Tiger Woods Tampon Prank  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger Woods Tampon Prank

• Funny
    • Offensive
    • Neither Funny nor Offensive
    • Funny and Offensive

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/02/23 at 13:46

Man, a lot of Tiger and golf hate on here. As someone who loves Tiger, the game, and works in the golf industry, I’ll try to provide a different point of view.

Tiger had some major transgressions when he was younger, there’s no doubting that. He cheated on his wife a LOT of women, and it seems like a lot of it was pretty degrading to women (spitting, pissing on them, etc). However, it was consensual.  I could never imagine doing that to my wife, and certainly don’t condone it. However, it doesn’t help that he learned this behavior as a child from his father, who would have extramarital sex with women in the car while Tiger was taking a lesson. Growing up seeing that behavior normalizes it.

He also got a DUI for driving on pain meds, which is obviously incredibly dangerous. I empathize with him here, as he has been through so many surgeries that I would be surprised if he wasn’t dependent on pain medicine in some way. Still, no excusing the DUI. Luckily nobody was hurt besides himself.

Despite that, he’s not a complete piece of sh*t. By all accounts, he is a great father to his two children and cares deeply about them. He goes out and caddies for his son Charlie in junior golf tournaments. His daughter Sam is apparently a really good soccer player, but he is on record he purposely keeps her out of the spotlight because she doesn’t like it. She gave his Golf Hall of Fame induction speech, and it was pretty moving.  

He also has his TGR Foundation that he really cares about. It is based around giving underprivileged youth (particularly those of color) access to education that they might otherwise not have. You can learn more about it here: https://tgrfoundation.org/about/

All of this is to say that Tiger is certainly not perfect, but he’s also not a worthless piece of sh*t either. Like all of us, he’s a pretty complex person with both good and bad traits.

As for the joke, I voted funny but wish I could change to neither funny or offensive. Although it’s probably not my place to tell women what they should/shouldn’t be offended by. What surprises me a little is that he didn’t see this backlash coming before he did it. Of course some people would be offended, I don’t know why he thought it would be a good idea to pull this “prank” on national television.

• Like 1

It really depends if you think celebrities and public figures are held to higher standards than normal people.

If someone did that between mates on a golf course its a funny and maybe slightly offensive gesture. Is it the TV cameras that make it an issue based on who can see it?

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

A poor locker room joke. Nothing to see, move on.

exactly its the sort of "puerile banter" I'd have with mates , though carrying a tampon is a step further than we'd likely go  .

Stuff we pull on each other is funny to us  , maybe not so funny to outsiders who haven't known us for 40 years   , difference is we don't have TV cameras trained on us , unless I am actually the star of the Tonyh29 show and you are all actors ... and just in case  anyone is watching  I've no idea how that copy of big jug milfs needed up in my bedroom drawer , its not mine 

Edited by tonyh29

16 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The bloke's nearly 50. Imagine having that idea, thinking it's funny enough to go and get a tampon, then hanging on to it for ages until an opportune moment presented itself for his hilarious jape without thinking "Hang on, this is puerile schoolboy humour"

I've always had the impression he's a bit socially awkward like a lot of child prodigies.  He tries hard to fit in but just gets it completely wrong. 

meh. bit dumb for Tiger to do this in public on camera. 

if one of my mates had done this in a private game i'd have a had a giggle - there is a wee bit of puerile behaviour and chat between my group of friends an awful lot of the time. things we would never do or say in front of anyone who would take offence. I guess its down to knowing your audience/ moderating your behaviour for the situation.

I think the golden rule of life these days is that if something can be taken offensively, it will be taken offensively by someone, somewhere

33 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

meh. bit dumb for Tiger to do this in public on camera. 

if one of my mates had done this in a private game i'd have a had a giggle - there is a wee bit of puerile behaviour and chat between my group of friends an awful lot of the time. things we would never do or say in front of anyone who would take offence. I guess its down to knowing your audience/ moderating your behaviour for the situation.

I think the golden rule of life these days is that if something can be taken offensively, it will be taken offensively by someone, somewhere

That isn't a good enough reason to stop doing offensive things though. What's the end game with that kid of attitude?

10 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Despite that, he’s not a complete piece of sh*t. By all accounts, he is a great father to his two children and cares deeply about them. He goes out and caddies for his son Charlie in junior golf tournaments. His daughter Sam is apparently a really good soccer player, but he is on record he purposely keeps her out of the spotlight because she doesn’t like it. She gave his Golf Hall of Fame induction speech, and it was pretty moving.  

If you're a shit dad, you should be criticised but loving and caring for your own children is just entirely natural rather than something worthy of praise.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If you're a shit dad, you should be criticised but loving and caring for your own children is just entirely natural rather than something worthy of praise.

Chris Rock nailed it. 

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

That isn't a good enough reason to stop doing offensive things though. What's the end game with that kid of attitude?

I know right, some awful hellish dystopian future where people are considerate and nice to each other.

Seriously though, you're right, there's always going to be some level of offensive, intended or otherwise. there are some thorny topics that are going to cause offence, and if you're trying to not be a deliberately inflammatory nobhead, the tricky bit is determining "is what I'm going to say/do valuable enough to be worth the bother" - the comedic merit of this would have fallen well short, for me, but to each their own.

Edited by Davkaus

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I know right, some awful hellish dystopian future where people are considerate and nice to each other.

Seriously though, you're right, there's always going to be some level of offensive, intended or otherwise. there are some thorny topics that are going to cause offence, and if you're trying to not be a deliberately inflammatory nobhead, the tricky bit is determining "is what I'm going to say/do valuable enough to be worth the bother" - the comedic merit of this would have fallen well short, for me, but to each their own.

A good rule of thumb is that if two parties do something to each other that could be considered offensive but neither are offended then we really shouldn't care if a third party onlooker is offended. 

This is where the waters get muddied because the third party in this case are thousands of spectators on the course and watching from home.

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Ouch.

“Media focus always on miraculous recovery. Never why the need for recovery.”

That’s BS, and not because it’s Tiger. If an alcoholic gets sober, I’m absolutely focusing on and celebrating the recovery instead of the fact that the person was an alcoholic.

5 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've always had the impression he's a bit socially awkward like a lot of child prodigies.  He tries hard to fit in but just gets it completely wrong. 

I think he was just trying to banter a mate. Reading a bit much into it. 

Edited by TreeVillan

Â