Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Just now, CVByrne said:

The more I analyse it the more screwed we are with the extra place.

Sliver of hope is that Italian teams all came 2nd in their group so hopefully draw City, Arsenal, Bayern and Madrid and go out.

We need a big performance tonight for the PL 4 wins and top of the groups 

Remain calm.

• Haha 2

If we want to avoid 4th place and finish higher we need to be hoping for liverpool draws/losses every week. Mo salah can miss 4 games if Egypt win/finish 2nd in the afcon and could be out of shape for a 5th.

They play arsenal, Chelsea, Bournemouth, Burnley and Brentford as those 5 games. Toney will be back for Brentford and, Arsenal, Chelsea and if Bournemouth continue this form could easily be stumbling blocks. If they drop 6-9 points in that period I think that's their title charge done. 

13 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Still a good chance of England getting the additional place according to a twitter page that reports on the coefficients 

If us, City and Liverpool make the finals in their respective comps I think it's pretty likely England get the 5th spot. We do need west ham and Brighton to get to the quarter finals though. 

31 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

If us, City and Liverpool make the finals in their respective comps I think it's pretty likely England get the 5th spot. We do need west ham and Brighton to get to the quarter finals though. 

Yeah I think Italian teams in CL will all be underdogs in their last 16 games. If we can get them all knocked out it'll be a big help. 

14 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Am I the only one delighted both Newcastle and Man Utd have been knocked out?

Our minimum ambition should be to finish fourth and this surely means no life raft for Newcastle and spurs and that will only help us next season.

Going with this metaphor, as I see it Man Utd and Newcastle have punctured the life raft and will be attempting to steal our ship along with Spurs. Hopefully we can fend them off 😅

HCsR.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am not falling into the hype, but don’t underestimate how good we actually are. We are very organised and drilled, we are also the one side in the league that has and is steadily climbing, our points per game avg has improved s the season progressed, we have the momentum.

We also have just integrated Tielemans in to the starting 11, he is like a new signing, and we also have Ramsey and Moreno in similar situations, ready to integrate and bolster us - that’s better than new January signings as they are already familiar with their role, their teammates and the tempo of the league.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

Am I the only one delighted both Newcastle and Man Utd have been knocked out?

Our minimum ambition should be to finish fourth and this surely means no life raft for Newcastle and spurs and that will only help us next season.

I’m delighted to revel in their failures, regardless of whether or it not might eventually affect us.

24 minutes ago, ender4 said:

And we are so close behind Germany that I think if Villa had won rather than drawn against Zrinski , then England would be in second place rather than third.

That is correct. And if both us and Liverpool had won we would be sharing the top position with Italy.

Forget about the what if stuff, the point is that it’s so close that even if ManU and Newcastle are out, England is far from out of the race for the extra Champions League spot.

Look at the teams England have left in Europe, all of them are capable of progressing deep into the knockout stages.

In Champions League, both ManC and Arsenal would be among the favourites to win it. Liverpool would be favourites to win Europe League, but Brighton and West Ham are good enough to progress into a semifinal. In other words it’s more likely that England get an extra CL place than not.

For the time being let’s hope Villa can increase the gap down to 5th place, that when European cups starts up again in March, we don’t have to concern us self with UEFA coefficient points and extra CL places.

• Like 2

So just lucking at the schedule then around those knockout ties.

Avoiding that play-off round means a full weeks rest from Man United to the Fulham to the Forest fixtures in February.

Things ramp up if Villa in particular progress in the FA Cup. You are looking at:
24-Feb - Forest (home)
28-Feb - FA Cup Fifth Round
02-Mar - Luton (away)
07-Mar - Conference League
10-Mar - Spurs (home)
14-Mar - Conference League
17-Mar - West Ham (away)

9 hours ago, Ceemo said:

So just lucking at the schedule then around those knockout ties.

Avoiding that play-off round means a full weeks rest from Man United to the Fulham to the Forest fixtures in February.

Things ramp up if Villa in particular progress in the FA Cup. You are looking at:
24-Feb - Forest (home)
28-Feb - FA Cup Fifth Round
02-Mar - Luton (away)
07-Mar - Conference League
10-Mar - Spurs (home)
14-Mar - Conference League
17-Mar - West Ham (away)

Nice. 7 wins on the bounce.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Hang on… I thought it was the end of the world the other day when Newcastle and Man U got eliminated? 

That was 2 days ago. 

We're not in a great position still. We need to hope on the remaining prem teams doing well. Would need the 3 CL Italian sides to get dumped out in next round 

Edited by CVByrne