Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

So if Arsenal and West Ham both lose, we're in a pretty big hole aren't we?

Yup if that happens then the likelihood is we have 3 teams left and Germany have 4. Each win for them is worth more than our wins. You’ve then got a potential 3 games per club so not a lot of time to make up any point differences. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Yup if that happens then the likelihood is we have 3 teams left and Germany have 4. Each win for them is worth more than our wins. You’ve then got a potential 3 games per club so not a lot of time to make up any point differences. 

Are there extra coefficient points available for winning the final? If so, it might not be an absolute disaster. Granted,it's going to be difficult for English teams to win CL, EL and ECL, but not impossible. Man City, Liverpool and Villa are all favourites in their respective competitions.

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Are there extra coefficient points available for winning the final? If so, it might not be an absolute disaster. Granted,it's going to be difficult for English teams to win CL, EL and ECL, but not impossible. Man City, Liverpool and Villa are all favourites in their respective competitions.

Not that I can see.

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

How’d Newcastle manage it last season then?

If I remember correctly Newcastle got fortunate with injuries and don't recall them having any long term injuries to their first choice 11? Apart from Isak before the world cup I think they could field their first choice 11 week in week out and also had the luxury of having a week between each game. Newcastle didn't have Europe last season - makes what we are doing more impressive tbh. 

Can i just confirm.....

5th spot CL if we get top 2 in the CL thingy ma bob.

Does the league also get a second Europa League spot if the winner of the FA Cup has already qualified for Europe via the league?

So in theory, could there possibly be a scenario where top 5 is CL, then 6th AND 7th Europa League, and 8th Conference League?!?!

edit: i see something about 8 PL teams can never qualify for Europe directly from the league.

so what happens if we get the 5 CL places in the PL, and a team qualifying for europe wins with FA cup, where does the Europa league placing go?, to the runner up?

Edited by MaVilla

To be optimistic, I do think that a lot of these recent results are a bit self-inflicted. Some by injury, but some by straying away from what has made us strong.

With the right team balance, I think we still see out 5 wins to match or better Spurs over the stretch run here.

The additional absence of McGinn will hurt but we have the below left. Squint and I could see these results.

West Ham (a) - D

Wolves (h) - W

City (a) - L

Brentford (h) - W

Arsenal (a) - L

Bournemouth (h) - W

Chelsea (h) - D

Brighton (a) - W

Liverpool (h) - L

Palace (a) - W

17 points to get over the line and potentially Palace away to decide it. Still can't help but think Palace away might be the one to get it done.

20 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Can i just confirm.....

Does the league also get a second Europa League spot if the winner of the FA Cup has already qualified for Europe via the league?

So in theory, could there possibly be a scenario where top 5 is CL, then 6th AND 7th Europa League, and 8th Conference League?!?!

edit: i see something about 8 PL teams can never qualify for Europe directly from the league.

so what happens if we get the 5 CL places in the PL, and a team qualifying for europe wins with FA cup, where does the Europa league placing go?, to the runner up?

Didn’t we have 8 teams qualify for Europe this past year?

2 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Didn’t we have 8 teams qualify for Europe this past year?

not via the league i dont think?

7 from the league, 1 from spam winning the conference league?

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

To be optimistic, I do think that a lot of these recent results are a bit self-inflicted. Some by injury, but some by straying away from what has made us strong.

With the right team balance, I think we still see out 5 wins to match or better Spurs over the stretch run here.

The additional absence of McGinn will hurt but we have the below left. Squint and I could see these results.

West Ham (a) - D

Wolves (h) - W

City (a) - L

Brentford (h) - W

Arsenal (a) - L

Bournemouth (h) - W

Chelsea (h) - D

Brighton (a) - W

Liverpool (h) - L

Palace (a) - W

17 points to get over the line and potentially Palace away to decide it. Still can't help but think Palace away might be the one to get it done.

A draw against Liverpool is possible...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I might well be wrong, but I'm sure there's a scenario where the Europa League place from the league disappears altogether and 6th would be conference.

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Can i just confirm.....

The PL site now says that seven teams could qualify for the Champions League! It doesn’t elaborate fully on what that does to the other competitions, only that

In theory, there could even be seven Premier League clubs in the Champions League next season, although it would require for Premier League clubs to win this season’s UCL and UECL while both finishing outside the top five.  

Qualification for the two other UEFA competitions, the Europa League and Europa Conference League, will follow the same protocols as in previous years, albeit if the fifth spot qualifies for the Champions League, the Europa League spot will go to the team finishing sixth.  

And those are just from the league and winning UEFA cups, so in fact it sounds like it’s now possible to have 10 PL teams in Europe (the 5 places + UEL and UECL winners qualify for CL, plus 6th place + FA cup winner to UEL, plus League Cup winner to UECL if these are all different teams).

• Shocked 1

In theory, there could even be seven Premier League clubs in the Champions League next season, although it would require for Premier League clubs to win this season’s UCL and UECL while both finishing outside the top five.

I think this is an error?

If we finish 6th and win the conference league, we don't get into the champions league.

Brighton can get in by winning the Europa.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I might well be wrong, but I'm sure there's a scenario where the Europa League place from the league disappears altogether and 6th would be conference.

Only if a non euro teams wins the Fa cup, but even if that happens as long as 5th is CL spot, 6th will be Europa league.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, useless said:

We need to concentrate on trying to finish fourth, all this talk of fifth being good enough for Champions League can lead to complacency.

Villa fans talk about what a good job Emery has done, but don't seem to have much faith in him, as soon as a team comes within a few points of us they give up on our ability to finish above that team, and act like we need a massive points cushion to stand a chance, happened previously with Man Utd, and now is happening with Spurs, will probably happen again with Man Utd next weekend if they win and we lose.

If we win next weekend and Spurs lose, Spurs will be closer to Man Utd than us, even if the opposite was to happen and we lost and Spurs won, we would still be in a good position, as Spurs would only be one point ahead of us, and still nine games left to play, ten for them but they have a tougher schedule, point being at the moment we're still in with a very good chance of getting fourth

Agreed, aim for 5th, and we will end up 6th

33 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I think this is an error?

If we finish 6th and win the conference league, we don't get into the champions league.

Brighton can get in by winning the Europa.

Oh yeah I posted that before. The error is that they say winners of CL and UECL when they mean CL and UEL.

You'd hope that otherwise, the PL know the rules.

24 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Regardless it can’t happen because the only English teams left in the UCL are in the top 3 and won’t be budging from there 

Not this year obviously, but it's possible in future - we already have the situation where West Ham this year (and Brighton before their last match) had a moderate chance of winning the UEL but being outside the top 5. Then it's not difficult to imagine next year you could have us or Tottenham into the knockouts or at least the play-off round of the CL but outside the top 5 in the PL.

• Like 1