Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

6 minutes ago, tinker said:

We haven't qualified for it since 81/82.......have we? 

Qualified as previous winners / defending champs in 82/83 - got to the quarters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo71 said:

Had some Spurs mates say to me last season they were glad to miss the UECL - sniffed at it as low rent and because Sunday's wasn't good for them to watch the rearranged PL games.

They've now all done a complete 180. ANY European football is now OK with them. One has frankly admitted that Villa's rise has rattled him and wants the exposure Europe brings. And a trophy (on the assumption they'd win, Conference League that is). I think that's the point - the UECL was sneered at and we were lightly mocked for being in it. Now we might win it all they see is Villa lifting a trophy before them. Another European one at that.

The fear is real.

They’re playing Thursday and Sunday anyway the losers

6 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

They’re playing Thursday and Sunday anyway the losers

Exactly! That was further justification for the about face. The focus on "prestige" really blinds people sometimes.

• Like 1

CL 100%

If it takes a toll on us, I doubt we’ll finish below 6th next year with a drop off. We then qualify for Europa. Then we can win that the following year. 

Simple. Get the CL money now and invest for a stronger squad for the future. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Also, no advantage for Spurs not being in Europe as they play Chelsea on Thursday, Liverpool should be well rested.

Can Graham Poll come out of retirement and ref the Chelsea v Spurs game on Thursday? 😉

21 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

5 years ago we were in the Championship. Man, it's amazing what has been done by all involved since. (Except Gerrard)

Hear hear, what a journey. I am so proud of the club. And more to come.

On our worst days in the Championship I would have snapped your hand off for mid table in the top flight but we have surpassed all expect in such a short time.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

Exciting times ahead, they keep referring to us being in a major European semi final since 1982, i might get stoned by some fans here but ECL is not a major European competition, only Europa and Champions League should be considered major. 

But have i been deluded most of my life always feeling like Villa is a giant club that should be always with the likes of man utd’s and liverpool’s, even the last 20 odd years as bad as it has been for us I’ve always felt like we should be sitting with them and shouldn’t be looked at as out of place, if you look at our tradition and history it speaks for itself.

We are heading back to where we belong. So this may justify when i say the conference is not a major trophy or should be considered a major honour, however if a team like Brentford won it they may have the right to call it major.

But make no mistake Aston villa is a gigantic club we forget due to our recent struggles and probably begin to accept winning whatever as something.

5 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Exciting times ahead, they keep referring to us being in a major European semi final since 1982, i might get stoned by some fans here but ECL is not a major European competition, only Europa and Champions League should be considered major. 

Out of interest, did ypu consider the CWC a major European competition?

It was considered to be huge at the time and the ECL may be new, but eventually it will be held in similar regard. 

In fact, the cup winners of.some countries qualify for the ECL like they used to for the CWC.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

well I for one am not scared of Champions League. Bring it on

Of the teams we have played this season, Lille, Man City and Arsenal are all going to be in next season’s CL. We’ve beaten them all…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It was considered to be huge at the time and the ECL may be new, but eventually it will be held in similar regard. 

In fact, the cup winners of.some countries qualify for the ECL like they used to for the CWC.

Another good comparison is the League Cup. We are proud of our record but it was a novelty when introduced. Likewise the Ryder Cup in golf.

No matter what happens, let's not forget where we came from with these owns. On the cusp of a final and CL qualification. Let's help get them across the line.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Assuming your referring to the Club World Championship, this includes the winners of some serious competitions, its not probably spoken about or highly regarded i guess and its never really counted as much when huge clubs have won it so not sure where that stands.

League cup still contains all the prem teams and the divisions below so its still difficult to win, not as prestigious as the FA Cup but definitely would love to win that as it is something i have admired. 

i take pleasure in winning the hard way, this competition was thrown out there as a extra gateway/opportunity for lets say outside clubs to win something, i want Aston Villa to win what was already established in hard earned fashion and show its not only for the elite to win, but if we win the conference it will be an achievement of course especially we finish top four on top.

3 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Assuming your referring to the Club World Championship, this includes the winners of some serious competitions, its not probably spoken about or highly regarded i guess and its never really counted as much when huge clubs have won it so not sure where that stands.

League cup still contains all the prem teams and the divisions below so its still difficult to win, not as prestigious as the FA Cup but definitely would love to win that as it is something i have admired. 

i take pleasure in winning the hard way, this competition was thrown out there as a extra gateway/opportunity for lets say outside clubs to win something, i want Aston Villa to win what was already established in hard earned fashion and show its not only for the elite to win, but if we win the conference it will be an achievement of course especially we finish top four on top.

Cup Winners Cup