Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

I think spurs will start to suffer once key players get injured/ go out of form. Maddison is playing like a man possessed atm which I doubt he will sustain. And one injury to son and they’re left relying solely on richarlison for goals 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villan95 said:

If we keep doing 2 points per game we will finish top 4, doesn't matter what anyone else does.

I think getting to 70 points is actually a realistic target. So many poor teams in bottom half this season and we've shown for nearly a year we're very good beating them under UE. Only Leicester at home and Wolves away in last 10 months are the worst results we've had under Emery when you take into account league position.

Be interested the last team that finished on 70 points and didn't make 4th.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think getting to 70 points is actually a realistic target. So many poor teams in bottom half this season and we've shown for nearly a year we're very good beating them under UE. Only Leicester at home and Wolves away in last 10 months are the worst results we've had under Emery when you take into account league position.

Be interested the last team that finished on 70 points and didn't make 4th.

I think there has been a couple, Spurs in 2013 spring to mind

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I think there has been a couple, Spurs in 2013 spring to mind

We've been following Newcastle's trajectory for the last year. They finished on 71 points last season, 68 would've been enough in the end.

However all three promoted teams are considerably worse than the three who came up last year so have to factor that in. Burnley going 1 up v Chelsea and then shipping four at home, Forest or Fulham would've got at least a draw from that type of game last season.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

We've been following Newcastle's trajectory for the last year. They finished on 71 points last season, 68 would've been enough in the end.

However all three promoted teams are considerably worse than the three who came up last year so have to factor that in. Burnley going 1 up v Chelsea and then shipping four at home, Forest or Fulham would've got at least a draw from that type of game last season.

And you lost Leicester and Leeds who weren't great but had enough talent to beat pretty much anyone in the league. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I'm not worried about United or Chelsea, the former especially. These wins are papering over cracks, they are crap. We need to worry about Brighton and Newcastle. Finish above one of them and we get 5th imo.

Yep.

The only three teams we have no chance of finishing above this season are Man. City, Liverpool and Arsenal.

Maybe a small chance of Arsenal but they haven't played any of the promoted teams yet and have only dropped 4 points so they'll probably hit over 80 points or thereabouts.

Everyone else is fair game imo. For example I'd rather West Ham beat Newcastle today as over the next six months Newcastle will be the bigger threat in terms of consistently winning games. And Liverpool to win at Brighton so suddenly they've lost two in a row with Man. City away next for them after the break.

Chelsea needed those two wins as they have a very tough schedule so they'll be dropping plenty of points. Man. United have endless flaws across the team so they can lose to pretty much any top 10 side home or away this year.

• Like 1

Worth bearing in mind that in the most recent seasons where we've made a serious push for the Top 4 (08/09 and 09/10), we were on 14 and 16 points respectively. I think to be where we are heading into the international break with the injuries we've had and the imbalance of home/away fixtures is pretty damn good tbh.

• Like 1

Average point.

Both draws in the other games which I'll take though.

We took 10 points from this quartet of games.

IF we can beat West Ham no reason why we can't get the same haul in the next four and then we would be in a very strong position going into December chaos.

Wolves is a tricky team to play. I can see likes of Spurs and Man. United dropping points to them when they go to Molinuex. 

• Like 1

Right in the mix with Spurs, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Brighton and Newcastle. 

Nice to be 5th going into the international break. Big chance to go into the top 4 in the next two gameweeks. And a big chance to stay in there with Fulham and Forest after that 

I think we've had a remarkable start. 16 points sitting 5th after 8 games where we have played 5 of those 8 games away from home and had injuries to a number of key players is some going. 

We've put a nice foundation down and hopefully we can now build on it after the international break and given the run of fixtures we have coming up I certainly fancy us to do just that. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Right in the mix with Spurs, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool, Brighton and Newcastle. 

Nice to be 5th going into the international break. Big chance to go into the top 4 in the next two gameweeks. And a big chance to stay in there with Fulham and Forest after that 

Forest will be a similar game to today imo. Will be niggly game and they have really good pace on the break.

Three home games  is a big chance for us. Luton really should be a regulation three points and Fulham aren't scoring much this year so will be tight but you'd fancy us to edge that.

West Ham though...that's basically a nightmare matchup for us. Can't say I fancy Pau v Antonio and Bowen when they break quickly on us.

• Like 1