Ahead of your time

KentVillan

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

I bet you use your phone in a pub quiz too :D 

Using an App is cheating, there's a skill to it, tactics to employ, making sure your positioning is right, even teamwork for a big round.

Apps are the refuge of the shandy drinker

Apps do at least prevent people from going to the bar and ordering 10 drinks with the 3 pints of Guinness as a final afterthought

My contribution is that I decided a long time ago that commuting for hours a day and working in massive open plan offices to do jobs where you mostly just sit at a computer and chat via email / phone / Slack / etc was often a waste of time and money for all involved.

Had so many fruitless discussions with bosses over the years re more flexible working and WFH, and now post-Covid I can see those same people completely buying into hybrid working.

17 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Apps do at least prevent people from going to the bar and ordering 10 drinks with the 3 pints of Guinness as a final afterthought

Tsk, ordering Guinness at the end of the round , that's a professional foul :D 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, bickster said:

Using an App is cheating, there's a skill to it, tactics to employ, making sure your positioning is right, even teamwork for a big round.

Apps are for those in the 21st century and who don't still keep coal in their bath :P 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Also, and this happened to me a couple of days back, in the pub I asked for some Oakham ale, and the barpersonmaid started pulling it (kenny) and then said "back in a minute" and sure enough, the barrel was empty, so I had to then choose from a splendid line up of other ales - and went for the Dizzy Blonde (Kenny). Not sure how that really works on an app when the beer runs out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Never seen anything like circa 1988 my 19 year old cousin from California came over. 

6ft 2 of blue eyed, shoulder length blonde hair, white teeth, deep suntan surfer dude. 

The women would faint on approach and bar staff would fall over each other trying to serve him regardless of the size of the queue and when or where he joined it. 

Never seen anything like it before or since. Being in a bar with him was like being around a real life Lord Flasheart 

Was sickening. Give me the app please. 

48 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

My contribution is that I decided a long time ago that commuting for hours a day and working in massive open plan offices to do jobs where you mostly just sit at a computer and chat via email / phone / Slack / etc was often a waste of time and money for all involved.

Had so many fruitless discussions with bosses over the years re more flexible working and WFH, and now post-Covid I can see those same people completely buying into hybrid working.

Yeah. Though to be fair, I think it's more the bosses being behind the times, than you (or I, and no offence intended) being ahead of them. I'm no visionary, but in 2009 I can remember doing some work in/from a hotel room in Australia on the work laptop, with a security dongle thingy and thinking 2 things  - 1. This is pretty neat, and 2. I could do this from home then, if they'd let me.

I think we're seeing more people being dragged back to sites and offices and stuff again, now - so the boss instinct is still strong.

Not me but my dad predicted streaming tv about 30 years ago. 

It was when we first got cable and I distinctly remember him saying that in the future there wouldn’t be TV channels where you had to tune in at a certain time. Everything would just be there. He said it would be like having files on your computer where you just open them when you want. On demand TV and movies 

It was only about 5 years ago that I suddenly remembered him saying that and thinking “Holy shit he was right!”

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, blandy said:

Also, and this happened to me a couple of days back, in the pub I asked for some Oakham ale, and the barpersonmaid started pulling it (kenny) and then said "back in a minute" and sure enough, the barrel was empty, so I had to then choose from a splendid line up of other ales - and went for the Dizzy Blonde (Kenny). Not sure how that really works on an app when the beer runs out.

At Heathrow the go to place for a pre flight pint and breakfast is the Wetherspoons in the terminal  

the app greys items out if they aren't available  .. I couldn't say how real-time that is though , for all I know it could have ben greyed out for weeks 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its the most acceptable drink in a nitro only pub

Exactly this. If there are no handpumps - and depending on whether they have anything interesting in bottles - Guinness is the way to go. 

Athough the world turned upside down yesterday. The missus and I went out for a walk in the Dales, and stopped in a nice country pub with a good selection of ales. She had a pint of Harrogate best (which was apparently excellent), and I had... a Coke. I'd been to a gig with a mate the night before, and we'd downed sufficient quantity of beer, I was feeling decidedly delicate the next day, and couldn't face any more for a while. 

Fully recovered now, obviously. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Exactly this. If there are no handpumps - and depending on whether they have anything interesting in bottles - Guinness is the way to go. 

I did precisely this in a pub in Cornwall while on holiday recently. I watched the nice lady put water and then a glass on the drip tray on the tap with no handle, fetch a can from the fridge pour it into the glass, press a button where the thing the glass was sat on vibrated, creating a head on the Guinness. I still feels all kinds of wrong now a few weeks later.

21 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I did precisely this in a pub in Cornwall while on holiday recently. I watched the nice lady put water and then a glass on the drip tray on the tap with no handle, fetch a can from the fridge pour it into the glass, press a button where the thing the glass was sat on vibrated, creating a head on the Guinness. I still feels all kinds of wrong now a few weeks later.

A long time ago, when I lived in a village in Cornwall, there was a pub opposite, next to a chippie and another pub, er, but anyway, we used to go to the pub opposite most nights and the landlord changed. He decided to bring in a slightly expanded range of beers and included Guinness in the new range. I'd always have an ale, but Jim was proud of his new Guinness tap, so on the first night of it, I ordered a pint. It came out completely flat, like blackcurrant squash or something. Cue awkwardness all round - should I drink this abomination? should Jim offer me something else, unprompted? I had a sip, made a grimace and he poured me a normal beer "while he sorted out the Guinness". He didn't sort it out. If only beer vibrators (is that the word?) had been invented back then...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

the app greys items out if they aren't available  .. I couldn't say how real-time that is though , for all I know it could have ben greyed out for weeks 

Yeah, zackly. My ordered beer, the barrel ran out half way through pulling it. No way an app handles that.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

A long time ago, when I lived in a village in Cornwall, there was a pub opposite, next to a chippie and another pub, er, but anyway, we used to go to the pub opposite most nights and the landlord changed. He decided to bring in a slightly expanded range of beers and included Guinness in the new range. I'd always have an ale, but Jim was proud of his new Guinness tap, so on the first night of it, I ordered a pint. It came out completely flat, like blackcurrant squash or something. Cue awkwardness all round - should I drink this abomination? should Jim offer me something else, unprompted? I had a sip, made a grimace and he poured me a normal beer "while he sorted out the Guinness". He didn't sort it out. If only beer vibrators (is that the word?) had been invented back then...

I once had a moron bring a perfectly good pint of lager back to my bar and complain it was flat (it wasn't) and that it must have been sat in the pipe (it hadn't). Normally I'd just swap it anyway, but as it was my friends younger brother lauding it up in front of his mates I decided to grab a cocktail stirrer and put a head on it for him.

"Lovely Marv that one, loads better, cheers mate"

I thought I was drifting way off topic with this little trip down memory lane but on reflection maybe not :D

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I can't even conceptualise this in my mind atm, but perhaps in 20 years time, we may all be looking back on this post and hailing your genius :D

It'd be like a hand held, battery powered device, something you can just slip in and the excitation would take place. Waterproof obviously, too. No, me neither.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I think this will be a temporary blip, to be honest. Maybe people might be allowed a max of one or two days a week at home at a push, but I think the most successful companies in the long term will be the ones that have all their staff together in the same building the majority of the time.

I think most big companies are still coasting on the fact most people have previously been in the office five days a week at that company, so already have their networks / accumulated knowledge / "company culture". But that collectively erodes over time if people are working largely remotely, so while it's great for a while I think in a few years it'll start to cause problems.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I think this will be a temporary blip, to be honest. Maybe people might be allowed a max of one or two days a week at home at a push, but I think the most successful companies in the long term will be the ones that have all their staff together in the same building the majority of the time.

I think most big companies are still coasting on the fact most people have previously been in the office five days a week at that company, so already have their networks / accumulated knowledge / "company culture". But that collectively erodes over time if people are working largely remotely, so while it's great for a while I think in a few years it'll start to cause problems.

You can still build networks and company culture in a largely remote business. It's just a different way of working.

And it gives you access to a much wider talent pool, as well as being more accessible to disabled people, parents, etc. So the competitiveness advantages from better communication probably even out.

It won't die out, we'll just reach a situation where different businesses or different teams within businesses settle on a model that works for them. I think 3-4 days pw in office, 1-2 days remote will be the norm for most office workers. Best of both worlds.

Â