Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

Saying we would be in a shout for top 4 based solely on last season was always pre mature.

Last season we overachieved based on our xG, it was never sustainable to keep getting the rub of the green over a whole season.

Not taking into account what other teams may do and improve. Not taking into account how lucky we were with injuries last season.

Last season was also unique where the traditional big 6 clubs fell of a rock. Spurs and Liverpool now seem to be back at the level where they were a few seasons ago. Chelsea look lost but we'll see how they will develop.

13 hours ago, villan95 said:

Maybe we need to accept that it's going to take a bit of time until we can properly challenge some of these teams 😕 Our CB partnership is basically new to the league, Diaby has looked bright but still new to the league, Duran is raw. Generally we seem to have quite a young team too.

All very valid points, we also need to lose the Unai can do no wrong attitude some of us myself included have held.

Both of our big and strong centre backs with leader qualities are out injuried. We're missing our main creator.

This crap is unpresidented and is not Emery's fault.

We're dealing with absolute bullshit and we need to take all this into account if we don't improve our league form from last season.

Edited by Pinebro

31 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Let’s just wait a few more games before we write off our season eh?

It isn't a write off.

League position might suffer because of an absurd amount of injuries on key players but we still have a great chance to win our first trophy since the 90's

I was p*ssed off yesterday and probably overreacted as I hate it when we lose and especially when we lose badly, but we've had a tough start to the season, maybe only Newcastle have had tougher games. 

We have a decent run of fixtures until late November, many of them at home, I don't think it's beyond us to go unbeaten in those games:

Palace (home) - W (decent side, certainly better than Everton, but a game we should be winning, need to keep Eze quiet and Olise if he's back)

Chelsea (away) - D (they look pretty poor despite all the money spent, actually think we could win this, but certainly shouldn't be losing, they will have more of the ball but are ineffective in front of goal so we could easily nick this but a draw is ok)

Brighton (home) - W (Brighton are a good side but we match up well to them and seem to be a bogey side, plus we are at home)

Wolves (away) - W (we never seem to beat these but it is about time, they are shite and we have to be winning these games)

West Ham (home) - D (we should really be winning this but West Ham look better than last season and are a bogey side, hence draw, but I'd hope for a win)

Luton (home) - W (hopefully a game where we hand out a spanking to someone)

Forest (away) - D (a game we probably should be winning but Forest look better this season, again though we should be targeting a win)

Fulham (home) - W (think they will struggle this season and again should be targeting a comfortable home win)

Don't think that's unrealistic at all and we'd be full of confidence before some tough fixtures against Spurs, City and Arsenal in December. Would put us on 24 points from 12 games which is in and around top 4. 

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Rodders said:

It's all about the cups. We aren't making inroads in the league until we've upgraded the team further.

Emery has said himself league is still just as important as cups. We have a good run now until late November so we need to be in and around the top 6 in the lead up to Christmas and I think we will be. 

Thia is the difference for me when you look at liverpool. They have so many fantastic attack options and they utilise them.

We have diaby bailey traore coutinho (who is always **** injured along with traore) and zaniolo

Then up top we only have duran and watkins.

Last season we only had 9 points after 10 games.

If we keep being flat track bullies we'll get there point wise.

Of course I'd like to see some unexpected results too...

Edited by Pinebro

We have an extremely good run of fixtures coming up.

I don't believe we'll be in the mix for CL this season (but I don't particularly see that as a negative), but that run of fixtures will give us a good indication of where we really are

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

We have a decent run of fixtures until late November, many of them at home, I don't think it's beyond us to go unbeaten in those games:

Palace (home) - W 

Chelsea (away) - D 

Brighton (home) - W 

Wolves (away) - W

West Ham (home) - D 

Luton (home) - W 

Forest (away) - D 

Fulham (home) - W

Don't think that's unrealistic at all and we'd be full of confidence before some tough fixtures against Spurs, City and Arsenal in December. Would put us on 24 points from 12 games which is in and around top 4. 

That feels completely possible with the Brighton match being the only one where i'm not that confident of your prediction.  As you say that would put us on the 2.0 PPG which is top 5 form. 

I'd go with:

Palace - W

Chelsea - D

Brighton - L

Wolves - W

West Ham - W

Luton - W

Forest - W

Fulham - D

Which i think gives a similar point tally to you and still on for top 5.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Thia is the difference for me when you look at liverpool. They have so many fantastic attack options and they utilise them.

We have diaby bailey traore coutinho (who is always **** injured along with traore) and zaniolo

Then up top we only have duran and watkins.

this is a horrifying reality 

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If you look at budget then no we shouldn't be looking at top 4. If the squad settles in and we can go on a run than last year then it is a distant possibility, but more likely we will be competing for the europa/comference spots. That is not to be sniffed out given when we have come from.

Not top 4 but as CL will probably be 5th place as well, we need to be aiming around the 5-6th position and with a bit of luck scrape into 5th. 

If we assume Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool are locked for top 3.   We then need to finish above 3 of these 4 teams - Man Utd, Newcastle, Chelsea & Spurs. 

I think Spurs will drop off slightly, Chelsea will take time to compete at the highest level, Man Utd will probably take 4th place. 

So then it's Villa or Newcastle for 5th place. 

Don't get me wrong, it's a massive task to even be competing with all these teams, but there is a chance.

EDIT - forgot Brighton.  They look seriously strong and we need to overtake them as well.

Edited by ender4

Progress isn't always linear, it's unlikely we would have just kept going like we did last season's run. There will be ups and downs and some heavy defeats which hopefully we've gotten out of the way already.

Unai has shown that this team has a style and identity that so far has been successful, it's still very much a work in progress and once we have JJ and Moreno back our starting 11 will be stronger again.

Not many sides could deal with the injuries we've had to key players without some re-adjustment.

Top 8 and Conference league win this season should be the aim and build again, with hopefully some strong domestic cup runs.

That would be progress once again.