Ahead of your time

KentVillan

33 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Have you ever had a view or interest that was seen as a bit odd by most people at the time, but later was widely accepted as correct / the norm?

I remember talking on here a few years ago about Artificial Intelligence and what a threat it could be to most jobs. Consensus was pretty much that new, different jobs would be created in their place. 

BT have just announced they're going to lose 25% of their workforce, many to AI. 

I continue to worry about where this will lead mankind and nothings made me feel any less uneasy about it. 

Edited by sidcow

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I remember talking on here a few years ago about Artificial Intelligence and what a threat it could be to most jobs. Consensus was pretty much that new, different jobs would be created in their place. 

BT have just announced they're going to lose 25% of their workforce, many to AI. 

I continue to worry about where this will lead mankind and nothings made me feel any less uneasy about it. 

BT CEO has *blamed* sacking 25% of their workforce on AI with little evidence the job cuts have anything to do with AI. Bit early to claim vindication on this one.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Beatles - I will be right ... by 2030something ;) 

In fairness, as much as I do like the Beatles, the more the generation of journalists who grew up with them dies out or at least stops being so influential, the less significant the Beatles seem. So much contemporary music owes almost nothing to the Beatles.

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Have you ever had a view or interest that was seen as a bit odd by most people at the time, but later was widely accepted as correct / the norm?

Trump. Knew he'd win in '15 before he got the GOP nomination - having lived in Ohio & Florida previously it seemed obvious to me (unfortunately.) Everyone treated him like a joke and my in laws were particularly incredulous that he could never win.

There's a couple of 2 tech things that weren't necessarily seen as odd but I feel as though I had an idea things were going that way before they really got developed.

I still believe the biggest thing with tech is interface, which is why glasses as wearables will ultimately dominate. 30 years ago SLR camera's could "read" where you eye was looking and take action from it. I believe eventually we will have an ocular device that allows us to select options by "looking" and the UI will be overlayed onto the real world. 

• Like 1

I disliked Jared Leto way before it became fashionable to do so. For no legitimate reason whatsoever.

But now it is seemingly so widely the case to have that opinion, I find myself being somewhat sympathetic towards him. To the point where I’m of a “Alright, ease off now guys” stance. Ever the contrarian that I am.

So if there is a shift in public opinion on Leto and people are like “Ah, there are more deserving targets for our ire”, you read it here first.

I thought years ago about an App where you could order and pay for drinks at a Bar without needing to go queue up. When I researched it I found it did exist but wasn't widely available (weirdly West Brom FC was the only place in The Midlands that had it) 

About a year later Spoons brought out theirs and obviously in part lockdown they grew more. 

My idea was better though with remembered rounds and bill splitter. 

I also had the idea for a cassette shaped MP3 player you could play inside a cassette player. To my delight one definitely did exist and I purchased one which sat in my car for a couple of years before I finally got one with a CD player. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

I thought years ago about an App where you could order and pay for drinks at a Bar without needing to go queue up. When I researched it I found it did exist but wasn't widely available (weirdly West Brom FC was the only place in The Midlands that had it) 

About a year later Spoons brought out theirs and obviously in part lockdown they grew more. 

My idea was better though with remembered rounds and bill splitter. 

I also had the idea for a cassette shaped MP3 player you could play inside a cassette player. To my delight one definitely did exist and I purchased one which sat in my car for a couple of years before I finally got one with a CD player. 

I too had a similar idea born of of frustration that if there are 6 of you in a round and you've had 5 pints how come I'm now getting a second round in .. 

so mine was an app where you enter all the names of the people on the crawl with you and what they are drinking  .. then come the next round , you'd spin a roulette type wheel  and it would determine whose round it was (and then remove you from the next spin until all had got one )  , you'd then ping the order to bar and save that queuing up and shit (in my case trying to remember the 6 drink order !) 

would have included a section for the taxi journey home where people suddenly don't have any money on them and promise to pay you back their share next time you see them  ... and funnily enough never remember .. the app could ping out a not so subtle reminder to everyone on Sunday morning , that the cab cost £40 and your share is £x

in the end it was easier to stop going our with Jon on our nights out  than it was to spend thousands developing an app :) 

but I love App service , so much more refined than having to stand 10 deep at a bar whilst other obnoxious clearings in the woods try and elbow their way in front of you 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I too had a similar idea born of of frustration that if there are 6 of you in a round and you've had 5 pints how come I'm now getting a second round in .. 

so mine was an app where you enter all the names of the people on the crawl with you and what they are drinking  .. then come the next round , you'd spin a roulette type wheel  and it would determine whose round it was (and then remove you from the next spin until all had got one )  , you'd then ping the order to bar and save that queuing up and shit (in my case trying to reminder the 6 drink order !) 

would have included a section for the taxi journey home where people suddenly don't have any money on them and promise to pay you back their share next time you see them  ... and funnily enough never remember .. the app could ping out a not so subtle reminder to everyone on Sunday morning , that the cab cost £40 and your share is £x

in the end it was easier to stop going our with Jon on our nights out  than it was to spend thousands developing an app :) 

but I love App service , so much more refined than having to stand 10 deep at a bar whilst other obnoxious clearings in the woods try and elbow their way in front of you 

We all know Jon. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Trump. Knew he'd win in '15 before he got the GOP nomination - having lived in Ohio & Florida previously it seemed obvious to me (unfortunately.) Everyone treated him like a joke and my in laws were particularly incredulous that he could never win.

There's a couple of 2 tech things that weren't necessarily seen as odd but I feel as though I had an idea things were going that way before they really got developed.

I still believe the biggest thing with tech is interface, which is why glasses as wearables will ultimately dominate. 30 years ago SLR camera's could "read" where you eye was looking and take action from it. I believe eventually we will have an ocular device that allows us to select options by "looking" and the UI will be overlayed onto the real world. 

Augmented reality, it's a thing and yes it's coming to the mainstream.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Do you think he'll win this time round? 

Saville, told anyone who would listen he was a wrong un for years before he was outed. The only difference being he was far far worse than I could ever imagine 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

so much more refined than having to stand 10 deep at a bar whilst other obnoxious clearings in the woods try and elbow their way in front of you 

I bet you use your phone in a pub quiz too :D 

Using an App is cheating, there's a skill to it, tactics to employ, making sure your positioning is right, even teamwork for a big round.

Apps are the refuge of the shandy drinker

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The company that developed the Spoons app have offices here in Stafford, I have applied for a job with them multiple times and nothing, dont even get a rejection email. My wife strokes my ego by telling me I am too expensive for them. 

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

I bet you use your phone in a pub quiz too :D 

Using an App is cheating, there's a skill to it, tactics to employ, making sure your positioning is right, even teamwork for a big round.

Apps are the refuge of the shandy drinker. 

OK, boomer.  ;)

(I totally agree, btw). 

• Haha 1

Â