings snaps his Achilles ? We have Hause as back up currently.  Mings, Konsa & Carlos will need to raise their games to get into the team. Mings & co shouldn’t be guaranteed the shirt he must fight & earn it - competition breeds improvement. 

He will transform how we’ll play as he’s a class above Mings in terms of distribution and reading the game.

You bang on about Xavi Simon’s yet we’ve just given McGinn a new contract, we’ve got Ramsey so if following your logic we don't  need Simons as we have players who already play the position Simon’s is best at? 

Never once suggested we shouldn’t buy more CBs, cough INACIO cough, just surprised by how similar Torres and Mings are positionally and profile wise. I’d envisage us going for a younger understudy to Mings.

If we’ve got the cash to splash then so be it but your post made it sound like I didn’t want to strengthen the CBL position when I  do.

You’ve got me bang to rights about banging on about Simons but not for McGinn, more the left hand side cutting in so alongside JJ (competing with). For McGinns side I’d like someone like Otavio or Szoboszlai or Guler to provide competition. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

yeah, hence why i said possibly Konsa or Carlos, or another RB who can play the right centre back of a 3 role when we are attacking.

Will be interesting to see how we line up or the players we sign defensively, as i can see Emery wanted at least 2 upgrades in the defensive line tbh.

Yes, I think RCB in our back 4 can be left footed as they will end up as the central CB in the back 3 in possession. Also if we have a RB who is to invert and join midfield then could be a left footed RB, like Cancelo was for City in LB being right footed or Zinchenko does for Arsenal

There are quite a few ways we can set up and I think not being predictable is becoming key. Torres is a great ball player and carries the ball forward from defence a lot, his progressive carries is top in Europe for a CB. 

We're going to see lots of different things this season with build up play

• Like 1

re: competition with the amount of CBs we have. We have not experienced either Mings or Konsa with a significant injury that caused them to miss a lot of time (Konsa's injury was at the end of the year and kept him out of one or two games iirc). We have to look at what our record, since being promoted, is without having Mings in the back. I believe we have lost every single game without him. We have zero idea how Carlos' injury has impacted his long term game and I don't think any of us want to rely on Chambers being first choice for the whole year. this is exactly why we went in for Bednarek after Carlos' injury last summer. Especially with all the additional games we are hoping for this new season

• Like 1

Â