Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

People are overrating Palace just because they've had a few good results, but they haven't suddenly turned into world beaters, a club like that will have a run of games here and there across the course of a season where they do well and that's what essentially keeps them up, but before long they go back to being not very good again, we're more than capable of beating them, there's a reason they're fourteenth in the table, would be fifteenth without Everton's point deductions

Of course they might beat us, just like any PL team is capable of doing if we have an off day, but the way some are talking you would think we're near the bottom and they're top four

Nothing to say we can't beat Liverpool before then, at home with them having nothing to play for, we have a chance if we can find another good performance, and again as with Palace above and their recent good results, just because we've had a few not so good resutls and performances it doesn't mean to say that's going to continue, we can still find some good form

Even if Burnley were to somehow beat Spurs before we play again, meaning Champions League already sealed, I think Emery would want us to end the season strongly, at least lets get to seventy point

9 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Arsenal result helped us with that. Without that we’d have 5 points from 5 and that includes playing Bournemouth, Brentford and Brighton. 2 shots against a mediocre Brighton team who had 15 shots said it all about how we’re performing, like a relegation team.

OK how about our form since the beginning of January still having us in the top 5?  Or the fact that even if you cherry pick (or the reverse of that) results and ignore a significant win against a team gunning for the title and go with your 5 points from 5 (which is ridiculous) that would still leave 9 teams having picked up fewer points than us.  Plus it is interesting to note that you are so dismissive of Bournemouth and Brentford whose current form is better than Liverpool and Man Utd.  I mean pretty much every statistic you can possibly extract disproves your post as being a ridiculous hyperbolic over-reaction.  The team need our support not idiots trying to make out that it is 2016.  Like I keep saying the thing most likely to disrupt the plans of NSWE and Emery is the "fans". 

• Like 3

In the last 2 games, we lose our attacking threats when Rogers / Youre are out,  we don't have a attacking midfielder to feed Ollie, when teams double down on Bailey & Diaby is in poor form. 

If we can somehow get Youre back ( highly doubt as he's not in the group training video ) or even Zaniolo ( he's not in there as well ), we will struggle to get in the last 2 games. 

Tempted to try Moreno as a left midfielder, with Digne behind him as double cover. Moreno does have a eye for a pass and can also do short burst into the box.. 

We definitely need to go for at least one win to be sure 

As ive posted elsewhere, look at the match day squads in December v City/Arsenal and the strength in the team and bench and you will see why the drop off has happend

KTF, get over the line with CL and rest, recover and reset and next season will be another exciting season to look forward to and although a cliche what felt like a dream only 5 years ago when Dr Tony nearly took us under

5 hours ago, DJBOB said:

I think Villa fans have a collective PTSD and always have a thought that the bottom is going to drop out. 

Whether it’s Deano, Grealish, failed promotion, relegation, MON and that’s just in recent times. 

The worst is right around the corner so a few losses gets everyone triggered. 

For me, UCL is there and I’m just waiting to pop the cork. 

A true Villa fan doesn't think we deserve CL, and is a little depressed if we get in. CL is clearly not what it used to be any more.

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Hopefully you sleep it off. Incredible headloss on display tonight.

I’ve slept it off, but I still just as peed off as yesterday. I understand my emotions can run high during and after a game so I’m going to try to avoid the match day thread for the rest of this season. That way I can’t fall out with fellow Villa fans when we should be getting along, there is a lot of division on this forum at the moment.

I’m also just going to accept we will finish 5th and pay little attention to the last 2 games. As everyone keeps telling me we’re too knackered to produce anything now until we’ve had a summer break so if that’s the case I don’t expect we’ll turn up for either of our last 2 games.

This season has been more stressful than last season even if we do finish 2 or even 3 places higher. I’ve probably aged 5 years the last few weeks alone.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, allani said:

OK how about our form since the beginning of January still having us in the top 5?  Or the fact that even if you cherry pick (or the reverse of that) results and ignore a significant win against a team gunning for the title and go with your 5 points from 5 (which is ridiculous) that would still leave 9 teams having picked up fewer points than us.  Plus it is interesting to note that you are so dismissive of Bournemouth and Brentford whose current form is better than Liverpool and Man Utd.  I mean pretty much every statistic you can possibly extract disproves your post as being a ridiculous hyperbolic over-reaction.  The team need our support not idiots trying to make out that it is 2016.  Like I keep saying the thing most likely to disrupt the plans of NSWE and Emery is the "fans". 

Villa fans are some of the best in the country, how dare you make that claim. How many games have you been to this season? I bet I’ve been to more than you so making out you’re more of a fan than me is utter nonsense.

References to 2016 are so boring, probably why we never achieve anything, we benchmark our best season against our worst season despite there not being one player in the currrnt squad that was here 8 years ago. How about benchmarking our current season to 1996 when we won a trophy and still finished 4th?

The players have done great for the most part, I’m just very disappointed that they’ve ended the season in such poor form which could undo everything good they’ve worked for. It doesn’t make me a bad fan for expressing that FFS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spuds, metaphorically speaking are now "smelling blood". They know that our form has dropped off with two difficult games for us next up.

4th spot awaits.

All they have to do is win their games and I think they will 😣

If we end up getting 5th spot and losing in an European competition semifinal, it will look on paper as an outstanding season, however I think many of us will be disappointed if that is what happens.

We look toothless and devoid of ideas now, not helped by injuries and loss of form.

If the Villa was a marathon runner we have "hit the wall"

VTID

4 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Spuds, metaphorically speaking are now "smelling blood". They know that our form has dropped off with two difficult games for us next up.

4th spot awaits.

If we end up getting 5th spot and losing in an European competition semifinal, it will look on paper as an outstanding season, however I think many of us will be disappointed if that is what happens.

We look toothless and devoid of ideas now, not helped by injuries and loss of form.

VTID

I'm hoping that they lose at least one

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

The amount of negativity on this thread is ridiculous! 

I think there's every reason to be concerned considering the past 3.5 games peformances...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Kiwis stole that mentality from us anyway, like they steal everything else from us 😅

In a gesture of friendship you can have the 501s back

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

In the last 2 games, we lose our attacking threats when Rogers / Youre are out,  we don't have a attacking midfielder to feed Ollie, when teams double down on Bailey & Diaby is in poor form. 

If we can somehow get Youre back ( highly doubt as he's not in the group training video ) or even Zaniolo ( he's not in there as well ), we will struggle to get in the last 2 games. 

Tempted to try Moreno as a left midfielder, with Digne behind him as double cover. Moreno does have a eye for a pass and can also do short burst into the box.. 

We definitely need to go for at least one win to be sure 

tbh I can only assume Moreno is still injured otherwise he'd surely be playing left mid ahead of cash and Bailey would be on his more favoured right mid.  

30 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

4th spot awaits.

VTID

Spurs are in worse form than us

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Has been here all season, from the coefficient crying to United, Newcastle, Chelsea all overtaking us

Laughable the drama in our best season in decades

24 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

But the positivity about Spurs is bizarre.

• Like 1