Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

19 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

He's really damaging my opinion of you Kiwis 😅

Sadly don't have the "she'll be right" Kiwi mentality.... only been here for 18 years... 

4 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Sadly don't have the "she'll be right" Kiwi mentality.... only been here for 18 years... 

Kiwis stole that mentality from us anyway, like they steal everything else from us 😅

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, R.Bear said:

I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm satirizing the people who think its more important that we make money than win trophies.

Making more money is how you consistently win trophies, more important ones than something West Ham won last season. 

Don’t get me wrong. I am disappointed. But this is an incredibly short sighted view. 

Edited by Raymond
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Raymond said:

Making more money is how you consistently win trophies, more important ones that something West Ham won last season. 

Don’t get me wrong. I am disappointed. But this is an incredibly short sighted view. 

I personally care more about getting top 4 over the line....I'm gutted that we came so far to fall at this stage in the Europa Conference... but long term, it's more important for the sustainability of competing at the pointy end, to get champion's league football.

We won the Championship playoff trophy in recent years, so younger fans have seen us lift something. Getting Champions league football means that we can keep our best players and even attract better players to do perform well in the future... I don't think winning the Conference would've attracted top players to come to us.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

The funny thing about these hypothetical scenarios is that even the people who would elect to have more money in this case aren't doing it because they are the club accountants or that they get a cut of profits or something. Ultimately, it's also in the pursuit of trophies. More money and stature = higher probability of trophies in the future. This whole argument is just a short vs long term approach towards the same goal :lol:

Some people just seem to be unable to accept defeat and resort to shadowboxing imaginary people. It's amazing how fast this has happened, and how perspective has been lost. You would think we were prime Manchester United or something the way this site completely capitulates after a defeat or 2, without fail. I remember losing back to back to QPR and Bolton in the Championship barely 5 years ago, effectively ending our automatic promotion hopes and I swear it wasn't nearly as toxic as this 

Ted Lasso Hope That Kills You GIF - Ted Lasso Hope That Kills You Hope GIFs

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The funny thing about these hypothetical scenarios is that even the people who would elect to have more money in this case aren't doing it because they are the club accountants or that they get a cut of profits or something. Ultimately, it's also in the pursuit of trophies. More money and stature = higher probability of trophies in the future. This whole argument is just a short vs long term approach towards the same goal :lol:

Some people just seem to be unable to accept defeat and resort to shadowboxing imaginary people. It's amazing how fast this has happened, and how perspective has been lost. You would think we were prime Manchester United or something the way this site completely capitulates after a defeat or 2, without fail. I remember losing back to back to QPR and Bolton in the Championship barely 5 years ago, effectively ending our automatic promotion hopes and I swear it wasn't nearly as toxic as this 

I think Villa fans have a collective PTSD and always have a thought that the bottom is going to drop out. 

Whether it’s Deano, Grealish, failed promotion, relegation, MON and that’s just in recent times. 

The worst is right around the corner so a few losses gets everyone triggered. 

For me, UCL is there and I’m just waiting to pop the cork. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I think Villa fans have a collective PTSD and always have a thought that the bottom is going to drop out. 

Whether it’s Deano, Grealish, failed promotion, relegation, MON and that’s just in recent times. 

The worst is right around the corner so a few losses gets everyone triggered. 

For me, UCL is there and I’m just waiting to pop the cork. 

I hope so

Posted (edited)

Made the mistake of putting talkshite on... "pundits" who are Chelsea and Spurs fans saying that we don't deserve top 4... saying West Ham are better than us for winning the Conference League.... failing to take into account that West Ham almost got relegated because they prioritised Europe... failing to take into account our injuries and fixture schedule, failing to take into account that they have been relatively poor this year despite having much larger squads and a lesser fixture list.... another reason why I want us to get top 4 over the line #rocket polishers

Edited by ben1505
error
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I really don't get this ideology to be fair.

I don't want to watch other teams players. I want to watch Villa winning. Everything. All the time.

"You only came to watch the Villa".. I get the feeling lots of fans just want us to get in to the CL so they can watch other teams.

This might not be quite what you meant. But winning a trophy is far more appealing than seeing ANY club play us at Villa Park.

It’s in response to a poster who has constantly belittled other posters who responded to a hypothetical scenario whilst sitting on his high horse. 

The reality is our owners want top 4 and trophies, our manager wants top 4 and trophies. Ask players around the world what they want - Play in premier league and the CL. Hardly anyone says ‘win Euro Conference League’ . In fact I’ve never heard any professional footballers say that. 

We need top 4 to grow commercially and financially because we are skirting close to FFP (according to a couple of agents who my brother knows from work) and so that we can be competitive for trophies. 

If you look through previous posts of mine you’ll find I want the FA Cup as it’s been too long. 

Don Unai is a serial winner and he wants to win the biggest prizes. The premier league and The Champions League. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure the collective confidence of the team has not been an issue this season. But I worry it might be now, because of the tired legs and the injuries and the results and the pressure to achieve something more than Europa League qualification. 

I don't know what to expect on Monday if Spurs beat Burnley this weekend. Assuming they do, I hope the Villa Park crowd infuses the team with vigor and belief and makes it difficult for Liverpool. 

If we drop points vs Liverpool the Man City-Spurs game becomes a Villa game, basically. If Man City drop points in that fixture it all goes to the final day, and I'd rather not think about that.

• Like 1

I back us to get at least a point from the last two games. Maybe not on Monday but with a week’s rest and maybe Tielemans and Moreno back we can have a real go as it’s our last of the season. Palace are in form but certainly not invincible. 

Spurs will lose to Citeh anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Does anyone think we'll get another point this season? If so, which game?

Maybe Liverpool or Palace will have a bad day against us?  

10 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Maybe Liverpool or Palace will have a bad day against us?  

Maybe their bus will break down and they'll forfeit...

I don’t care how fatigued they are, I want to see a fight, self belief and determination. It was only 3 weeks ago they beat Bournemouth 3-1 after knocking out Lille and beating Arsenal.  They need to channel the confidence they felt after those games.

We’ve just lost 3 games in a row, we’re not going to lose 5 in a row. We’re just not.

9 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I don’t care how fatigued they are, I want to see a fight, self belief and determination. It was only 3 weeks ago they beat Bournemouth 3-1 after knocking out Lille and beating Arsenal.  They need to channel the confidence they felt after those games.

We’ve just lost 3 games in a row, we’re not going to lose 5 in a row. We’re just not.

Famous last words

1 hour ago, ben1505 said:

Does anyone think we'll get another point this season? If so, which game?

We’ll win one of our last two. Spurs will lose one and draw one