Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

If an already qualified team wins the EL, who gets the extra space?

The next league in the rolling 5 year co-effiecent gets an extra spot.

• Like 1

Just now, duke313 said:

The next league in the rolling 5 year co-effiecent gets an extra spot.

Is that for the same for CL too? So 2 extra spots?

Who gets those as it stands?

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

Is that for the same for CL too? So 2 extra spots?

Who gets those as it stands?

Same for both.  Not sure who it would go to, but usually countries like Netherlands, Portugal, Scotland are floating round there for an extra spot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

If an already qualified team wins the EL, who gets the extra space?

I think it's the club in the qualifying/playoff rounds with the highest club coefficient

Should the Champions League title holders have qualified via their domestic league, then the club (Champions Path only) with highest club coefficient will enter the league stage.

Should the Europa League title holders have qualified via their domestic league, then the club (Champions Path & League Path) with the highest club coefficient will enter the league stage, except for the runners-up of associations 11–15, as they have higher-ranked domestic team in the qualifiers.

wiki

This year I think the Ukrainian Champions went straight into the group stages instead of the qualifying rounds because Man City had already qualified and won it.

Presumably someone in round 1 qualifying gets a bye.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Teams still have to qualify for it, do you think the Estonian champions are just getting straight into the league stage?

Yeah but we wont have to

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

That season was Spurs and City first top 6 finishes in a long long time

Didn't they finish 5th twice under Martin Jol just a couple of seasons prior?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Didn't they finish 5th twice under Martin Jol just a couple of seasons prior?

Forgot that but was 20 something years since City did

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

There's some absolute dross on in the Championship tomorrow night for your viewing displeasure

That would have been us a few years ago…!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Talking of the O'Neill era.....

The new format is pretty much the same as when we played Uefa cup under him. For some reason with 5 teams in a group we just played Ajax at VP and Hamburg in Germany when playing each home and away would've been very exciting. Think they changed it back to home and away ties two seasons later.

I actually think the current CL format works pretty well other than 3rd place dropping down into the Europa which at least has been scrapped.

I certainly wouldn't be changing it to playing more games just to see less teams eliminated but then that's how Football is going, playing more meaningless games for little jeopardy. No one is that bothered you don't get the big duels right at the start of the competition compared to tonight surely?

Bit annoying if we get glamour ties v Real Madrid, AC Milan and Bayern Munich and don't get one away trip out of that! 

No idea on the draw format but I'd imagine since you get drawn with two teams from each pot it would be one home and away per pot. There will be a big away trip or two for sure. 

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

There's some absolute dross on in the Championship tomorrow night for your viewing displeasure

Maybe this would have been appealing five years ago when we needed Bristol City/Derby to drop points for our play off push. Much prefer hoping Atletico Madrid beat Dortmund. 

• Like 1

Just now, Callum said:

I am thick as shit. 

Can someone please tell me who to cheer for tonight? Just the two English teams? 

Anyone playing a German team and all English teams.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Callum said:

I am thick as shit. 

Can someone please tell me who to cheer for tonight? Just the two English teams? 

Arsenal and Man City tonight

Atletico Madrid tomorrow

West Ham/Liverpool Thursday night whilst we are putting Lille to the sword. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Callum said:

I am thick as shit. 

Arsenal to win but be battered before their next PL game

Best result tonight is if Man City and every memory of its brief existence is swallowed up by a sink hole in the space-time continuum. Then we'll definitely finish at least 4th if Man Utd don't catch us.

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

It's a shame 

Would be nice to see the Villa in the old format at least once

Really couldn't care less about that.

We have a better chance of playing more matches, getting more money and going through with new format imo.

45 minutes ago, duke313 said:

They’re scrapping the barrel here 😂

There's barrel scraping and there's barrel scraping... then, underneath the barrel, 20ft underground there's this utter drivel

So the Daily Mail reckon that Utd are looking unlikely to catch us up in 5th, but they still have a chance of CL football by virtue of West Ham (a point behind Utd, played a game more and not won in 4), overtaking both Utd and us, getting 5th and then also having to win the Europa League at the same time.

F*** me, are we sure they haven't just pulled this from Viz?

• Haha 4