Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

If Spurs are still in it going into the final game, I have zero confidence we'll get a result. That's not to say Spurs will but my faith now rests completely on Man City. I don't expect anything but lacklustre performances (and results) from our last two games.

I hope I'm badly wrong but Liverpool being 3-0 up or something in the first half seems almost probable right now. That's what I'm expecting.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, T-Dog said:

I'm in the minority this season, and I'm sound about that, but (BIG but, ooer) - I think we've been lucky that so many other 'top 4' teams have been shit this season.

I'm taking absolutely nothing from Unai, not a single thing, the man is a legend and I can't believe where we're at this season BUT I think next season might be a lot more difficult, because I'd be amazed if Spurs, Chelsea, United or Newcastle are gonna sit back and watch the Villa Lion roar again.

But also, Unai 4eva #loveheart #buildstatue #emerythelegend #heeatspaellahedrinksestrellahelovesthevilla

We have roughly the amount of points to finish in the top 4 in pretty much every season. 70 is usually the barometer and we're 3 points off that with 2 games to go. What I'm trying to say is that there are rarely ever 4 teams better than this, so it doesn't matter how supposedly bad some of these teams are. Maybe they're not bad and we're just that good. We're better than United, Chelsea and Spurs. We have a better squad and a better manager. We deserve to be up here, this year or any other year.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

The Spurs players couldn't give two shits about local rivalry. They are very likely pals with most of the Arsenal players as they certainly all hang out in places like Dubai. As with players of all PL clubs.

Fans seriously overestimate how much the players care about such menial things as fan rivalries. They really couldn't care less and it's them that play the game, not the fans.

Players don’t care but surely to have any chance of beating a rampant City that has 18 wins in the last 20 games you need the full support of the fans ?

Or maybe not.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Players don’t care but surely to have any chance of beating a rampant City that has 18 wins in the last 20 games you need the full support of the fans ?

Or maybe not.

It will be a sell out and there is no way the Spurs fans will be actively supporting Man City in the ground. Just not gonna happen.

We need to try and enjoy it. Look where we were a few years ago? Even a couple of years ago under Gerrard?

We are a Man City win away over a tired and out of form spurs team from confirming top four. 

We had a great league record against Brighton and still lost. Spurs's record at home against them means nothing. Pep is determined to win the league.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It will be a sell out and there is no way the Spurs fans will be actively supporting Man City in the ground. Just not gonna happen.

They won’t be actively supporting Man City but they won’t be no 12th man either.

1 hour ago, T-Dog said:

Replies taken, understood and accepted.

What Unai has done is incredible, BUT we're also in a league where Chelsea, United and Spurs have been pap. 

I'm not cussing us AT ALL. But I am saying next season could be very difficult because those other teams aren't gonna settle for the mighty Villa pipping them to the post. 

It's a compliment to our current position, with a cautious nod to next season.

This is fair points. That’s why the summer transfer activity is so important.

27 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They won’t be actively supporting Man City but they won’t be no 12th man either.

Are they ever? Everytime I've been there  they've been poor at supporting their team. 

42 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Oh they will, be like blues doing us a favour. They be fuming

• Like 1

Why did Spurs have their walk around the pitch applauding fans today… was it because this was their scheduled last home game and the one midweek is a postponed game?

25 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Why did Spurs have their walk around the pitch applauding fans today… was it because this was their scheduled last home game and the one midweek is a postponed game?

Possibly, or I perhaps they realise more fans can stay longer after a saturday afternoon game than a midweek night game.

Posted (edited)

With Spurs only beating Burnley by 1 goal, it probably means that they have to beat Man City to overtake us. A draw may not be enough IF we lose both of our games by the odd goal. Of course, getting a draw against Liverpool means Spurs have to get a win v City. I think they could surprise City with a draw but i’d not be confident in backing a victory over them. City have been poor away to Spurs recently but none of these games were this close to the end of the season with the title on the line AND none of those games were managed by a gung-ho manager… Angeball will totally suit Pepball

Edited by ben1505
Error
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Oh they will, be like blues doing us a favour. They be fuming

You think Spurs fans will be getting behind Man C115y? Actively making noise when they attack or joining in Man C115y songs?

Not a chance that's happening.

Spurs will lose anyway.

Edited by GlobalVillan

12 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

With Spurs only beating Burnley by 1 goal, it probably means that they have to beat Man City to overtake us. A draw may not be enough IF we lose both of our games by the odd goal. Of course, getting a draw against Liverpool means Spurs have to get a win v City. I think they could surprise City with a draw but i’d not be confident in backing a victory over them. City have been poor away to Spurs recently but none of these games were this close to the end of the season with the title on the line AND none of those games were managed by a gung-ho manager… Angeball will totally suit Pepball

When they played in the cup earlier in season it was only one nil but City dominated. Watching Spurs today Maddison and Kulesevski looked off it , the latter caught on ball numerous times. Without  Ricarchlison they lack a focal point and improved when Son was moved wide left late 2nd half.The left side of defence is an issue City will exploit.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Nabby said:

When they played in the cup earlier in season it was only one nil but City dominated. Watching Spurs today Maddison and Kulesevski looked off it , the latter caught on ball numerous times. Without  Ricarchlison they lack a focal point and improved when Son was moved wide left late 2nd half.The left side of defence is an issue City will exploit.

I can’t understand how Skipp is on a PL team. He was atrocious today.

Did anyone actually watch the Burnley game? It was on at 2am here so I surprisingly didn't bother... Did the 2-1 flatter Burnley? If not then I don't think an in-form City will struggle against a Spurs side that just sneaked past Burnley..