The General FFP (Financial Fair Play) Thread

Marka Ragnos

The salary caps in US sports has a myriad of exceptions, special rules and taxes that favors the rich owners. The NBA salary cap system is hilarious.

3 minutes ago, Jbvilla909 said:

I'm not sure how this goes through. If a player for example is earning £250k per week and they set the cap at £120k, how can they legally enforce that player to take a pay cut of that size? 

Does the PFA have a say on it? 

Good for us if they can but, I think it has more than a few hurdles to overcome 

It wouldn’t cap individual wages, just total wage and transfer spend. How the teams manage that between the playing squad is up to them. You could have one player on £500k a year if the rest of your team was on £20k. There would need to be a transition period to let the clubs that exceed the cap bring their spending in to line. I would vote for this in a heartbeat. The Sky six will resist this at all costs which tells you that it’s a great idea. I think the overall effect would be to suppress wages in the industry so doubt players unions or agents will be in favour either. 

17 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

It wouldn’t cap individual wages, just total wage and transfer spend. How the teams manage that between the playing squad is up to them. You could have one player on £500k a year if the rest of your team was on £20k. There would need to be a transition period to let the clubs that exceed the cap bring their spending in to line. I would vote for this in a heartbeat. The Sky six will resist this at all costs which tells you that it’s a great idea. I think the overall effect would be to suppress wages in the industry so doubt players unions or agents will be in favour either. 

Yeah that's how I read it too. Given wages need to be carefully distributed across a squad it'll put a lot of emphasis on youth development, this can only be good for the game overall. 

1 hour ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Ahh see, that makes sense. Cheers 

• 1 month later...

Barcelona and Man U fined about £500k and £300k respectively for breaching UEFA FFP. That'll show em'. They will think twice before doing something like that again.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, sne said:

Barcelona and Man U fined about £500k and £300k respectively for breaching UEFA FFP. That'll show em'. They will think twice before doing something like that again.

Ridiculous isn’t it

7 hours ago, sne said:

Alemany magic, the negotiating king 😂

• 5 weeks later...

I did think the same. In terms of "this window's business" they are very much in profit for this year.

Not quite that much as they've got their current player amortisation and salaries to factor in, which won't be a small number. 

The issue is they'll have to make those sales figures EVERY season if they keep wanting to spend £150m every window.

Saudi Arabi joining the insane transfer fee market makes their game plan far more safe unfortunately

This is why it was so important to have a good season, it's likely our best chance at getting that 5th Champions League spot.

We won't finish above City, Arsenal, Pool or Utd but to me it seemed like it could be a legit battle for 5th between us, Newcastle, Brighton, Chelsea. With Newcastle and Brighton having tough European games compared to us and Chelsea being almost a completely new team it's a good opportunity. If Newcastle retain CL or Chelsea get back in then it's going be even harder next season to disrupt them with the additional financial powers that come with it. There doesn't seem to be anything fair about FFP, just designed to keep the top teams at the top.

It's also why the Mings & Buendia injuries are even more brutal, we needed everyone this season. 

• 3 weeks later...

One of the many, many terrible things with FFP is that clubs are "forced" to sell their academy products to get in the green rather than keep them and integrate them into their senior squad. As this summer has shown we are very much a part of this. It's good business to sell like we did but for me it's also a bit sad to see the better academy talents move for FFP sake.

Chelsea shouldn't be allowed to spend as they are doing. The FFP boys should be on it already. As there is no doubt if Chelsea don't start winning things they will be absolutely *****ed! Although I'm sure PIF (the funders) will find a way to bail them out.

45 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Chelsea shouldn't be allowed to spend as they are doing. The FFP boys should be on it already. As there is no doubt if Chelsea don't start winning things they will be absolutely *****ed! Although I'm sure PIF (the funders) will find a way to bail them out.

I think they know a ban is incoming and are willing to take a gamble on it being lenient or dragging on for years.

50 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I was reading yesterday that with the players who have left it reduces their wage bill by about £2.5m PER WEEK.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I never...

85 million euros under scrutiny: PSG's transfers to Qatar under investigation by UEFA

Julian Draxler is the third player from the French club to leave for Qatar

The announcement of Julian Draxler's transfer to Al Ahli has set off alarm bells at UEFA. The German is the third PSG player to leave for Qatar this summer, bringing in a total of 85 million euros for the Parisian club.

All this at a time when the French club needed major sales to balance the books and avoid the shadow of Financial Fair Play.

Given the closeness between Qatar and PSG, and the fact the French club are owned by QSI, the highest European body has decided to open an investigation to assess the validity and fairness of these transfers.

According to L'Equipe, UEFA could freeze these sums so that they do not count in their accounts, as well as facing a possible sanction.

The German follows in the footsteps of Verratti and Diallo to Qatar. The Italian's departure was the one that aroused the most suspicion.

These transfers will be examined by the Financial Control Committee, although for punitive action to be taken, it must be shown that the buyer and seller are too close.

In the past, sponsorship deals between Qatari companies and the French capital club have already been examined by UEFA as "related parties".

Draxler was the latest to leave for the Qatari country in a deal that has left the Parisian side with 20 million euros.

He is the third PSG player to do so after Verratti and Diallo in a single market. The Italian made it for 50 million, while the Frenchman would do it for 15 million making a total of 85 million.

https://www.marca.com/en/football/psg/2023/09/18/6508ae7d22601d5b538b45c0.html

Probably look into the Chelsea/Saudi/Newcastle deals while you're at it

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Well I never...

https://www.marca.com/en/football/psg/2023/09/18/6508ae7d22601d5b538b45c0.html

Probably look into the Chelsea/Saudi/Newcastle deals while you're at it

Imagine my shock. The brazenness of it however. These clubs don’t care - no fines will suffice. Deduct them points or relegate them or force ownership changes if you must. This is why nation states shouldn’t be allowed to own clubs. 

Â