Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Only if we beat Bournemouth imo and United lose against Liverpool.

We won't have played bournemouth by then mate.  By I agree we'd need to win that game to seal it.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

This thread is insane. It's been almost 15 years since we finished 6th, let alone 5th or 4th. We haven't bottled anything, it's been a tremendous effort for us to even be in this position where we are still in with a good shout for 4th with 6 games to go. Also in a European quarter final to boot. This is the best season of my lifetime so far, even if it ends today. You would think we were Liverpool or something the way our fans go on.

So did you think we would get a draw against Brentford, before the game?....with Brentford in 15th place and struggling in the league......and us at home in 4th.

Did you think we would be cruising a 2-0 up, and capitulate in the manner that we did, to a team who didn't lay a glove on us up till then?

That's what many fans are discussing, without digressing to how well the season has gone as a whole....they are saying, how did that happen, is that a surprise.

The stadium is full to capacity, every game, with spirited fans, singing their heads off, me included.....Does that strike you as fickle or unappreciative fans?

Fans have a right to express themselves after a game....and that one did throw up some anomalies.....Fans reserve the right, to express themselves differently.

Many think the race for the champions league has passed, some think we have created a huge task for ourselves, some think nothing has changed.....who's right, I don't know.

On the evidence of the collapse, and other games, where we have done similar, I am not sure if we are actually ready for Champions league competition, anyway, with a WIP team...but that's just me.

Edited by TRO

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

So did you think we would get a draw against Brentford, before the game?....with Brentford in 15th place and struggling in the league......and us at home in 4th.

Did you think we would be cruising a 2-0 up, and capitulate in the manner that we did, to a team who didn't lay a glove on us up till then?

That's what many fans are discussing, without digressing to how well the season has gone as a whole....they are saying, how did that happen, is that a surprise.

The stadium is full to capacity, every game, with spirited fans, singing their heads off, me included.....Does that strike you as fickle or unappreciative fans?

Fans have a right to express themselves after a game....and that one did throw up some anomalies.....Fans reserve the right, to express themselves differently.

Many think the race for the champions league has passed, some think we have created a huge task for ourselves, some think nothing has changed.....who's right, I don't know.

On the evidence of the collapse, and other games, where we have done similar, I am not sure if we are actually ready for Champions league competition, anyway, with a WIP team...but that's just me.

No game is a banker in this league and even at 2-0 what happened yesterday can happen. Disappointing, but perspective is needed, we're in a brilliant position and they key point is we still are, and 4th place and a european trophy is a real possibility.

We need to strengthen every season, and irregardless of how well we do this season we still need to push forward to close the gap to the top 3.

2 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

No game is a banker in this league and even at 2-0 what happened yesterday can happen. Disappointing, but perspective is needed, we're in a brilliant position and they key point is we still are, and 4th place and a european trophy is a real possibility.

We need to strengthen every season, and irregardless of how well we do this season we still need to push forward to close the gap to the top 3.

Think you mean regardless or irrespective.

3 minutes ago, VillaJay said:

I think that is the essence of the debate. To get Champions League places and to compete with any hope, you have to be consistent and resolute.....and collapsing like we did, is commensurate with those comments.

I agree, no game is a banker, and it can be equally annoying, when some folk think is...but thats their call.

The top 3 who are cemented in the champions league places, show the minerals to make them what they are.....we in contrast have some way to go, that's clear.

In response to your point, that collapse can happen...it has happened a few too many times.....It only happens to teams who allow it to happen, that's another thing that separates us from the very top.

as the saying goes...."first time, coincidence, second time happenstance, third time, enemy action".....this is not going away, whilst we are WIP and having an unprecedented run of long term injuries to key players.

I don't think it's about perspective, ( in that sense) that's kind of accepting what has just happened as ok, and it's not....Unai Emery, will not be breezing in Monday morning, preaching perspective, he will be intent on working on how that debacle is not repeated.

I think the perspective we need is about recognising what we are good at, and what we are not so good at, and plugging those weaknesses, and building on the strengths.....either now or in the Summers window.....any injury returnees will also help.

We are undoubtedly  WIP and its encouraging to see Morgan Rogers development, Ollies assault on the magic 20 goal threshold, and Ezri's call up ( despite his day off on Saturday) 

Personally, I think champions league football, is a big ask for us, with the squad size as it is, and FFP rearing its ugly head, at every sign of our ambition.....I wouldn't refuse it naturally.....just a big ask for me.

We’re just not in a position to countenance refusing the minimum 50m that the champions league will give us in tv revenue, match day revenue, additional sponsorship revenue let alone the additional global exposure we will get. Especially in the PSR age. If anything a season in the champions league will stick 20m on the transfer fee of our key players and make it easier to attract the high potential younger players we will replace the eventual sales from the first team with. 

Yes we’re not ready for it but we will have a full summer to do that and will be stronger for some of these experiences such as brentford. 

6 hours ago, Leeroy said:

What? No it wasn't. Can't believe that got 2 likes if I'm honest, 60 points probably hasn't been enough for 5th in this league for the last 20 years or so.

• 22-23: Liverpool 5th (67 points)
  • 21-22: Arsenal 5th (69 points)
  • 20-21: Leicester 5th (66 points)
  • 19-20: Leicester 5th (62 points)

Correction: 2 out of the last 4. 

21/22 Man got 58 points in 6th.. 

19/20 Spurs got 59 points in 6th

Getting 60 points in either of these two seasons would’ve netted you 5th… 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeroesAndVillans said:

Trusting in Unai and the players and that is all I can do. Whether we get top 4 or not we have had a great season.

This for me, CL or not we’ve had a brilliant season.

• Like 2

I think we are absolutely ready for the champions league. With our squad fully fit, we have a really strong squad. Add in Kosta at right back and some of our youngsters improving, we would be in good shape. That’s before we do anything in the transfer market. A year in the Europa league won’t make us any more ready. We’d have more or less the same number of games to play. Furthermore, our players will be expecting us to qualify now so failure to do so will lead to disappointment and some big players likely looking for moves to champions league teams. We are in a tricky PSR position too so need every penny we can get. This could be a one time chance. We are unlikely to have a better chance any time soon. 

• Like 1

Whatever happens Man Utd must have the best goals to shots ratio in the league. Just so clinical/lucky.

They can face 30 shots every match, have 2 themselves and probably come out 2-1 winners. 

It's very irritating of them 😠 

Yeah we ain’t getting top 5 boys it’s over. I’ve said multiple times in this thread. Writing off United is moronic 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, grobs said:

Yeah we ain’t getting top 5 boys it’s over. I’ve said multiple times in this thread. Writing off United is moronic 

I've said the same thing. We're Villa of course we were never going to get CL acceptance of that fact is less painful