Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Nothin except for blind pessimism suggested they were capable of that though

They can’t do it imo especially as they keep giving up shots.  I was driving during the Brentford game and the commentators said on the radio that they’d given up 100 shots to the opposition teams in the last four games…that’s incredible and they have been more lucky than good defending and if they do that upcoming, somebody is going to smash them, maybe Liverpool on the weekend.

• Like 1

So West Ham win tonight, we beat City and then Chelsea beat Utd on Thurs. The only unrealistic bit of that is to predict our result - but yer never know...

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

They can’t do it imo especially as they keep giving up shots.  I was driving during the Brentford game and the commentators said on the radio that they’d given up 100 shots to the opposition teams in the last four games…that’s incredible and they have been more lucky than good defending and if they do that upcoming, somebody is going to smash them, maybe Liverpool on the weekend.

And even when the luck was going their way, they still weren't getting enough results to get anywhere near us.

If West Ham or Brighton were in their position nobody would have been talking about them being in the Champions League race for weeks

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not just shots but touches in the box. Apparently Brentford had something like the most touches in oppo box for 20 odd years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

They are the type of team that will turn up and beat Liverpool though. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

They are the type of team that will turn up and beat Liverpool though. 

and then lose to Bournemouth the following week. That’s why they are where they are and there is frustration in the club and amongst the fans.

• Like 1

This is a big one tonight. 

I think Spurs will beat Newcastle in the run in so don't want them getting a win at West Ham aswell otherwise they'll probably get past 70 points.

Hopefully it's more like the Fulham game where West Ham score first and then pick them off on the counter. With all of Paqueta, Antonio, Bowen and Kudus they have the players for it.

Big boost for us if Spurs stay below us this midweek and then we can beat Brentford and that piles the pressure on them to beat Forest at home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichW said:

Think Spurs will drop points today and our point against West Ham a couple of weeks ago will look good. 

West Ham alway turn up for Spurs, must be the London rivalry. Add to the fact the blew 3-1 lead against Newcastle and will look to bounce back, I fancy a draw in this game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

So West Ham win tonight, we beat City and then Chelsea beat Utd on Thurs. The only unrealistic bit of that is to predict our result - but yer never know...

I'd take us losing 2 or 3 nil if it guaranteed West Ham beating Spurs and Chelsea beating Man. United.

In our hands then to beat Brentford and then the table is this ahead of the Sunday games:

Us- 62 points

Spurs- 56 points

Man. United- 48 points.

So Man. United would have to go on this mythical 8/9 winning run to have any hope. Spurs then in must win mentality to keep up with us and we've seen in previous seasons they can quickly fall apart when that happens.

Most important thing over the next five day is we don't choke the Brentford game as that won't be easy and type of game that will cost us 4th if we don't win.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

Brentford will be a really tough game in many ways. They are getting their players back and look good going forward. Exactly the type of team we struggle against. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Brentford will be a really tough game in many ways. They are getting their players back and look good going forward. Exactly the type of team we struggle against. 

Always thought out of the two home games against Wolves and Brentford that the Brentford would be tougher despite our poor record against Wolves. Brentford will carry a much better attacking threat bar any injuries before hand. Was hoping Mbuemo wouldn't be back just yet. 

12 minutes ago, RichW said:

Always thought out of the two home games against Wolves and Brentford that the Brentford would be tougher despite our poor record against Wolves. Brentford will carry a much better attacking threat bar any injuries before hand. Was hoping Mbuemo wouldn't be back just yet. 

The good news is that they are still missing most of their defence. 

We will also have McGinn and hopefully Ramsey back for Brentford McGinn especially will surely be right up for it to make amends. 

Edited by Villa87
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Palace away is exactly the type of team/game we struggle in - and it's last day of the season.  Brentford are relatively open and we're at home; we should see them off (obviously anything can happen, yadda yadda).

• Like 1

It's pretty simple for me. I don't care about performances now til the end of the season, it's all about results. Match Spurs results and we get fourth. For me the Chelsea game is huge for them, and I think they'll lose. If we can better their results then great, but we match their results and we get fourth. We can play dogshit from now til the end of the season for all I care, just get the results.

• Like 2

I'd fully expect 5th place to be secure before the Palace game, and would assume the coefficient situation will be clear by then, so I'm hoping that game is a formality for CL football.

4th place I'd expect it to be up for grabs

36 minutes ago, RichW said:

Our record v Brentford isn't that much better than v Wolves really. The 4-0 last season was a bit of a freak result and they ended our winning run last April.

They'll turn it into a scrap aswell so need to avoid getting injuries and a red card aswell as that damaged us over the xmas period.

Big game in the run in tonight. I think West Ham is the hardest of their 'easier' games left. West Ham usually do well at home against Spurs. Spurs have won so many games late on that tonight does worry me. West Ham you would think would be the perfect kind of team to do a job on Spurs but that's now how football works. If Spurs beat both West Ham and Forest this week then I think we will be up against it finishing 4th.