Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

As great as it would be, i don't think our squad is ready for Champions League & Premier League football ..

We are just about getting results at Europa Conference level.

But it wouldn't be this squad would it. 

In the same way that this time last year we didnt have Diaby, Pau Torres, Moreno, Zaniolo, Duran, Tielemans, Langlet etc. 

This time next year we will likely have another 5 or 6 players worth a combined value of £200 mil. And we would likely have kept all our main players, if indeed we had qualified for champions league. 

• Like 2

Its amazing how so many on here were battering Emery and this side after the 3-0 loss against liverpool, many had us to be way below what we expected in addition to we didn’t have the best window and should have signed more moans… now look at us 😆.. i think we were two signings away from being legit finishing in the top 3 BUT if its rumoured to be true that 5th place will secure champions league then we must certainly be aiming for that and that for me is achievable bar injuries to key players. 

• Like 1

Regarding 5th place getting Champions league...we won't know until the latter stages of this year's European competitions.

If we still have clubs in the semi final of the europa and champs league (and even us in the conference league) then its likely we'll get an extra spot and 5th place will get it.  If they've all been knocked out by then, the spot will go to some other country (probably Spain and Italy).

33 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Regarding 5th place getting Champions league...we won't know until the latter stages of this year's European competitions.

If we still have clubs in the semi final of the europa and champs league (and even us in the conference league) then its likely we'll get an extra spot and 5th place will get it.  If they've all been knocked out by then, the spot will go to some other country (probably Spain and Italy).

So we have to cheer on the rest in Europe yuck 🤮 

Still now Man City have won it I guess it's not as bad as before.

3 minutes ago, S-Platt said:

So we have to cheer on the rest in Europe yuck 🤮 

Still now Man City have won it I guess it's not as bad as before.

Quite. I think ideally we'd have man city losing finalists, us winning the conference league, and two of our teams getting knocked out in the semis of europa. That should get us the coefficient points we need to get the extra place. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RicRic said:

Come January we will have no choice but to strengthen and will sign two to three players if necessary to push us right till the end with better quality.

We have a nice team spirt now and everyone is playing a part, could the danger of signing 2/3 more players which will increase competition be a negative to that team spirit and togetherness? 

23 hours ago, RicRic said:

Come January we will have no choice but to strengthen and will sign two to three players if necessary to push us right till the end with better quality.

Last January taught us Emery won't sign a player for the sake of signing somebody. It will only be the right player (who will no doubt be a key player for another club) and these deals can be tough/expensive to do in January. 

11 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

We have a nice team spirt now and everyone is playing a part, could the danger of signing 2/3 more players which will increase competition be a negative to that team spirit and togetherness? 

We shouldn’t be scared to improve our squad its needed to push on and we are only a couple of injuries short to being a average team

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RicRic said:

We shouldn’t be scared to improve our squad its needed to push on and we are only a couple of injuries short to being a average team

Where do we find better players than Diaby and Watkins? And to what price?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Where do we find better players than Diaby and Watkins? And to what price?

We obviously don’t replace them as they are our best attackers right now but buy players of a similar quality in other positions - I.e. a left sided attacker (although if Ramsey comes back before December/January maybe not needed), a number 10 also (a similar type of player to Maddison), a right back. 

Of course this might mean players like Cash, McGinn, Zaniolo aren’t guaranteed to start but that’s how we improve. Then we can move on current bench players like Traore, Dendoncker, Chambers etc. 

7 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

We obviously don’t replace them as they are our best attackers right now but buy players of a similar quality in other positions - I.e. a left sided attacker (although if Ramsey comes back before December/January maybe not needed), a number 10 also (a similar type of player to Maddison), a right back. 

Of course this might mean players like Cash, McGinn, Zaniolo aren’t guaranteed to start but that’s how we improve. Then we can move on current bench players like Traore, Dendoncker, Chambers etc. 

I don't see a striker of the same level of quality as Watkins unless you're speaking in the 70 M+ price range

10 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I don't see a striker of the same level of quality as Watkins unless you're speaking in the 70 M+ price range

And they wont come to be bit part if they are 70m.  We need to improve on players like dendonker, chambers, Olsen.  So players we are bringing on are nearly as good as what they are replacing 

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

And they wont come to be bit part if they are 70m.  We need to improve on players like dendonker, chambers, Olsen.  So players we are bringing on are nearly as good as what they are replacing 

You don't pay 70 M for fringe players

Reality is if we pay what is needed to find someone better than Watkins then he won't stay here for long.

Having players of equal level in every position is a fan fantasy. Not even Man City have it.

Edited by Pinebro

37 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I didn’t say striker I said left sided attacker or no 10. I don’t actually think we need another striker unless something was to happen to Watkins. Duran is fine as cover when we play with only one out and out striker.

I don’t know what the budget is in January but let’s say we are prepared to spend £80m to sustain our Champions League push. I’d be going all out for a right back and creative attacking midfielder, those are the areas I think we can improve the team/squad in the short term. Reasons: right back because Cash is our only right back and I’d like someone a bit more technically gifted on that side as a different option, and attacking midfield because I feel we don’t have an actual creative midfielder in our team after Buendia’s injury and Coutinho not working out. McGinn is great but he’s a hustler not a creative midfielder and doesn’t score/assist enough for someone in his position.