Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

We really could do with a win against Arsenal.

City v Luton

Liverpool v Palace

United v Bournemouth.

A win against Arsenal and we can really start to dream. Spurs v Newcastle is the only match this weekend that has a good chance at doing us a favour (though Liverpool often struggle against Palace).

Back to back wins v City & Arsenal would be a huge statement

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

City v Luton

Liverpool v Palace

United v Bournemouth.

A win against Arsenal and we can really start to dream. Spurs v Newcastle is the only match this weekend that has a good chance at doing us a favour (though Liverpool often struggle against Palace).

If we best Arsenal I'm going streaking 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

City v Luton

Liverpool v Palace

United v Bournemouth.

Bournemouth are on a pretty good run of form at the moment so that's by no means a gimme for Man Utd

20 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

City v Luton

Liverpool v Palace

United v Bournemouth.

Relax. Even we if don't beat Arsenal and lose we're still on target for 2 points a game 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

To top things off. Brentford best player this season and star man is OUT of our game with them next week.

I dont like players getting injured, but I'm all for us being the ones to benefit if they're going to get one anyway.

Especially so considering Ramsey, Moreno, Buendia and Mings have been missing neaely all season, and would likely have been in our starting 11 most weeks if they hadn't been.

Now Ramsey and Moreno seem to be back, we're still 2 down on our starting 11 from last season, so I take all injuries to other teams as fair game. City missing De Bruyne and Doku to injury is probably a slightly harsher loss to them but their suspensions were their own doing. We beat them on a level playing field and comfortably so. 

Got to beat Arsenal for the title hopes, but a draw or even loss is still fine for champions league. I'd honestly be more upset about our 14 game winning streak coming to an end than the blow to our (still wildly optimistic) title hopes.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

To top things off. Brentford best player this season and star man is OUT of our game with them next week.

Yes he's an excellent outlet on the counter. Wissa has scored a couple I think v us in previous seasons but just him on his own upfront isn't too intimidating.

Brentford will still low block us and will be dangerous from set pieces so could see it being similar to last season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, picicata said:

Bournemouth are on a pretty good run of form at the moment so that's by no means a gimme for Man Utd

Just had look at form table last 6. 

15pts Arsenal

14pts Liverpool

13pts Villa Bournemouth Everton

12pts Manure 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

The Tottenham and Man City wins have given us such a platform for the next 5 league games through to new year.

Not wishing to tempt fate but we will very likely get 6 points from Sheff U and Burnley at home. Theyve won 3 games between them in there 30 so far. Therefore really only needing us to win one of Arsenal Brentford and Man U to keep up near to our 2ppg form. 

Our next 7 games then into early March are against teams with an average league placing of 14th. 4 of the bottom 5 in that run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just gotta say that I love pundits genuinely discussing whether or not we are title contenders this year. People are finally putting respect onto Aston Villa after that City win. Loving it atm!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, turvontour said:

It's crazy that we likely are going to be mathematically safe from relegation in January.

This really shouldn't be a talking point under Emery. It's loser talk. I thought we'd moved on from that

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, turvontour said:

The Tottenham and Man City wins have given us such a platform for the next 5 league games through to new year.

Not wishing to tempt fate but we will very likely get 6 points from Sheff U and Burnley at home. Theyve won 3 games between them in there 30 so far. Therefore really only needing us to win one of Arsenal Brentford and Man U to keep up near to our 2ppg form. 

Our next 7 games then into early March are against teams with an average league placing of 14th. 4 of the bottom 5 in that run.

When you see those fixtures Jan-Mar, it's conceivable if we beat Arsenal (or even draw) that we'll be at (or near) the top by the end of Dec and then the momentum might just carry us through the first quarter of next year and see us consolidate that position. Then we play City away first game in April but momentum might just carry us through at that point like it did for Leicester.

I'm daring to dream, but **** Saturday is massive.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

The opportunity is there for the taking. And for all the worries about fatigue, I'd argue we have a better squad of 16 than most of the rest of the contenders around the top 7. We're lacking cover in a couple of positions, but where we aren't lacking cover, the quality barely changes between first 11 and subs. Not even sure what our strongest 11 is to be honest. 

So if injuries are fair on us, and we don't underperform, things could look very promising indeed in a few months time. Beat or draw with Arsenal and that picture could look phenomenal!

This is also down to contrasting styles of play.

We avoid injuries from breakdown as we generally play with low intensity, compared to Newcastle or Spurs. Liverpool are the same.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

When you see those fixtures Jan-Mar, it's conceivable if we beat Arsenal (or even draw) that we'll be at (or near) the top by the end of Dec and then the momentum might just carry us through the first quarter of next year and see us consolidate that position. Then we play City away first game in April but momentum might just carry us through at that point like it did for Leicester.

I'm daring to dream, but **** Saturday is massive.

We should dream, we've been through so much shite the past 25 years, let's enjoy the ride and believe what seemed impossible is actually possible 🙌

The longer we have this thread open the more likely we are to finish top four as well which is ultimately the realistic aim. 

• Like 2