Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Bears repeating, that throughout our poor form, coinciding with United's excellent form, they've gained 3 points on us. 

5 points sounds like nothing but it's a really hard gap to overhaul, especially at the top of the table where teams are more likely to win than not.

EDIT: Corrected 1 point to 3 points

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Bears repeating, that throughout our poor form, coinciding with United's excellent form, they've gained 1 point on us. 

5 points sounds like nothing but it's a really hard gap to overhaul, especially at the top of the table where teams are more likely to win than not.

Don’t forget though that depending on how we did in the last game and the optimism levels of the fanbase, we are either going to win every game for the next year or lose 25 times on the spin.

• Like 2

By the same token:

Our gaps to other teams from the Arsenal game to now

Newcastle: 9 -> 10

West Ham: 11 -> 10

Brighton: 9 -> 11

Spurs: +8 -> -1

The big winners of our drop off is Spurs. The others have either barely made up any ground or even fallen further back. The teams above us have also opened up a gap. The teams below us have barely had any impact.

In our bad spell, we've gained 1.375 PPG. United are also 18 goals behind, so it's essentially 6 points. 

If we maintain that (ergo maintain our bad form) United would need to maintain around 1.45 PPG to overtake us. If we improve to 1.5 PPG (so 21 points, 7 more wins from 14, or 6 wins, 3 draws) then United would need almost 2 PPG to overtake us. 

That would mean winning 9 out of the remaining 14 games. That includes trips to Man City and Chelsea, as well as home games to Newcastle, Arsenal and Liverpool.

If they do that, they deserve to qualify for the CL at our expense tbh.

This is only taking into account us vs United for 5th.

We are also very capable of going on a decent run, taking around 1.75 PPG and finishing 4th.

td;tr, yes, it's annoying we lost to United but we're still in an insanely strong position.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/02/2024 at 14:28, Stevo985 said:

After we beat Arsenal, Man Utd were 8 points behind us. 

Now they’re 5 points behind us. 

All of that poor form, all of these shit games, and they’ve caught up 3 points. And that’s because they fluked a result against us last night 

Dont underestimate how difficult it will be to overtake us 

Amazingly, they beat us twice since then and still only gained 3 points on us.

• Like 2

Sorry to beat this to death, but I would say we need that 1.5 PPG to confirm 5th. And around 1.75 to be back in contention for 4th.

1.5 PPG = 19/20 points

1.75 PPG = 24/25 points

19/20 points = 5 wins, 4 draws, 5 losses / 6 wins, 1/2 draws, 6/7 losses / 7 wins, 7 losses

24/25 points = 6 wins, 6 draws, 2 losses / 7 wins, 3/4 draws, 3/4 losses

Simply put, almost regardless of the teams below us, if we win 6 more games, we've pretty much got 5th (assuming we draw 1 or 2 more games in that run)

If we win 7 more games, 4th is in play.

If we win 8 more, 4th is very likely.

Fixtures:

Fulham
Forest
Luton
Spurs
West Ham
Wolves
City
Brentford
Arsenal
Bournemouth
Chelsea
Brighton
Liverpool
Palace

If we can't win 6 of them, we don't deserve it. Simple as that.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

Sorry to beat this to death, but I would say we need that 1.5 PPG to confirm 5th. And around 1.75 to be back in contention for 4th.

1.5 PPG = 19/20 points

1.75 PPG = 24/25 points

19/20 points = 5 wins, 4 draws, 5 losses / 6 wins, 1/2 draws, 6/7 losses / 7 wins, 7 losses

Simply put, if we win 6 more games, we've pretty much got 5th (assuming we draw 1 or 2 more games in that run)

Fixtures:

Fulham
Forest
Luton
Spurs
West Ham
Wolves
City
Brentford
Arsenal
Bournemouth
Chelsea
Brighton
Liverpool
Palace

Fixtures:

Fulham
Forest
Luton
Spurs
West Ham
Wolves
City
Brentford
Arsenal
Bournemouth
Chelsea
Brighton
Liverpool
Palace

On paper - that's 6 wins that I would wholeheartedly expect, with the toughest one for me being Luton away. When you view it like this - if we can take 6 wins off these lot - 3 home and 3 away, then we have to battle our way through 2-3 wins from top half opponents.

The numbers are on our side - we just have to make it happen. The last time we dropped points at home to a bottom half team was Leicester. If we can't get 2 wins from 8 matches against top half opponents, then we don't deserve 4th either.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

1.5 PPG = 19/20 points

1.75 PPG = 24/25 points

Simply put, almost regardless of the teams below us, if we win 6 more games, we've pretty much got 5th (assuming we draw 1 or 2 more games in that run)

Fixtures:

Fulham
Forest
Luton

Spurs
West Ham

Wolves
City
Brentford
Arsenal
Bournemouth
Chelsea

Brighton
Liverpool

Palace

If I had to make an attempt at predicting the rest of the season this is what I think it would be. Only one I've left is the Palace game because it will be dependant on what sort of result we/Palace need going into the game. 

Spurs/West Ham games back-to-back are key I feel, even if we could win one of those it would help us a lot (preferably the Spurs game). Forest, Wolves, Brentford, Bournemouth and Chelsea are home games I feel we should be winning (I know Chelsea just beat us comfortably but I back Emery not to make the same mistake twice). 

Don't see us picking up anything away to Man City, Arsenal, Brighton (will probably want to owe us one for the 6-1) and Liverpool usually beat us at Villa Park. Anything in those games are a bonus to me. 

If football was predictable we'd all be rich so it will no doubt be a case we drop points unexpectedly but pick up points elsewhere. 21 points going into the Palace game could have us top 5 sealed before the last game right?  

4 minutes ago, RichW said:

If I had to make an attempt at predicting the rest of the season this is what I think it would be. Only one I've left is the Palace game because it will be dependant on what sort of result we/Palace need going into the game. 

Spurs/West Ham games back-to-back are key I feel, even if we could win one of those it would help us a lot (preferably the Spurs game). Forest, Wolves, Brentford, Bournemouth and Chelsea are home games I feel we should be winning (I know Chelsea just beat us comfortably but I back Emery not to make the same mistake twice). 

Don't see us picking up anything away to Man City, Arsenal, Brighton (will probably want to owe us one for the 6-1) and Liverpool usually beat us at Villa Park. Anything in those games are a bonus to me. 

If football was predictable we'd all be rich so it will no doubt be a case we drop points unexpectedly but pick up points elsewhere. 21 points going into the Palace game could have us top 5 sealed before the last game right?  

21 points should be enough for 5th, assuming United don't win another 9 games. And if they win 8, they'd need to get another 3 draws. I don't see them getting 27 from their remaining fixtures anyway.

Edited by StefanAVFC

6 minutes ago, RichW said:

I'd swap West Ham a win and a Wolves draw considering we can't manage to beat the stupid dog heads. Would feel amazing if we could get one over Wolves at a crucial time for once though.

I think De Zerbi can't help but play his way against us and that plays into our hands. They lack that vertical threat that has killed us against Newcastle/Liverpool and I back our players against them.

Really - it all boils down to winning games we should be winning and being competitive in the tough ones. It's hard not to feel pessimistic with form and injuries but a couple key returns at the right time and any one of our non Leon Bailey players catching fire will get us over the line and re-tool in the summer.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

21 points should be enough for 5th, assuming United don't win another 9 games. And if they win 8, they'd need to get another 3 draws. I don't see them getting 27 from their remaining fixtures anyway.

Looking at their fixtures and I feel like I am being generous with some of the wins. More then capable of dropping points against Luton, Fulham, Palace and losing to Brentford, Chelsea and Bournemouth. Plus they will have some mid-week games the further they go in the FA cup. 

Luton  - W
Fulham - W
Man City - L
Everton - W
Sheff Utd - W
Brentford  - D
Chelsea - D
Liverpool - L
Bournemouth - D
Newcastle  - D
Burnley - W
Palace - W
Arsenal - L
Brighton - L 

3 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I'd swap West Ham a win and a Wolves draw considering we can't manage to beat the stupid dog heads. Would feel amazing if we could get one over Wolves at a crucial time for once though.

I think De Zerbi can't help but play his way against us and that plays into our hands. They lack that vertical threat that has killed us against Newcastle/Liverpool and I back our players against them.

Really - it all boils down to winning games we should be winning and being competitive in the tough ones. It's hard not to feel pessimistic with form and injuries but a couple key returns at the right time and any one of our non Leon Bailey players catching fire will get us over the line and re-tool in the summer.

I thought the same before we played West Ham and put them to the sword. Cunha ruled out for the season by the looks of it so they are a striker down who has just hit form. They need Neto to stay injury free for the rest of the season.

Got to factor in once the league table hits 30-32 games - some of these mid-table sides will start to see the beach in the distance. Can't qualify for Europe and not going to go down. Of course this works for Spurs/Man Utd aswell. 

40 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

1.5 PPG = 19/20 points

1.75 PPG = 24/25 points

Fixtures:

Fulham
Forest
Luton
Spurs
West Ham
Wolves
City
Brentford
Arsenal
Bournemouth
Chelsea
Brighton
Liverpool
Palace

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, RichW said:

I thought the same before we played West Ham and put them to the sword. Cunha ruled out for the season by the looks of it so they are a striker down who has just hit form. They need Neto to stay injury free for the rest of the season.

Got to factor in once the league table hits 30-32 games - some of these mid-table sides will start to see the beach in the distance. Can't qualify for Europe and not going to go down. Of course this works for Spurs/Man Utd aswell. 

Yeah - somewhat fortuitous that Palace away is the last match. Not a far travel distance for us and they will surely be at the beach.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Oh good Diego injured as well.

It’s completely ridiculous at this point. I actually feel pretty sorry for the coaching staff and players that all the hard work they’ve put in this season might count for nothing (or much less than was hoped)because of some freakish levels of bad luck.

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Well the supercomputer still believes in us, so who are you?!

" The prediction has tipped VIlla to amass 68 (67.8 points) after their 38 games. This will be enough to finish ahead of fifth-placed Tottenham Hotspur who have 67 (67.2) points as their final predicted total. "

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/supercomputer-predicts-aston-villa-final-28628042

That settles it then 😀

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rubberman said:

With no defence left, we'll just have to go all Keegan all-out attack.

Absolutely, it's a good job our tactics don't depend on playing out from the back slowly to suck in opposition... Oh wait a minute ;)

• Haha 2