Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

52 minutes ago, Adman said:

We seem to be running short of steam, I hope we are holding back rather than being dead on our feet.  I guess we'll find out on Wednesday 

How? Bournemouth are a good side at home that beat Newcastle  comfortably recently with 10 shots on target. 

City have to come to VP on the back of 3 league draws in a row without Rodri. They've lost both league games this season last time he was suspended

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

How? Bournemouth are a good side at home that beat Newcastle  comfortably recently with 10 shots on target. 

City have to come to VP on the back of 3 league draws in a row without Rodri. They've lost both league games this season last time he was suspended

I don't think we are controlling games as we have previously.  Maybe we are mentally or physically fatigued, perhaps we are holding back knowing what a tough run of games we've got.  Perhaps we are not able to control games and making errors like we have been due to other considerations...

Its not a bad time to play City agreed, and I'm not bellyaching, I'm in full support of the team and manager.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

They aren't a good side though.

I said before the game the only way we'd lose is if our players don't turn up.

And that's exactly what happened. Never seen McGinn this bad. And Digne, Zaniolo was beyond awful. Can't carry that many players.

Well we didn't lose in the end but a draw is almost as bad as a loss when you're chasing top 4

Edited by Pinebro

11 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

And that's exactly what happened. Never seen McGinn this bad. And Digne, Zaniolo was beyond awful. Can't carry that many players.

Well we didn't lose in the end but a draw is almost as bad as a loss when you're chasing top 4

How did they have 10 shots on target and win 2-0 against Newcastle recently if not a good side? We're 4th only 4pts off the top because the league lot closer across the board than people make out. We just played in Europe and Emery made some selection decisions probably based on the next 2 games

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

A draw is as bad a loss 😅

We're currently 4th, also 5 points clear of 7th

We played 3 days ago.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

You know top 4 teams don't win every game right? Our reigning 3 time champions just drew 3 games in a row. I'd bet my house on them winning it again. We're currently still averaging over 2ppg which is still way more than the average needed for 4th place. If 4th is our goal (no serious person would have said this before the season started), then we are well on track.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

You know top 4 teams don't win every game right? Our reigning 3 time champions just drew 3 games in a row. I'd bet my house on them winning it again. We're currently still averaging over 2ppg which is still way more than the average needed for 4th place. If 4th is our goal (no serious person would have said this before the season started), then we are well on track.

Issue is we have Arsenal and City coming up.

Bournemouth game was important to win to give us some leeway.

Edited by Pinebro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The next two games for me (from a psychological standpoint) are the biggest games of the season. Don Unai is a CL manager. 

It's time for the players to stand up and show they’re at the level Don Unai needs them to be at. They’re easily replaceable and Don Unai will get in players who can achieve it. 

But we have to stay undefeated in the next two games whilst giving both teams a bloody nose. 

31 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If we can 2 or 3 points from next two games it'll be big. Away to Brentford after is tough too

This is the thing if we're making heavy weather of the bottom feeders away like forest and Bournemouth then playing the higher mid table teams I'm a bit concerned about.

Our defensive stats have got worse but our attacking stats are way higher. We need to stop conceding so early though, being on the back foot so quickly in is a massive disadvantage 

50 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Realistically, I think we need to keep tabs on how far clear of 6th we are.

I'm watching that too - I think it'll be our focus for the rest of the season - as much as I'd like us to win the title our away form will prevent that. Champions League is just about doable though.

Not beating Bournemouth is frustrating for sure.

A valiant point v City and we'll still have less points than if we'd just beaten Bournemouth.

Squad still isn't there unfortunately.

Emery is trying to rest players here and there and replacements are showing they aren't fit for first team football.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

A valiant point v City and we'll still have less points than if we'd just beaten Bournemouth.

Emery is trying to rest players here and there and replacements are showing they aren't fit for first team football.

Our bench was very decent yesterday

I think the squad is there. I felt Emery picked the wrong team yesterday.

18 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

We have 4pts from Spurs and Bournemouth away

8 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Our bench was very decent yesterday

I think the squad is there. I felt Emery picked the wrong team yesterday.

Who would you have picked?

The players who have started most games? The bench wouldn't look as good then would it.