Aston Villa Kits 23/24

ferguson1

With the rumours that we might be ending the Castore deal early and switching manufacturer, I've seen Adidas brought up a lot.

There's some concern that we would not be an one of their 'elite' level clubs and therefore get the basic template stuff like Leicester and Leeds etc do.

But, it seems like even in this scenario, there's interesting bespoke things that can be done above just sticking the club badge on a template kit.

I just finished listening to a Podcast (The Square Ball - Leeds fan podcast, but very well done), that explains in a decent amount of detail the process between the designer (Acid FC),  Manufacturer (Adidas), Club, and sponsors. The designer does admit, that one of the knock on impacts of relegation, meant that they had enough sway with the sponsors to get all the colours properly matched up to the blue on the home shirt, which probably wouldn't have happened in the Prem (see our orange BK8 monstrosity). 

It would be interesting to see what Adidas could do for us, if they partnered up with a kit designer who was a Villa fan 👀

Would highly recommend the four episodes on the kit. The first is linked below. 

16 minutes ago, 0Lamptey said:

With the rumours that we might be ending the Castore deal early and switching manufacturer, I've seen Adidas brought up a lot.

There's some concern that we would not be an one of their 'elite' level clubs and therefore get the basic template stuff like Leicester and Leeds etc do.

But, it seems like even in this scenario, there's interesting bespoke things that can be done above just sticking the club badge on a template kit.

I just finished listening to a Podcast (The Square Ball - Leeds fan podcast, but very well done), that explains in a decent amount of detail the process between the designer (Acid FC),  Manufacturer (Adidas), Club, and sponsors. The designer does admit, that one of the knock on impacts of relegation, meant that they had enough sway with the sponsors to get all the colours properly matched up to the blue on the home shirt, which probably wouldn't have happened in the Prem (see our orange BK8 monstrosity). 

It would be interesting to see what Adidas could do for us, if they partnered up with a kit designer who was a Villa fan 👀

Would highly recommend the four episodes on the kit. The first is linked below. 

Is he implying that being a bigger fish in a smaller pond meant that they had more power to get Adidas to agree to do a bit of custom work for them?

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Is he implying that being a bigger fish in a smaller pond meant that they had more power to get Adidas to agree to do a bit of custom work for them?

That surprised me as well. Haven't listened to it yet, but surely the smallest PL teams get far more coverage and as such would have more sway than a relegated team...

5 hours ago, 0Lamptey said:

The designer does admit, that one of the knock on impacts of relegation, meant that they had enough sway with the sponsors to get all the colours properly matched up to the blue on the home shirt, which probably wouldn't have happened in the Prem (see our orange BK8 monstrosity). 

Our orange BK8 monstrosity?

8 hours ago, 0Lamptey said:

I think with having an owner who has a stake in Adidas, I highly doubt we will be given some basic shit template used for other clubs.

19 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I think with having an owner who has a stake in Adidas, I highly doubt we will be given some basic shit template used for other clubs.

Regardless of our owner's status - I would be staggered if Heck accepted a basic, shit template from any manufacturer....ever.  It just seems miles away from everything that he has done in the past.  If we end up with a kit we don't like it will be because they've missed the brief - it absolutely won't be because it's what the manufacturer gave us "out of the box".

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'd be amazed if Nassef's shareholding had any bearing on how we were managed as a sports marketing asset.

13 minutes ago, allani said:

Regardless of our owner's status - I would be staggered if Heck accepted a basic, shit template from any manufacturer....ever.  It just seems miles away from everything that he has done in the past.  If we end up with a kit we don't like it will be because they've missed the brief - it absolutely won't be because it's what the manufacturer gave us "out of the box".

Fair enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'd be amazed if Nassef's shareholding had any bearing on how we were managed as a sports marketing asset.

And me, not sure how it worked when you were at puma

Nas might hold the highest stake in Adidas (is that still the case?) but he's a shareholder, they have a 4 member executive board which he is not on* and then a 16 member survisory board which is I think a german law thing where you have members from both the shareholders and the normal workers which are voted on, my old place called it the works council, Nas is on that board, in theory so could the cleaner if they were voted in, from my experience they're more like a mini in house union, they vote on stuff like working hours and bonuses, obviously during corona they did loads, because I wasn't a German national the supervisory board at my place voted on whether or not to employ me rather than a local, they don't make business decisions they make company decisions if that makes sense, in theory Nas doesn't get a vote on business decisions, he's not on that board

*their cfo is also on the board at werder bremen who Adidas have nothing to do with

23 hours ago, MrBlack said:

To clarify, the point is that the more the front of shirt sponsors and sleeve sponsors pay, the less likely they are to agree to having their logos in the Club Colour scheme, particularly on the home shirt which will be most visible through the season. 

So, I'd hope someone at Villa asked 'BK8' and our sleeve sponsor whether we could have the logos in white during the contract stage, but they obviously ended up with the white and orange logos, which will massively detract from any claret and blue home shirt in my opinion. Makes it look more cluttered. 

It's one of the reasons why the podcast is interesting, because it reveals that there's certain things that are beyond club control, or extremely difficult to negotiate, that the designers just have to take on the chin.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MrBlack said:

I think, the power dynamic with the shirt sponsors is different to that with the manufacturer. The third party designer says in the podcast, that Adidas gave them strict parameters to work with (e.g this core template, these collar options, shirt base colour, plus 2 accent colours), they then had to work creatively within that. It just so happened the designer was a Leeds fan, so they went to town on the research/development and managed to find a way of maximising what they could do with those elements, which I think the fans have been overwhelmingly happy with. 

I'd imagine Leeds, Fulham and Leicester are on a similar contracts with Adidas, far below Arsenal, Man U, Juve, and Bayern, but you can see the difference with what they have managed to come up with when compared to Fulham and Leicester. 

I'm fascinated what Villa's attitude is to all this, and what briefs they are giving to the designers.  Whether there is any long/medium term strategy on the kits? For example, I'd like to see us go traditional with the home shirt for 2 or 3 years, then every 4th year, bring back stripes or do something different that is still identifiable as a Villa kit. When was the last time we had stripes on the home shirt, 1999/2000? Also, the yellow, 'Brazil style' away kit for 93 is a bit of classic, but they have never gone back to that yellow, blue and claret colour scheme as far as I can remember.

5 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

is it my imagination or did the shirts look less sweaty/ greasy yesterday. ollies looked fairly fresh after his goal -though maybe he changed it at half time

I thought the same maybe they have figured it out.

Just now, avfc1982am said:

It's not hard is it. 

BBC One - Comedy Connections, Series 6, Rab C Nesbitt

Pre Season, 8 Premier League games, European games and a League Cup game would suggest it was hard for the pea brained idiots that run Castore.

23 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

is it my imagination or did the shirts look less sweaty/ greasy yesterday. ollies looked fairly fresh after his goal -though maybe he changed it at half time

Lots of us commented that loads of players were soaked through by 20-25 minutes in, I don't think they've changed anything.

The players do all change their shirts at half time, though I've also noticed in previous games since we started Shirt Watch that Ollie is one of our least sweaty players, whereas Zaniolo and Torres look like they've been dunked minutes after kickoff