Europa Conference League 23/24

HalfTimePost

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I was kind of hoping we would be the first English winners

Cheer up pal.

We'll target much more than conference.

We'll win Europa league within the next 2-3 years and then we'll head into CL football.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Cheer up pal.

We'll target much more than conference.

We'll win Europa league within the next 2-3 years and then we'll head into CL football.

We're going for top four next season. McGinn said so today. Europa and Conference are the buffers.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Think it's probably a good thing for us that West Ham won tonight, players could well start looking at us as a decent chance at winning a European tournament. Can't wait!

I don't really get this logic...someone has to win the thing :D

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I don't really get this logic...someone has to win the thing :D

And this year an English team who were in a relegation battle most the season won it. So you'd think potential signings will look at us, an English club managed by a guy with several European trophies to his name, and will see us as strong contenders/potential favourites to win a European trophy. Should provide a boost to our recruitment this year that we wouldn't have had if we finished 8th.

Of course, that's until we lose to some Albanian team in the qualifiers

25 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Of course, that's until we lose to some Albanian team in the qualifiers

Or Rapid Vienna part 3.  I almost want us to be unseeded just to avoid them!

I would love for us to give this competition a real good go next season, I don't want us to play a really weakened team with wholesale changes at any point in this competition next year. 1 or 2 younger players like Archer or Tim if they are not on loan somewhere then yes, but alongside our stronger 1st team players as a supplement.

You can see from the players and fans at WHU how much it means to win this trophy. I want to experience that as well. We haven't won a trophy for so long, and I don't expect this trophy to be a gimme, but we stand as good a chance as any in this competition next season. Winning trophies becomes a habit, and we need to start somewhere. It has been too long!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I would love for us to give this competition a real good go next season, I don't want us to play a really weakened team with wholesale changes at any point in this competition next year. 1 or 2 younger players like Archer or Tim if they are not on loan somewhere then yes, but alongside our stronger 1st team players as a supplement.

You can see from the players and fans at WHU how much it means to win this trophy. I want to experience that as well. We haven't won a trophy for so long, and I don't expect this trophy to be a gimme, but we stand as good a chance as any in this competition next season. Winning trophies becomes a habit, and we need to start somewhere. It has been too long!

I don't think there's any chance of us not taking the competition seriously. 

We might have to rotate our squad more, which will hopefully see Digne, and a few others of similar quality coming in to the starting line up but not materially weakening us. Obviously, we might choose to do that in the premier league games or the Conference league games depending on the opposition. Either way, but will be given the proper treatment by Emery 

I feel we need to have a core of at least 15 outfield players that are all of similar quality for it to work without form suffering in the league. Currently I think we have quite a drop off after around 12 outfield players, much like West Ham this season.

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I don't think there's any chance of us not taking the competition seriously. 

We might have to rotate our squad more, which will hopefully see Digne, and a few others of similar quality coming in to the starting line up but not materially weakening us. Obviously, we might choose to do that in the premier league games or the Conference league games depending on the opposition. Either way, but will be given the proper treatment by Emery 

I feel we need to have a core of at least 15 outfield players that are all of similar quality for it to work without form suffering in the league. Currently I think we have quite a drop off after around 12 outfield players, much like West Ham this season.

I think that's we are being linked with players like Lo Celso and Tielemans, they don't massively improve the starting XI but are rather another option of similar quality.

15 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I agree, the MON thing really wound me up. It was the beginning of the end for him. In fairness, Unai lives for european competition, so I am 100% certain this mistake won't be repeated. To do it though, we need a stronger (deeper) squad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Does 5th make CL next season then as Uefa going to give two extra places to leagues that perform best and I presume this season's european performances will be taken into account?

Extra two spots for 24-25 CL as it's being expanded to 36 teams. So the best two performing nations in the coefficient will get two extra spots, England would have received an extra spot in the last 6 seasons if it had applied.  the better English teams do next season means more chance of getting that 5th spot.

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No need to fear Rapid Wien. Emery is the jinx buster. We owe them. 

There really isn't. None of their players would get near the PL. They lost their last game to Austria Klagenfurt.

Their GA in the league suggests that they let in a load of goals. 

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Does 5th make CL next season then as Uefa going to give two extra places to leagues that perform best and I presume this season's european performances will be taken into account?

Depends upon next season's performances in Europe. No idea how it's calculated, but the knock-on effect from West Ham winning the ECL is now having an extra team in Europe next season will presumably only be a positive for that coefficient/whatever.

Edited by fightoffyour

Just now, HKP90 said:

There really isn't. None of their players would get near the PL. They lost their last game to Austria Klagenfurt.

Their GA in the league suggests that they let in a load of goals. 

That's what we thought the last two times that we drew them and we all know what happened. We have UE now, but we can't take any games for granted before we play them. We will start as favourites against most teams, but favourites don't always win. As Juventus will find if they play us;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Depends upon next season's performances in Europe. No idea how it's calculated, but the knock-on effect from West Ham winning the ECL is now having an extra team in Europe next season will presumably only be a positive for that coefficient/whatever.

It won't hurt having 8 teams in Europe, the better they do the more likely England will top the coefficient for 23-24

Country coefficients | UEFA Coefficients | UEFA.com