Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

43 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I just think they have a bigger and better squad. The likes of Duran, Cash, Olsen and even Ramsey of late, are just not good enough for the level we are aiming for.

5th has a 77% chance of getting a CL place and I think we can get it.

Whilst I think you are correct in that Spurs are probably going to be the biggest threat to us finishing top 4 I would say that we are half way through the season and are above them which suggests we have nothing to fear from them. The style they play means they will always have more injuries than the average team. They might pip us to 4th but if they do it will be a close run thing

8 minutes ago, picicata said:

Whilst I think you are correct in that Spurs are probably going to be the biggest threat to us finishing top 4 I would say that we are half way through the season and are above them which suggests we have nothing to fear from them. The style they play means they will always have more injuries than the average team. They might pip us to 4th but if they do it will be a close run thing

Oh I agree it will be pretty close, I just think that had the amount of injuries to key players been the other way round whem we played them, they would have won and they'd now be 3 points above us rather than behind us.

I reckon 4th may be a step too far this season but you never know.

Edited by GlobalVillan

7 minutes ago, Rodders said:

defeats for uniteds newcastle and manchester. Useful today after yesterday. Spurs winning expected.

A draw in Liverpool - Arsenal,and the weekend hasnt been that bad after all. Would have been a lot better with a win yesterday looking at the results today of course. But it could have been much worse if the teams around us had won their games (if you can call Man Utd for a team beeing "around us :D")

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Gary Neville says it'll be a miracle for Villa to finish top four now. The same Villa that, if results stay the same, will be 2nd in the table at Christmas 🙄

I don't really get his thinking. If we had won and had two extra points would he have thought we were a shoe in for the top 4? We might miss out on the top 4 but it will be because of results over the season as a whole not just a single one half way through the season

It's almost like he's a completely reactionary idiot.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Tottenham breathing down our necks. That's when then little fine margins and " dropped " points could come back to bite us in the ass.

Arsenal Liverpool going out way so far though

Spurs are a good team this season and don't have any European football to worry about, they are certainly the biggest threat to us finishing in the top four.

Even just being able to type that sentence pleases me though, we've come so far so quickly

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Yes I think our squad has shown itself to be significantly worse than Spurs squad several times this season. (By that I mean that we have struggled pretty much every time we have had to make a few changes ie Mostar, Everton,  Sheff Utd.....)

We won at their place when they had about 6 players out and whilst it was a good win, we barely got over the line. 

Had they had Maddison and Bentancur (they had many more out)! and we were missing Watkins and Luiz, I reckon we would have lost heavily.

But my main concern is that we rely solely on Watkins as a striker, due to having absolutely no quality back up.

Spurs are only 3 points behind us despite their ridiculous injury list and when they get the likes of Maddison back, they will push on.

They also have no Euro distraction.

I doubt Buendia coming back will have the same effect, and that's if he comes back this season at all.

I'd be delighted with 5th and it would show real progression. I cannot see us finishing any higher, but it's hard to see us finishing any lower either.

And if my auntie had bollocks she’d be my uncle 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I just think they have a bigger and better squad. The likes of Duran, Cash, Olsen and even Ramsey of late, are just not good enough for the level we are aiming for.

5th has a 77% chance of getting a CL place and I think we can get it.

This is spot on. Unless we really get some good signings in January spurs are favourites for fourth. Doesn't mean they are going to finish there but they are favourites. 

• Like 1