Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Surely the most important thing we can do four our chances of Champions League football is to finish fourth?

Still don’t understand why some are ready to give up 4th so easy.  Spurs have the slightly easier run in but it’s 50/50 and both of us can win or lose any game left as we are both good and bad enough on any given day.

• Like 1

Spurs run in is not significantly easier than ours.

We each have to play Liverpool/City/Arsenal/Chelsea

Differences are we play Brentford, Bournemouth, Brighton, and Palace

They play Forest, Burnley, Sheffield, Newcastle, and Palace

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

@Tayls was going on about them winning nine in a row. They still have 9 games.

Even with that we'd just need 5 wins and draw from last eight so shows realistically what a remote prospect it is.

They aren't getting close to nine wins and a poor end to the season probably still results in us winning three more games and a draw or two.

I never said they are going to win 9 in a row I said they are probably capable of it. And then all I said was I wouldn’t be comfortable until it’s mathematically impossible. That’s far away from me saying, “Man U are going to catch us and we will finish 28th in the league.” 

5 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

It’s because we have Europe as well so fatiguing 

12 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Their games against Forest and Burnley probably aren’t going to be as easy as they might have been 2 weeks ago. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Might draw Celta Vigo, Helsingborgs or Varteks 😝

Don't I was at those games.  Still not got over Rapid Vienna either.  

Trabzonspor stands out too.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Surely the most important thing we can do four our chances of Champions League football is to finish fourth?

Very true!

47 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

They play Wham next which I wouldn't call a slam dunk. No game against Palace

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

They play Wham next which I wouldn't call a slam dunk. No game against Palace

Got caught up in all the edits. 

40 minutes ago, WHY said:

Their games against Forest and Burnley probably aren’t going to be as easy as they might have been 2 weeks ago. 

I agree - Palace need a few results but should be fully on the beach for our last match. Brentford will be a tough one no doubt. Bournemouth similarly might have nothing to play for by the time we play them.

Whereas Forest and Burnley still have a chance to escape.

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

I never said they are going to win 9 in a row I said they are probably capable of it. And then all I said was I wouldn’t be comfortable until it’s mathematically impossible. That’s far away from me saying, “Man U are going to catch us and we will finish 28th in the league.” 

They aren't though. The actual teams who will compete for and one eventually winning the league this season aren't capable of nine league wins in a row as none of them have done it this season so far (Arsenal the closest with eight straight wins until it stopped yesterday).

Last season Man. United finished comfortably top 4 and their longest winning run was 5 league games so similar type run to what we've done this season.

So they aren't capable of it anymore compared to the Ferguson era.

• Like 3

Trying to second guess the run in is just impossible in my opinion. Players can get injured. Teams can suddenly lose or gain form. I remember last season thinking we would never get 7th after the two one nil losses against Manure and The Dogheads. Then all of a sudden we went back into form .

We need to make sure we beat Lille and help cement 5th place for Champs League. Thats what i want . Couldnt give 2 fcks about 4th if 5th can be confirmed , especially if as i believe tberes no qualifying rounds and just this new league format. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Trying to second guess the run in is just impossible in my opinion. Players can get injured. Teams can suddenly lose or gain form. I remember last season thinking we would never get 7th after the two one nil losses against Manure and The Dogheads. Then all of a sudden we went back into form .

We need to make sure we beat Lille and help cement 5th place for Champs League. Thats what i want . Couldnt give 2 fcks about 4th if 5th can be confirmed , especially if as i believe tberes no qualifying rounds and just this new league format. 

Massive bonus if no qualifying, I didn't know that?! 

So excluding the four games we have in common, we play Brentford, Bournemouth, Brighton and Palace. Two home and two away. You’d hope all four will have little or nothing to play for when we play them, although Brentford are not safe yet. 

Spurs have West Ham away, Forest at home, Newcastle away, Burnley at home and Sheffield United away. Newcastle and West Ham away are very tough. Forest will be up for it to stay up. You’d hope Burnley might still be fighting for their lives in the second last game. I think 70 points would be a good return for Spurs. 

I’d take our fixtures every day of the week and twice on a Sunday, along with the fact we have three extra points on the board already. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

It would be nice finish top 4 tho and not get the inevitable, "spawny, jammy Vile only qualified for the Champions League cos 5th got an extra place" comments from our rivals.

You must have a nicer mobile plan than I do: to speak to anyone as far as our rivals are from Villa, I have to pay extra. 

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Rather see the table without Manure. No one cares about 6th this season

I make it

Villa 9

Arsenal 9

Spurs 8

Man C 6

Pool 6

So we are joint top.

13 hours ago, Tayls said:

I never said they are going to win 9 in a row I said they are probably capable of it.

Nothin except for blind pessimism suggested they were capable of that though