Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, DJBOB said:

Haha - Dortmund the easy draw.

When Atletico just knocked out the runner up and runaway Serie A winners.

Definitely on the wind up.

So who would have been an easier draw for Dortmund? Arsenal, Madrid, City, Bayern, PSG?

I know it has been difficult to calculate up to now with points for wins and draws and bonus points for winning group, then points for play off places etc.

But now it's just knockout how does it work. 

Is it 2 points per win per game of over the tie.

So for example if we win the home leg and draw the away leg would it be 2 + 1 (/8)

Or is it just 2 points for the tie (/8)

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

So who would have been an easier draw for Dortmund? Arsenal, Madrid, City, Bayern, PSG?

Dortmund will get hammered by Atletico. They are a very average team at best nowadays and were lucky to even beat PSV.

I still want to know why you think Arsenal v Man City in the SF would be bad btw.

22 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Whoever does these probabilities will show the draw has been bad for Englands chances of extra place and good for Germany. 

Dortmund easy draw.

Bayern and Leverkusen can knock out Arsenal and West Ham and effectively seal the extra place for Germany.

We may as well forfeit the season!!!

30 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Whoever does these probabilities will show the draw has been bad for Englands chances of extra place and good for Germany. 

Dortmund easy draw.

Bayern and Leverkusen can knock out Arsenal and West Ham and effectively seal the extra place for Germany.

Sure, it doesn't matter who gets the extra spot, United are going to finish above us anyway 😉

16 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Dortmund will get hammered by Atletico. They are a very average team at best nowadays and were lucky to even beat PSV.

I still want to know why you think Arsenal v Man City in the SF would be bad btw.

Yeah not bad as guarantees a finalist. It's more the head to head match ups England Vs Germany which are bad. Like 6 pointers basically. 

Edited by CVByrne

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It guarantees a finalist. It's more the head to head match ups England Vs Germany which are bad. Like 6 pointers basically. 

Saying Arsenal/City is bad fails to mention that in that scenario Bayern would be out and Germany would be down to 2 with no guaranteed finalist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It guarantees a finalist. It's more the head to head match ups England Vs Germany which are bad. Like 6 pointers basically. 

If Arsenal play Man City in the semis then Bayern will be out and can add no more points and either Arsenal or Man City are guaranteed to add further points. It's literally the best scenario.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, colhint said:

I know it has been difficult to calculate up to now with points for wins and draws and bonus points for winning group, then points for play off places etc.

But now it's just knockout how does it work. 

Is it 2 points per win per game of over the tie.

So for example if we win the home leg and draw the away leg would it be 2 + 1 (/8)

Or is it just 2 points for the tie (/8)

2 points per win plus bonus for qualifying.

So:

Villa 1-0 Lille

Lille 1-1 Villa

Would be 3+1 (I think)

Max you can get per tie is 5, divided by 8.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

2 points per win plus bonus for qualifying.

So:

Villa 1-0 Lille

Lille 1-1 Villa

Would be 3+1 (I think)

Max you can get per tie is 5, divided by 8.

2 for a win, 1 for a draw and 1 for round progression. So in your scenario it would be 4 divided by 8 - 0.5.

2 hours ago, Okonokos said:

I really think you're overthinking it.

Not sure about that.  If Liverpool and West Ham play each other , the most points England can get in the QFs is 5.  That's  2 for each win, plus 1 bonus for one team making it to the next round.  With one team left, the most England can get for the semi will also be 5, and then 3 for the final if they win it.  That's a max of 13.

If they avoid each other the max points England can get at the QF stage is 10  - 2 for each possible win, plus 2 for each team making to the next round.  If they both get through the most obtainable is again 10.  If both get to the final there will be one bonus points plus 2 more for the winner.   That's a potential total of 23 points.  

If they avoid each other and one of them wins but the other goes out at the QF stage,  the successful team can still get a max of 13 points.  As well as that, the unsuccessful team could still win one of their legs and get a further two points, so a max of 15 points.

As far as I can see the only scenario with a lower potential maximum points than them playing each other is if they avoid each other but both go out. 

Based on that I'd say it's better for them to avoid each other.  

Yours nerdily.

Edited by El Segundo

30 minutes ago, calcifer said:

Some of the posts in here. Jeez pass me the rope!

It's still all to play for until its mathematically not possible to finish in an champions league spot. 

If we fail to qualify then we wasn't good enough. We go again..... 🤣

it’s just one poster tbf. Everyone else is chilling. 😎 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

BNxzVUi.png

Throw in our games against Lille and possibly semi finals and this is going to be some job for Unai. 

Unless we completely shit the bed before April starts I'm still not concerned about United, if we can just get motoring again we'll be more than fine. 2024 has been a bit up and down trying to gather momentum.