Ahead of your time

KentVillan

34 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

You can still build networks and company culture in a largely remote business. It's just a different way of working.

And it gives you access to a much wider talent pool, as well as being more accessible to disabled people, parents, etc. So the competitiveness advantages from better communication probably even out.

It won't die out, we'll just reach a situation where different businesses or different teams within businesses settle on a model that works for them. I think 3-4 days pw in office, 1-2 days remote will be the norm for most office workers. Best of both worlds.

Working mostly from home is great for experienced members of the team, particularly senior leadership who want to sit at home in their nice house and already know everyone they need to know and how to do their job. It's much less great if you're a new grad living in a box room in a shared house, who doesn't know anyone at the company or really even how to do their job. Learning all that stuff in a remote setup is much more challenging, as there's a lot of basic stuff you pick up from being around more experienced people (not to mention younger people often want a social life as part of their job). I don't think you can just say "it's just a different way of working" when it comes to the early years of people's careers, tbh.

Sure, that's not going to be a massive problem if people are working from home 1 day a week. But a lot of people right now still seem to think that working mostly or fully remotely is going to be the norm in the future. In my experience, that view tends to be held by people who have already spent 10+ years working full time in an office and already have the necessary skills to work from home efficiently (and like doing it, and have a home situation that allows it). I think in reality there'll be a lot of roles where not being mostly office based isn't really practical for any length of time.

Yes, you're right that even fully remote work isn't going to die out. I've run a business that's been entirely remote for almost fifteen years now, and it always worked fine for us even before it was cool. But it being the dominant way of working for most companies? I'm pretty sure that's a covid-related blip.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2023 at 14:29, sidcow said:

Do you think he'll win this time round? 

Thats a tough one and this will probably seem like a cop out to get out of answering.

Back in 2015 I wasn't a father and took a great deal of interest in politics. I now have 2 kids and just haven't the time or energy to follow the general pulse politics. Plus it has become so toxic I could feel physical symptoms of stress reading my news feed, so I turned it all off a few years ago and haven't missed it one bit. (All I follow now is Villa and if anyone starts political stuff they are immediately unfollowed.)

Back in 2015 it was assumed that Jeb Bush would romp the primary, but the world had changed from when his brother ran. Right wing people were excited about this angry, unpredictable sexual abuser who "told it like it is." The networks couldn't take their eyes off him either. To me, it was like watching a car accident in slow motion. 

I know that Trump is going to have a say in what happens. Interestingly the only black Republican Senator Tim Scott declared he is running yesterday for 2024 and Trump congratulated him and wished him luck. Maybe he doesn't see him as a threat as usually he belittles any of his opponents.

Is a large part of the GOP sick of his antics? It seemed so anecdotally,  but current polling suggests otherwise. If he does win, it's going to be very, very bad for this country and I actually fear it wouldn't survive another term of Trump. He often says that he should have an extra term beyond 2024 (i.e. be allowed to run in 2028) because he was cheated out of 2020 :bang:

If he got in again, this time he might actually have the people and know how to nullify elections and do many worse things. (unlimited term limits etc.)

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2023 at 21:23, TheAuthority said:

I still believe the biggest thing with tech is interface, which is why glasses as wearables will ultimately dominate. 30 years ago SLR camera's could "read" where you eye was looking and take action from it. I believe eventually we will have an ocular device that allows us to select options by "looking" and the UI will be overlayed onto the real world. 

NYPICHPDPICT000012231710.jpg

fter a roughly 30-minute demo that ran through the major features that are yet ready to test, I came away convinced that Apple has delivered nothing less than a genuine leapfrog in capability and execution of XR — or mixed reality — with its new Apple Vision Pro

https://techcrunch.com/2023/06/05/first-impressions-yes-apple-vision-pro-works-and-yes-its-good/

Â