Luton Town

MaVilla

2 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Tbf, I don't think anyone expected Luton to come up and tear teams a new one. They barely have a stadium ffs.

You can see in the games they've played they attempt to give it a go and you can't fault them for that.

I cut Luton a bit of slack as it's their first ever season in the PL and have a bit of a distant soft spot for them (based on whats been achieved as a football club on the pitch and they also have Marvellous too)

However, With the likes of Burnley and Sheff Utd who have been up here before and know what to expect by now, I have less sympathy for - especially Sheff Utd.

Yeah i do agree about luton. They haven't spent much.  I think they are positioned well to come back up when they go down

• 3 weeks later...

They lack quality but we have played a lot worse teams in the league this season. A bit more in attack to go with the spirit they showed and they could be OK

If they scored that free header then I think we might have struggled to hold on like Forest did

22 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They lack quality but we have played a lot worse teams in the league this season. A bit more in attack to go with the spirit they showed and they could be OK

If they scored that free header then I think we might have struggled to hold on like Forest did

Really? I think they're the worst team we've played for a long time. So so passive.  If we had got of first gear we would have scored ten. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Really? I think they're the worst team we've played for a long time. So so passive.  If we had got of first gear we would have scored ten. 

This. They were diabolical. 

We were all over them from the first whistle and to be honest I think 3-1 flattered them

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This. They were diabolical. 

We were all over them from the first whistle and to be honest I think 3-1 flattered them

With the resources they have its the best they could have done

I mean their most attacking threat was ex bloser chong. Sums it up

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Definitely better than Everton, Burnley and West Ham. Just lack quality

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

My favourite was a rendition of "Conference Champions...you'll never sing that" 😂😂

You want to bet against us? 

UECLF_Trophy_3D_45mm_HP_1000px.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

49 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Definitely better than Everton, Burnley and West Ham. Just lack quality

I don't know where this bout of charity has come from but it's really misplaced, they were dismal. Everton were also dismal on the day I grant. The other two, not even close. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

With the resources they have its the best they could have done

Disagree. You've got to be aggressive and get in there face of your opponent. 

They just put zero pressure on the ball, gave us way to much respect, made our life very easy and were very easily dispatched as a result. 

If you are up against a much superior team it's the only way. They just let it happen. 

You don't need resources to do that you need hard work and determination and attitude. They had non. 

Edited by sidcow

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Disagree. You've got to be aggressive and get in there face of your opponent. 

They just put zero pressure on the ball, gave us way to much respect, made our life very easy and were very easily dispatched as a result. 

If you are up against a much superior team it's the only way. They just let it happen. 

You don't need resources to do that you need hard work and determination and attitude. They had non. 

I think they needed to be abot more aggressive too but thats not how they play. You need players to be able to play that way. I mean nakamba is perhaps borderline aggressive in his play the rest of the team i havent seen luton ever play like that. I think if they played with high intensity by 2nd half we would have run through them

They just looked like they were setup to frustrate and keep the score down. 3-1 isnt a disaster for them

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

They'll probably get a few home wins as the season goes on and beat our 15/16 points haul (although will be close as don't think they'll get much over 20 points).

Let's remember with a far more expensive team we looked as bad as times in 19/20. That Leicester game just before lockdown we went and defended exactly like Luton, low block parked on penalty area and Leicester still stuck 4 past us.

I actually get the feeling they were playing to keep the GD down. When we've scored 4s and a 6 already at VP this season it's not a bad strategy as again in 19/20 we stayed up on GD and Luton's is significantly better still than Bournemouth and Burnley.

Edited by VillaChris

Yeah they were awful. I don't know if it was a conscious choice but it felt like they didn't even try for most of the game and had already resigned themselves to defeat. They may still stay up but if they do it'll be due to Burnley, Sheffield United and probably Bournemouth being worse.

Edited by Mantis

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't know where this bout of charity has come from but it's really misplaced, they were dismal. Everton were also dismal on the day I grant. The other two, not even close. 

Agreed. They were shocking.

Them and Sheff Utd in a race to the bottom. Both will be lucky to make 20 points

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed. They were shocking.

Them and Sheff Utd in a race to the bottom. Both will be lucky to make 20 points

They've already lost at home to Burnley which isn't great but if they beat Sheffield United home and away and 4 points off Bournemouth that gets them to 15 points. Then they're looking at a few home wins v mid table teams like Fulham, Palace, Forest. Also got Everton at home near the end of the season who may be safe.

Trouble is just winning all the games they need to win dosen't even get them to 30 points. To stay up with a game to spare last season Forest had to beat likes of Arsenal and Liverpool, Luton have nowhere near the same level of quality in their side.

20-25 points range looks a solid better, similar to that Norwich team that went down a couple of years ago.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I actually get the feeling they were playing to keep the GD down. When we've scored 4s and a 6 already at VP this season it's not a bad strategy as again in 19/20 we stayed up on GD and Luton's is significantly better still than Bournemouth and Burnley.

Something I certainly haven't adjusted to yet is the esteem we're now being held in by other managers. Edwards' comments after the game were remarkable; I'm paraphrasing but it was basically 'they are a fantastic team who are in unstoppable form right now, it was always going to be hard, these aren't the games that are going to define our season', ie exactly the stuff that we always used to say about playing Liverpool and City until October last year. 

• Like 2

We don't know how good they are as they didn't really try to compete. Literally offered nothing in attack and looked like they'd hope for some kind of miracle and lots of luck for a 0-0 or accept a low scoring defeat which they ended up with.

Standing off the opposition to remain in shape and disciplined is one thing, but standing still and doing nothing to press at anytime, anywhere is something different. The only thing I can say for Luton is that Villa, initially, had no idea what to do to counter their tactic but were able to pick them apart whenever an individual made a mistake.

I've never seen a game like this in all the games at different levels I have watched up and down the country. Probably the worst game as a spectacle I have ever seen.

Edited by AndyClarke

Â