Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Oh absolutely. Making the Champions League is not going to change our world the way some people seem to think. 

I agree.  Champions League is going to be great for us fans, club finances and obviously the exposure the club is going to get but I don't see it as a sliding doors moment where we are going to do what Spurs have done for instance over the last 15 years. Players who want to play Champions League will not sign for Villa on that basis because there is no guarantee we will be up there each year, players will join Villa because they see the club as an exciting project that's on the up.

I think Newcastle would have signed the players they did last summer regardless of Champions League or not personally.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Are yo crazy? It will make a massive difference to the calibre of player we will bring in this summer which will be pivotal to us climbing higher next season. Unai has worked miracles with the current squad but we are a couple of engines down and running on fumes as we approach the runway. Massive upgrade ahead if we make it. 

I’m not so sure…what’s it done for Newcastle? Tonali? We’re not going to suddenly go out and buy Rodri, KDB etc because we sneak into the UCL for one year. Also FFP restrictions mean this is impossible 

14 minutes ago, rodders129 said:

I’m not so sure…what’s it done for Newcastle? Tonali? We’re not going to suddenly go out and buy Rodri, KDB etc because we sneak into the UCL for one year. Also FFP restrictions mean this is impossible 

You're absolutely right on the first part - the second part I think is the important one, if we keep raising the profile of the club by qualifying for European competitions (even if not the CL) we'll keep raising our incomes and those restrictions will keep getting less and less restrictive.

32 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Are yo crazy? It will make a massive difference to the calibre of player we will bring in this summer which will be pivotal to us climbing higher next season. Unai has worked miracles with the current squad but we are a couple of engines down and running on fumes as we approach the runway. Massive upgrade ahead if we make it. 

I think you might be disappointed. We will not be spending at a level that assumes we are now have Champions League revenue for the foreseeable. 

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

Neither could crumble. We could just both keep bobbing along in the same way we are now.

I don’t believe both sides will win all their “expected” to win games and lose to the expected top 3.

a side will drop points in a chunk in the last 7-8 games. 

I think the fact we have been out of it so long has resulted in a situation where a lot of us Don't value the CL.

The CL is the main event folks. To get there we have to have our beat season since the 90s and to be there we expose ourselves in a way we haven't in a generation.

38 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I think you might be disappointed. We will not be spending at a level that assumes we are now have Champions League revenue for the foreseeable. 

I guarantee I won’t be disappointed. Look at what we’ve achieved with what we’ve got, then imagine a gear above that. Extra income will not be spent on cast offs from Man U but that money, with the lure of UCL will see us get deals over the line with the likes of Nico Williams, who previously were not convinced enough. Im not sure the wider world understands the opportunity that Emery sees, he won’t say it out loud but UCL is his target, his only target. 

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I guarantee I won’t be disappointed. Look at what we’ve achieved with what we’ve got, then imagine a gear above that. Extra income will not be spent on cast offs from Man U but that money, with the lure of UCL will see us get deals over the line with the likes of Nico Williams, who previously were not convinced enough. Im not sure the wider world understands the opportunity that Emery sees, he won’t say it out loud but UCL is his target, his only target. 

It will bring some extra revenue, it might get a new signing over the line or help with sponsorship negotiations. What it won’t do is turn us into the new Tottenham or Arsenal. The same way it hasn’t for Newcastle and didn’t for Leicester. 

I would predict we are more likely than not to finish outside the Champions League the season after and I expect the club would be planning for that scenario in their spending. 

• Like 1

Just now, LondonLax said:

It will bring some extra revenue, it might get a new signing over the line or help with sponsorship negotiations. What it won’t do is turn us into the new Tottenham or Arsenal. The same way it hasn’t for Newcastle and didn’t for Leicester. 

I would predict we are more likely than not to finish outside the Champions League the season after and I expect the club would be planning for that scenario in their spending. 

We don't want to be Spurs, or Arsenal, and certainly not Newcastle or Leicester. And we won't be. 

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I think the fact we have been out of it so long has resulted in a situation where a lot of us Don't value the CL.

The CL is the main event folks. To get there we have to have our beat season since the 90s and to be there we expose ourselves in a way we haven't in a generation.

images.jpeg

• Haha 1

Let's say ManUre over perform and get 2 points a game, they'll finish on 66 points.  We need a point a game from our remaining fixtures to finish on that with a superior GD of 17.

For them to catch us we'd have to have an absolutely catastrophic end to the seson.

• Like 1

Like others I am more nervous/tuned in to the Spurs/Man U games as well as what is happening in the European games. This weekend and the mid-week games feel like a real pivotal point in our season. 

In a weird way, it might be a good thing we lost to Man City the way we did. Man City will get a bit of confidence back ahead of their game to Real Madrid (which we need them to win). It also keeps them in the title hunt with them playing Spurs towards the end of the season. We don’t want them treating that as a dead rubber. 

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

In a weird way, it might be a good thing we lost to Man City the way we did. Man City will get a bit of confidence back ahead of their game to Real Madrid (which we need them to win). It also keeps them in the title hunt with them playing Spurs towards the end of the season. We don’t want them treating that as a dead rubber. 

Reaching

12 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I don't think City need any help with confidence or motivation, they are entering steamrolling mode.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I don't think City need any help with confidence or motivation, they are entering steamrolling mode.

I don’t know. It’s not the same city side and the fans and the players were getting nervous I sense. This was a must win game for them. They have difficult fixtures left and they need to win every single one to stand a chance.