Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 minute ago, MSvillain said:

One of the most frustrating lines people trot out, no data or stats behind it 

Because the Sky media goons always talk about these teams that fans buy into the hype

Chelsea team starting today will struggle to finish top 10 and this is been proven

2 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

yeah you're right. we may as well just pack up and not even bother then

What are you on about? You asked a question and I’ve given a response. They do have greater spending power, but that doesn’t mean we can’t compete.

Edited by ferguson1

38 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

What are you on about? You asked a question and I’ve given a response. They do have greater spending power, but that doesn’t mean we can’t compete.

Chelsea have spent close a $1bn and are well below us, yet they are magically gonna come good next season are they?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Chelsea have spent close a $1bn and are well below us, yet they are magically gonna come good next season are they?

I think the idea is they’ve bought a lot of young players who individually have a lot of potential and they’ll click eventually. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Also with Ty, Buendia and Kamara back and some more shaping with the squad (Rb, Kamara cover, Watkins cover) over the summer we’d have a much stronger and balanced squad overall to compete on multiple fronts. 

Kamara won't be back until December/Jan. Mings after a year out and with his game being based on mobility is a huge question mark sadly. Buendia for Zaniolo is alright given the Italian has barely done anything for four months now.

I do think people are underestimating how much CL will take out of us especially if we're playing a Wednesday evening and then have a Saturday evening game. It's a bit different to playing Mostar at home given the calibre of opposition we would face as a low seed (although winning the Conference league would raise our co-efficient substantially).

A good guide will be how we look v Spurs after playing Ajax. 

1 hour ago, MSvillain said:

One of the most frustrating lines people trot out, no data or stats behind it 

Other than the past 10 years. It's been the same 6 teams year after year. Eventually they will get back there as there revenue is much higher than ours.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Other than the past 10 years. It's been the same 6 teams year after year. Eventually they will get back there as there revenue is much higher than ours.

Apparently you can’t have that kind of opinion without backing it up with stats and data 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Chelsea are facing a 1 year European ban so will probably do a Juventus and forfeit this European season if they qualify for the Conference

They’ve been forfeiting CL as well based on last two season 😂

• Haha 1

Yeah, people understand that about the financial prowess of certain clubs. But by the same token they back us under this manager and these owners to be smart.

Also, as I said earlier, who is to say Liverpool won't struggle post Klopp? We have seen it post Wenger and Ferguson the impact of replacing someone who literally transformed their whole club. So while a Chelsea or a Man U may 'get their act together', a Liverpool or an Arsenal may well have a wobble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think the idea is they’ve bought a lot of young players who individually have a lot of potential and they’ll click eventually. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. 

I'm not sure they've looked at attitude and mindset at all.

Throwing all these incredibly well paid youngsters in together has made them unmanageable. Poch has been awful, but even Unai would have no chance if he went there because they wouldn't listen and carry out gameplans.

Lovely stuff.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Throwing all these incredibly well paid youngsters in together has made them unmanageable. Poch has been awful, but even Unai would have no chance if he went there because they wouldn't listen and carry out gameplans.

Lovely stuff.

I hope you’re right. 

A few years without European football will massively affect their finances (if they aren’t f****** already).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

There are also plenty of studies to show that wage budgets directly correlate to league finishes.

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There are also plenty of studies to show that wage budgets directly correlate to league finishes.

And Chelsea have the 8th highest revenue in the world even without CL football… and so can spend the 8th highest in the world on their wages.

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Kamara won't be back until December/Jan. Mings after a year out and with his game being based on mobility is a huge question mark sadly. Buendia for Zaniolo is alright given the Italian has barely done anything for four months now.

I do think people are underestimating how much CL will take out of us especially if we're playing a Wednesday evening and then have a Saturday evening game. It's a bit different to playing Mostar at home given the calibre of opposition we would face as a low seed (although winning the Conference league would raise our co-efficient substantially).

A good guide will be how we look v Spurs after playing Ajax. 

Thing is though. Imagine our squad following a summer transfer window ahead of a champions league campaign.

We would have 3 or 4 very high calibre additions to what we already have. 

46 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Lovely stuff.

I dont think it is the youngsters, I think it's the slightly older guys who are fairly well established highly paid high transfer international players who struggle to even get a place on the bench 

Mudryk for example, he cost what £80m? Guess a wage of at least £150k a week, he's how far down the pecking order? Behind Palmer, sterling, Nkunku, madueke, he's started 9 PL games 

While at the same time they've only got 3 PL quality CMs

They've got the 2 most expensive LBs in history 

But they don't have a proper striker 

And all that said... They will come good eventually, the idea of their demise is the same as arsenal's and man Utds, they'll find a way back, there's too much money there not to

21 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Mudryk for example, he cost what £80m? Guess a wage of at least £150k a week,

He's on 100k a week. They gave them lower wages but on long 8 year contract

• Like 2