Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Our early season form was incredible. No team knew how to fully deal with us. 

Now they do. Play a low block and lots of high pressing and we lose all momentum, killing off any service to Ollie (this is the main reason he is not scoring, not cus he's suddenly turned to shite). 

Diaby has gone backwards, ramsey has been poor, zaniolo poor, bailey hit and miss over recent weeks so thats our whole front line off it. 

Mcginn's standards have dropped and our full backs, who are the main threat of attack have been inconsistent also. 

Thank god for emi and konsa. 

Anyone who is not concerned by our present form and level of team and individual performance is living in a dreamland. 

To think the teams below us have zero chance of catching us because we are 8 points clear of 6th is so naive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We can play against a high press, we just need everyone firing, and Pau Torres back. 

We havent been found out, just in a slump of form with some injuries to key players. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Now they do. Play a low block and lots of high pressing and we lose all momentum, killing off any service to Ollie (this is the main reason he is not scoring, not cus he's suddenly turned to shite). 

Diaby has gone backwards, ramsey has been poor, zaniolo poor, bailey hit and miss over recent weeks so thats our whole front line off it. 

Mcginn's standards have dropped and our full backs, who are the main threat of attack have been inconsistent also. 

Anyone who is not concerned by our present form and level of team and individual performance is living in a dreamland. 

To think the teams below us have zero chance of catching us because we are 8 points clear of 6th is so naive. 

Results after the Arsenal match are 2W 2D 1L. 

That is a “slump” but your hyperbole is saying we’re naive in thinking other teams can’t catch us. 

Our slump is 8 points out of 15, which maintains Unai’s 2 PPG average. 

The wins against City and Arsenal raises expectations but we’re still moving along at more or less the same pace and crucially, we finally get a run of home matches come up. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Yep. 

It’s a long season and there’s still a lot to play for. Chelsea and West Ham are having a purple patch but they both left a lot to be desired early in the season. 

Similarly, us, Arsenal, and Tottenham are hanging around the same kind of form. Pau comes back, crucial home matches, form turns around. 

You would think by the histrionics by some that we haven’t won a match since City and Arsenal and all of our competitors have won everything. 

83ff6bd2-6f61-4872-848a-3d7d51d35718.jpeg

Pau coming back would obviously be big, but realistically we can still go on a good run without him, as we showed last season.

I also don’t think every team we face will be temperamentally willing to just play a low block. That’s going to mainly be the lower table sides who are happy to scrap for a point or a goal against the run of play.

We’ll carry on picking up big wins IMO.

1 hour ago, RichW said:

Last year we had no mid week games and also teams didn’t really respect us that much. Definitely didn’t have the approach of Sheff Utd, Everton or Brentford last season for sure. 

Teams see Villa as a bit of scalp this season, last season they didn’t. Not sure why you are bringing up last season.  

I'm not bringing up last season, just the beginning of this one.

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

What you’re saying has a lot of merit.  

We aren’t playing well, we do seem to be struggling but I think this is missing the positive side of it.

Despite all this we still have picked up very good points in the form guide, we still have the same amount of points as second in the league and still in the cup.  We have just played Chelsea who have made Stamford Bridge a fortress since the start of November.  So despite Chelsea being in good form and at home and us being in poor form the stats don’t look too bad.

I can’t imagine all those players you mention above will continue in poor form, can you?  Even a slight uptick should reap rewards back to better performances because the results need an uplift but not that bad, it’s the performances that have been poor.  

It’s the performances that people are freaking out about because the results and stats are only slightly below par.

IMG_1877.jpeg

13 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I can’t imagine all those players you mention above will continue in poor form, can you?  Even a slight uptick should reap rewards back to better performances because the results need an uplift but not that bad, it’s the performances that have been poor.  

IMG_1877.jpeg

About the players, i'd hope not, but who knows. Diaby was on fire and has just progressively got worse, with little signs of a turnaround. Results might be 'ok', but how long will that continue when performances hhave been consistently poor since our last conference league home game, imo

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It would help if people really and truly accepted that we're not going to win the league. Once you accept that, individual games of dropped points matter much less as whoever finishes 4th and 5th drops loads of points over a season. 

I do agree we need to be getting 4 or 6 points out of the next two though, partly because these are fairly 'easy' fixtures this season and partly because we need to dispel some of the gloom that's gathering in our corner of the Discourse. 

I think that's a great point.

The title race thread has dropped well down the page in last two weeks so I think for 99% reality has dawned a bit with Liverpool pulling away and Man. City already on winning streak before Haaland returns.

It was fun but we are not going to win the league as you need around 90 points to do that and that's simply beyond us.

However 70 points could very well be enough for 4th so we could still lose 3-4 matches and draw a couple and we'd still reach that figure.

Have a look at Newcastle's form from January up to May. They had a stick run up to the cup final and then in last few weeks they were losing to Arsenal and drawing v likes of Leicester and Leeds.

What got them over the line was winning 5 straight in March and early April before we destroyed them at VP.

That's what we need, one more 4-5 match winning streak and that should give us a decent buffer over Spurs. It's vital we don't lapse into thinking endless draws at VP are good enough now, need to keep winning at home and then we will pick up away wins here and there.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think that's a great point.

The title race thread has dropped well down the page in last two weeks so I think for 99% reality has dawned a bit with Liverpool pulling away and Man. City already on winning streak before Haaland returns.

It was fun but we are not going to win the league as you need around 90 points to do that and that's simply beyond us.

However 70 points could very well be enough for 4th so we could still lose 3-4 matches and draw a couple and we'd still reach that figure.

Have a look at Newcastle's form from January up to May. They had a stick run up to the cup final and then in last few weeks they were losing to Arsenal and drawing v likes of Leicester and Leeds.

What got them over the line was winning 5 straight in March and early April before we destroyed them at VP.

That's what we need, one more 4-5 match winning streak and that should give us a decent buffer over Spurs. It's vital we don't lapse into thinking endless draws at VP are good enough now, need to keep winning at home and then we will pick up away wins here and there.

Yeah I agree. People got carried away with, what was at the time, title winning form. I even posted around the new year not to panic when we start slipping a bit. 

Currently we’re a 4th-6th team. 

To put it into perspective, if we continue our “slumping” form, we will finish at 68 points, so we have to be just a little better (which we know we are) to get UCL. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

Oh I agree but we have 11 points in 18, got through third round of FA Cup, and a draw at Chelsea whose home record for the last few months is impressive. So our performances haven’t been great we are still getting results.  Our performances should improve soon hopefully.

We have all the makings  of a great side, picking up points whilst we’re not playing that well. This is a prerequisite of every successful team that has ever been and we are fitting the bill. I think we will put a run together (not that we really haven’t all season already.) I’d almost put my house on it. I still think we could prossibly  win it, but we will see. 

19 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I guess after playing 19 or so Premier League games you get to a point where it’s difficult to surprise teams and with the amount of analysis out there it’s a lot easier for teams to figure you out.

Obviously the challenge for Emery for the second half of the season is what tweaks tactically he can do to make us a bit more unpredictable. Be interesting to see how the Newcastle game goes, you’d like to think they will try and have a go at Villa Park which can play into our hands but then again I’m pretty sure they went to Stamford Bridge a few weeks ago and only had like 20% possession or something around that. 

2 hours ago, RichW said:

I guess after playing 19 or so Premier League games you get to a point where it’s difficult to surprise teams and with the amount of analysis out there it’s a lot easier for teams to figure you out.

Obviously the challenge for Emery for the second half of the season is what tweaks tactically he can do to make us a bit more unpredictable. Be interesting to see how the Newcastle game goes, you’d like to think they will try and have a go at Villa Park which can play into our hands but then again I’m pretty sure they went to Stamford Bridge a few weeks ago and only had like 20% possession or something around that. 

It will be interesting what Howe does. Teams have shown great effectiveness at pressing us high with Pau out. 

But we’re different gravy at home. Newcastle might sit back like they did against City and go for the counter. 

It’s not looking great, I knew that the moment Kamara was sent off, then added to Torres, but,

Against Sheffield Utd it was one of those games, while against Utd we were a bit naive tactically after being 2-0 up, Ten Hag done it twice against us (last season League Cup). Then we’ve played good against Burnley (We had a very good first half against Brentford but without scoring). Against Everton it reminded me with our away games last season, we used to do that and make games less tension while trying to win from some chances. That gave me more confidence actually, As we need to calm things down, against Chelsea was the game I got more confidence actually, when you look at their individuals, they’re one of the best especially midfield, they have a good manager and it started clicking for them. I was expecting the worse. Gladly most of their chances were gifts from us (not it’s a good thing but also it doesn’t show our system collapsed). 

We’re lacking some creativity, but scoring early would help us a lot. Tough game coming against Newcastle. Let’s see how it goes. Howe done us last time. I think Emery will be considering this game in a different way, he’ll still remember the 5-1 while even looking at our certain performances. I liked how he respected Chelsea despite many were taking them easily, it’s a different Chelsea right now. As we’ve seen with Utd every quality team can bounce back, so we shall be sure Newcastle don’t do it against us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Emery will be wanting top 4, some fans saying they'll be happy with 5th-6th, not for me. I thought top 4 would be too much for us aorund Novenber and wasn't really bothered, but we have now come so far. We need to find that great form that got us in to the top 4 in the first place, so I'll go with Emery.

We shall take it game at a time, this week is a very tough and important game, win it and it will give us a good breath from Newcastle. 

6 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

We shall take it game at a time, this week is a very tough and important game, win it and it will give us a good breath from Newcastle. 

At home to Newcastle, a game that will definately show us where we are going for the rest of the season. A win, we are moving on, a loss, I don't wanna talk a out it!

• Thanks 1