Marco Asensio

wishywashy

The reactions are interesting, for us we mostly all think he’d be a good signing for us and are/were excited for this to happen. On the other hand I’ve seen a fair few PSG fans slating their club for the signing, they’ve compared him to Pablo Sarabia and were hoping we signed him to hide their incompetence lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Pretty sure this is the case.

Our season has literally just ended and theirs isn't even finished yet.

Window ain't even open either.

That’s the issue…some fans are saying move on yet the Spanish haven’t finished their season, our transfer window isn’t open and it’s only June 1st FFS…

Just now, Rustibrooks said:

The reactions are interesting, for us we mostly all think he’d be a good signing for us and are/were excited for this to happen. On the other hand I’ve seen a fair few PSG fans slating their club for the signing, they’ve compared him to Pablo Sarabia and were hoping we signed him to hide their incompetence lol.

Yeah but psg are used to players the likes of Mbappe, Messi and Neymar so you can understand their views on lesser players.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

That’s the issue…some fans are saying move on yet the Spanish haven’t finished their season, our transfer window isn’t open and it’s only June 1st FFS…

Reasoned debate and posting dilutes each year on here IMO… Too many opinions posted a fact too much moaning and negativity. Asensio is out or reach but then turn your noses up at Barnes - where’s the hope and middle ground … just enjoy and trust the process and what will be will be 

Edited by thabucks

PSG can offer Champions League football (exciting if you're in the first eleven), AND regular trips to play smallish clubs in places as exciting as Angers, Troyes, Auxerre (it's a bit like Redditch) Brest, Clermont, Reims, Montpelier, and scenic away days to Ajaccio and Monaco where Asensio can thrill to the atmosphere of between 4 and 7 thousand fans rocking the stadia (two thirds of the league are smallish clubs with low attendances). Crowds at most games outside of the top 5 or 6 clubs are historically only ever three quarters of each clubs capacity on average, so the atmosphere can leave a lot to be desired. (but hey-ho, Paris is exciting initially and the money's good)

Ligue one is a very pale comparison to the Premier League.

Asensio is only going to be a good signing for Villa if his mind is totally focussed on playing quality football and it is his number one priority. If his choice of clubs comes down to restaurants and cafe culture and being seen by fellow posers, then PSG might suit him (Paris is a great TOURIST city but having been there a handful of times I'm in no hurry to go back). If testing himself against great clubs with exciting names and histories on an almost weekly basis, and demonstrating his skills in front of packed grounds full of passionate fans (even Luton will pack out their ground with 10,000 vociferous supporters) then the Premier League is the only place to be.

Does Marco want to play for a world class manager who values him highly and will play him, or take a chance on a currently manager less club appointing a new "name" (Mourinho is bookies favourite) who may not fancy him and may return him to a "squad player" situation?

I think we all agree that from now on we must only sign totally focussed and committed, mentally strong, passionate players. Asensio's decision will tell us whether he's the right fit for Aston Villa or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villabromsgrove said:

PSG can offer Champions League football (exciting if you're in the first eleven), AND regular trips to play smallish clubs in places as exciting as Angers, Troyes, Auxerre (it's a bit like Redditch) Brest, Clermont, Reims, Montpelier, and scenic away days to Ajaccio and Monaco where Asensio can thrill to the atmosphere of between 4 and 7 thousand fans rocking the stadia (two thirds of the league are smallish clubs with low attendances). Crowds at most games outside of the top 5 or 6 clubs are historically only ever three quarters of each clubs capacity on average, so the atmosphere can leave a lot to be desired. (but hey-ho, Paris is exciting initially and the money's good)

Ligue one is a very pale comparison to the Premier League.

Asensio is only going to be a good signing for Villa if his mind is totally focussed on playing quality football and it is his number one priority. If his choice of clubs comes down to restaurants and cafe culture and being seen by fellow posers, then PSG might suit him (Paris is a great TOURIST city but having been there a handful of times I'm in no hurry to go back). If testing himself against great clubs with exciting names and histories on an almost weekly basis, and demonstrating his skills in front of packed grounds full of passionate fans (even Luton will pack out their ground with 10,000 vociferous supporters) then the Premier League is the only place to be.

Does Marco want to play for a world class manager who values him highly and will play him, or take a chance on a currently manager less club appointing a new "name" (Mourinho is bookies favourite) who may not fancy him and may return him to a "squad player" situation?

I think we all agree that from now on we must only sign totally focussed and committed, mentally strong, passionate players. Asensio's decision will tell us whether he's the right fit for Aston Villa or not.

This is spot on.

If he doesn't have the balls to come and play for us and scrap it out in the toughest league in the world, I don't want him.

Let him frolic and roll around with Neymar on Parisian grass if that's what he'd prefer, Unai will find an alternative.

Getting ready for the 'why are always used by agents to get a better deal/move etc, etc, blah, blah' 🙄....

We tried to sign a top calibre player who is probably out of our reach at present...he chose to go elsewhere. That's it....no agendas by anyone...move on.

The fact we are even in the coversation for these level of players is, for me, the biggest indicator of how much we have progressed as a club.

Bring it on 🙂 and enjoy the Summer ride.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MSvillain said:

Did you get any further info yesterday? 

Only info as posted yesterday was that PSG were pushing hard and that we felt we had " done enough " to get it done.

At the end of the day, only so much we can do.

If it doesn't happen we move on, good to see the level/quality of intent.

Annoying thing is that, under normal circumstances, for a player like him you probably have to pay big money in transfer ffs.

If it's true that PSG Chairman is directly involved and laying on the charm offensive then yeah it's difficult to beat.

PSG deals usually come with a load of other side benefits like commercial deals in Qatar for the players etc etc and all the other obvious " Gifts "

I wonder if Nassef has been involved with this?

1 minute ago, eholm said:

Getting ready for the 'why are always used by agents to get a better deal/move etc, etc, blah, blah' 🙄....

We tried to sign a top calibre player who is probably out of our reach at present...he chose to go elsewhere. That's it....no agendas by anyone...move on.

The fact we are even in the coversation for these level of players is, for me, the biggest indicator of how much we have progressed as a club.

Bring it on 🙂 and enjoy the Summer ride.

Mendes and Nassef have a good relationship by all accounts, which makes these posters look even more silly

• Like 1

Just now, jacketspuds said:

If he joins, great.

If not, that’s also fine. We only want players that put the “project” over everything else.

Yep. Romano has tweeted the exact same thing in 6 hours. Nothing has changed. Negotiations are ongoing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Only info as posted yesterday was that PSG were pushing hard and that we felt we had " done enough " to get it done.

At the end of the day, only so much we can do.

If it doesn't happen we move on, good to see the level/quality of intent.

Annoying thing is that, under normal circumstances, for a player like him you probably have to pay big money in transfer ffs.

If it's true that PSG Chairman is directly involved and laying on the charm offensive then yeah it's difficult to beat.

PSG deals usually come with a load of other side benefits like commercial deals in Qatar for the players etc etc and all the other obvious " Gifts "

I wonder if Nassef has been involved with this?

Yeah no worries, appreciate you sharing the info 

12 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

This sums it up, and I hope this is in his thinking, or that of his advisors.

He'd be one of the big boys here.

PSG fans are pricks.

• Like 1

the fact that our inquiry went so public immediately gave off the impression that his agent is trying to get him a move to someone else. we do things privately. call me a pessimist, but i never had confidence in this one going through.

hopefully other irons in the fire...nice to see we're being ambitious with our targets though

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

the fact that our inquiry went so public immediately gave off the impression that his agent is trying to get him a move to someone else. we do things privately. call me a pessimist, but i never had confidence in this one going through.

hopefully other irons in the fire...nice to see we're being ambitious with our targets though

We do things privately when dealing with clubs in England, stuff abroad almost always leaks beforehand because of the foreign press

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Its going to be tough for us to bring in players like this. I'm just glad we're going for it. 

We will be in for big names this summer regardless. That’s what’s important, Asensio or otherwise. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I think it’s also a facet of how toxic the Spanish media is when it comes to Barca and Madrid. Any sniff they will leak stuff. We can’t control that. 

Â