Don_Simon

10 hours ago, omariqy said:

Right let's see where that leaves us.

Germany - 16.786

England - 16.750

Scenario 1 - Probably realistic best case given what has happened

1. Man City v Real Madrid - Man City Win and go through

2. Bayern v Arsenal - Arsenal draw and go through on pens

3. Dortmund v Ath Madrid - Dortmund win the game but Ath Madrid go through on pens

4. Atalanta v Liverpool - Liverpool win the tie but go out 

5. West Ham v Leverkusen - draw and West Ham out

6. Lille v Villa - Draw and Villa go through 

Points Totals

image.png.86993e40128b3b0132ec1ae666fb25bd.png 

Outlook

The maximum Germany can get in this scenario is an additional 1.143 points. That is assuming Leverkusen win both Semi ties and win the final (assume they get a bonus point for winning the final).  That is 18.608 points. That would mean England would need to get 0.697 or (5.576/8) points to move ahead. The lowest maximum we would get from Man City v Arsenal assuming both ties are drawn is 5 points. So we would just need Villa to draw one leg in the Semi final to go through in that scenario. 

Scenario 2 - Probably realistic middle to worst case given what has happened

2. Bayern v Arsenal - Arsenal draw and go out on pens

3. Dortmund v Ath Madrid - Dortmund win the game and go through 

5. West Ham v Leverkusen - Leverkusen go through by winning the second leg as well

Points Totals

image.png.645dd0e033827608a141d7415b46412c.png

Outlook

This is where we are relying on us and Man City to get to the final and at least one of us to win it. Assume Leverkusen get to the final by drawing one leg, winning the other then win the final. Assume Dortmund lose both legs and go out. That would add 1 to their score (7 points divided by 7). Assume Bayern draw one leg against City i.e. 0.143 points. That leaves Germany on 19.037. Man City and Villa drawing one leg and winning the other adds another 1 point to ours (i.e 8 points divided by 8). So we are now on 18.661 with 2 English teams in the final. If Man City win and we lose then that is 3 points for England i.e. 0.375 points added - 19.036! We lose out by the barest of margins.

I don't think there is any point doing a scenario where Bayern, Dortmund, Leverkusen all go through and only City go through from the English sides. In that scenario it's done. 

Just going back to this. I have assumed you get a bonus point for winning the tournament but I can't see that confirmed anywhere. Has anyone seen anything on this?

13 minutes ago, rubberman said:

So now we need Arsenal to be terrible this weekend and then amazing again next week.

Its usually the opposite for our opponents 😂

1 hour ago, MSvillain said:

The new %s are in 😂

This makes things better than they seem after last night, it's still  likely (just about)

• Like 1

I’d rather we finish fourth but we are very much limping over the line at the moment. We can create chances still but we look very suspect at the back and that doesn’t look like changing. Therefore, we really need Arsenal, City and Ath Madrid to do a job for us. If Liverpool and Arsenal would have won their games then that would have given us a real healthy cushion in terms of points. I don’t think Liverpool will come back from 3-0 down. They look a bit out of ideas at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

I’m amazed that England are still 2-1 favourites…

Because they are assuming that Man City win the CL, Arsenal beat Bayern, and Villa win the Conference.  Any one of those doesn't happen and the odds start turning.

4 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Nothing we can do now if Arsenal lose. It's over then unless Leverkusen **** up

As much as you may wish that to be the case, that simply isn't true.

• Like 1

I want us to win the conference so bad and we are a in strong position to make the semis. It’s in our hands still. The seeding is secondary, let's focus on our tasks first. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Just going back to this. I have assumed you get a bonus point for winning the tournament but I can't see that confirmed anywhere. Has anyone seen anything on this?

No bonus.

You'd get 2 for winning the final in 90 or ET though.

If you gave me a choice of us losing the Semi final and getting UCL or winning the UECL and not getting UCL, then I would go for the latter. However, as @Stevo985 mentioned it seems that it may come down to us winning the UECL to get UCL as well. 

12 hours ago, omariqy said:

Right let's see where that leaves us.

Germany - 16.786

England - 16.750

Scenario 1 - Probably realistic best case given what has happened

2. Bayern v Arsenal - Arsenal draw and go through on pens

3. Dortmund v Ath Madrid - Dortmund win the game but Ath Madrid go through on pens

5. West Ham v Leverkusen - draw and West Ham out

Points Totals

image.png.86993e40128b3b0132ec1ae666fb25bd.png 

Outlook

The maximum Germany can get in this scenario is an additional 1.143 points. That is assuming Leverkusen win both Semi ties and win the final (assume they get a bonus point for winning the final).  That is 18.608 points. That would mean England would need to get 0.697 or (5.576/8) points to move ahead. The lowest maximum we would get from Man City v Arsenal assuming both ties are drawn is 5 points. So we would just need Villa to draw one leg in the Semi final to go through in that scenario. 

Scenario 2 - Probably realistic middle to worst case given what has happened

2. Bayern v Arsenal - Arsenal draw and go out on pens

3. Dortmund v Ath Madrid - Dortmund win the game and go through 

5. West Ham v Leverkusen - Leverkusen go through by winning the second leg as well

Points Totals

image.png.645dd0e033827608a141d7415b46412c.png

Outlook

This is where we are relying on us and Man City to get to the final and at least one of us to win it. Assume Leverkusen get to the final by drawing one leg, winning the other then win the final. Assume Dortmund lose both legs and go out. That would add 1 to their score (7 points divided by 7). Assume Bayern draw one leg against City i.e. 0.143 points. That leaves Germany on 19.037. Man City and Villa drawing one leg and winning the other adds another 1 point to ours (i.e 8 points divided by 8). So we are now on 18.661 with 2 English teams in the final. If Man City win and we lose then that is 3 points for England i.e. 0.375 points added - 19.036! We lose out by the barest of margins.

I don't think there is any point doing a scenario where Bayern, Dortmund, Leverkusen all go through and only City go through from the English sides. In that scenario it's done. 

Revised outlook for Scenario 2

Levrkusen - they would add 0.857 to Germany’s score

Bayern - would add 0.143

Germany new score - 18.894

England new score - 18.911

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No bonus.

You'd get 2 for winning the final in 90 or ET though.

The entire association coefficient section pasted below doesn't say anything about round progression points at all:

D.3 Association coefficient calculation

The season coefficient of an association is calculated by adding up the points obtained by all its clubs in a given season (UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and UEFA Europa Conference League) then dividing the total by the number of clubs from that association that took part in the three UEFA club competitions in question.

Points are awarded as follows:

1. 2 points for a win (1 point for qualifying and play-off matches);

2. 1 point for a draw (0.5 point for qualifying and play-off matches);

3. 0 points for a defeat.

If a club refuses to enter a UEFA competition for which it qualified, or is excluded from or not admitted to the competition and is not replaced by another club from the same association, the association's coefficient is calculated by dividing the total number of points obtained by its clubs by the number of clubs the association was entitled to enter according to the access list.

They are only for club coefficient points, which aren't relevant here. Has everyone been working this out wrong the whole time?

It's in complete contradiction to this page:

Association coefficient calculation

The season coefficient of an association is calculated by adding up the points obtained by all its clubs in a given season in the UEFA Champions League (UCL), UEFA Europa League (UEL) and UEFA Europa Conference League (UECL) then dividing the total by the number of clubs from that association that took part in the three UEFA club competitions in question.

Points are awarded as follows:

2 – All wins from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All wins in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All draws from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
0.5 – All draws in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
4 – Group stage bonus participation (UCL, UEL)
4 – Round of 16 bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Group winners (UEL)
2 – Group runners-up (UEL)
2 – Group winners (UECL)
1 – Group runners-up (UECL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the round of 16 (UCL, UEL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the semi-finals (UECL)

Additional notes

Penalty shoot-outs do not count.

For matches originally foreseen to be two legs (home and away) but reduced to a single leg, the calculation of coefficient points per match will be adapted as follows:

Three points for a win (in regular time or extra time)
Two points to each team for a draw (after extra time)
One point for a loss (in regular time or extra time)

Edited by fightoffyour