Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Your Beundia bashing obsession is hilarious. Coutinho has done **** all bar one game and looked a total flop vs Stevenage

If we don't judge Buendia under Gerrard, surely Coutinho should get the same slack. Coutinho hasn't had a run in the team due to his fitness issues. The brief time he was fit and started he was the best player on the pitch. This a player who was once the most expensive player in the world. His ability is proven. His problem since he joined Barca is staying fit. This isn't Buendia bashing it's just stating facts.

I am some times harsh on Buendia, but you amongst others overrate him in my opinion. He just isn't that good. Certainly not record signing good. Also he gets away with bad performances for him being involved and working hard defensively. But quite frankly when he is playing poorly his involvement works against us. 

Bailey on the other hand gets crucified. But look at their goals and assists, I don't see much difference. The consistency of their performances are the same. So why does one get praise and the other vilified?

• Like 4

Lo Celso seems one where maybe Emery can get the best out of him. I can't figure out how much Spurs actually paid for Lo Celso, seems they did a Loan + obligation to buy or something. Total is either €48m or €60m. So many different numbers being reported from a google. 

His fbref stats seems off the charts since he joined Villareal. If Emery wants him and the price is right I don't have an issue with this. He seems a versatile player who might be best as a RM or SS (he is left footed). 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Lo Celso seems one where maybe Emery can get the best out of him. I can't figure out how much Spurs actually paid for Lo Celso, seems they did a Loan + obligation to buy or something. Total is either €48m or €60m. So many different numbers being reported from a google. 

His fbref stats seems off the charts since he joined Villareal. If Emery wants him and the price is right I don't have an issue with this. He seems a versatile player who might be best as a RM or SS (he is left footed). 

Seems quite versatile, which is something Emery loves.

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think it's been established Gregg Evans knows nothing about our transfer dealings

He did break the Alemany signing. So I think it's been well established that many VT people think he (and the Athletic) know nothing. They are of course wrong

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah and I trust Emery. Who signed him on loan twice at Villareal

I'm the same, if Unai wants him, i'm all for it.

Also, wasn't Lo Celso a regular with Argentina?  Missed the WC through injury I think.

Edited by duke313

20 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

If we don't judge Buendia under Gerrard, surely Coutinho should get the same slack. Coutinho hasn't had a run in the team due to his fitness issues. The brief time he was fit and started he was the best player on the pitch. This a player who was once the most expensive player in the world. His ability is proven. His problem since he joined Barca is staying fit. This isn't Buendia bashing it's just stating facts.

I am some times harsh on Buendia, but you amongst others overrate him in my opinion. He just isn't that good. Certainly not record signing good. Also he gets away with bad performances for him being involved and working hard defensively. But quite frankly when he is playing poorly his involvement works against us. 

Bailey on the other hand gets crucified. But look at their goals and assists, I don't see much difference. The consistency of their performances are the same. So why does one get praise and the other vilified?

100%. 

Ultimately, Coutinho needs to be moved on because he's never fit and he's a drain on wages. Doesn't matter how good you are if you can't stay fit.
There is absolutely no way Buendia is anywhere near as good as Coutinho though on a footballing level. Buendia seems to get away with so much under the guise of working hard but he's so weak and wasteful, he'll be out of the team come next season. I'd start Bailey over him on Saturday. Not because I rate Bailey, but because he deserves to start as he was the better player against Spurs. Buendia has been poor for a while now after a decent-ish middle of the season spell. 

Lo Celso doesn't score many goals or get many assists much like Guendouzi but I think he's the type of player Emery loves because he is intelligent enough to take on tactical instructions and play through the lines. There's a reason the guy was starting for world champions Argentina ahead of Mac Allister and Enzo Fernández before injury ruled him out of the tournament. I imagine he's much less sloppy in possession than Buendia, but his time at Spurs is a bit of a concern as he seemed to be permanently injured.

There's been a lot of links recently, of course the likes of Vlahovic, Asensio, Christensen and to a lesser extent Ferran Torres are the dream but at the same time it would be very difficult to attract them here without CL football. Lo Celso, Guendouzi, Barnes, Kang In I imagine are all realistic and likely to come here even if we finish 8th. Not the most wow signings but probably better than what we have. Maybe Goncalves, Kokcu and Pau Torres if we offer them enough money. 

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

We're 4th on the form table under Emery and Buendia is a regular starter and contributes to our position on the table and does get vilified even after we've won or got a point and more so when Bailey was out. You're constantly shitting on him. Get a new hobby

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're 4th on the form table under Emery and Buendia is a regular starter and contributes to our position on the table and does get vilified even after we've won or got a point and more so when Bailey was out. You're constantly shitting on him. Get a new hobby

Bailey was preferred to Buendia before his injury, and the results were pretty good then! Buendia get more credit then he deserves. Bailey gets more criticism than he deserves. Their performances and consistency has been on par with each other.

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

I mean, I can't agree. Buendia may make the odd bad decision but Bailey makes them consistently. Buendia also gives us far more defensively, and can spot a pass out of nothing.

Also, surely even you can admit that Buendia should have a load more assists than he's got since he's been here, thanks to poor finishing/bad luck.

Edited by Tom13

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I mean, I can't agree. Buendia may make the odd bad decision but Bailey makes them consistently. Buendia also gives us far more defensively, and can spot a pass out of nothing.

Also, surely even you can admit that Buendia should have a load more assists than he's got since he's been here, thanks to poor finishing/bad luck.

So what you’re saying is Buendia's low assists is because of poor finishing, so Bailey's similar level of assists is because of what? High quality of chances created? Or more luck with players finishing? They're suppling the same players! If Buendia does statistically create more chances, then the difference would surely be quality of chances. 

They both give the ball far too much, they're equally culpable. On Saturday Bailey was very good at not giving the ball away, a rarity, but he still got an assist as well. You can get assists and be good at keeping the ball, quality players do this and do it consistently. The only consistent thing about Buendia beyond the effort he puts in, is how often he gives the ball, he is profligate!

Buendia's defending is overrated, he tries, but he often gets easily dismissed. Bailey doesn't have the bravery or aggression Buendia has to put in challenges, but he positions himself quite well, and cuts off the space well. But it's hard to compare as one plays high up on the right, and the other start high up in the centre, but drops deep, and doesn't run in behind. So Buendia spends more time in positions where he can be more involved with the play.

Buendia isn't a bad player and neither is Bailey. But they have their limitations. 

I think Bailey struggles in the current set up because his ball carrying in more central areas is poor. He has pace, but his strength and balance make it hard for him to ride challenges, Buendia has a similar problem. This hampers them as much of our possession is in our own half, and we need attacking players that can carry the ball out of our half and find a pass at the end if it consistently. Neither have been doing this.

Against Wolves and Tottenham we had more possession in their half than normal, and Buendia should thrive in these scenarios but he didn't, he struggled to make his passes, and play the right passes when in and around the opposition area. Build up play was good, a couple of flamboyant flashes, but end product was missing. Bailey has the same end product, from less touches, and less involvement in the play. This suggests going forward he is more effective.

Reality is we need better from both, but they are far from awful. Useful squad players is what they should be next season.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Gentlemen, we have a new gobbledygook phrase!!!

Villa have "raised their antenna's".....

This geezer was the absolute dog's danglies about 3 or 4 years ago and then spent a season on loan at Swansea (!).....for that alone it's a no from me

15 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Gentlemen, we have a new gobbledygook phrase!!!

Villa have "raised their antenna's".....

Some might say our antenna is well and truly erect 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Sign ALL the players.

Yep being linked with everybody at the moment and so I think the criteria for creating new player threads may need to be higher this summer than usual, otherwise it’s going to be crazy.