Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

3 minutes ago, sne said:
8 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Are Villa sending out signals that they are desperate to buy players to cover injuries or is this part of the grand plan during the Summer, having identified and to bring in new players before the window shuts?

Just feels like a slight panic going on, I may be wrong (usually am!)

Bit of both probably. The 2 season ending? Injuries surely changed our plans

Where is the desperate part though as we were linked with Zaniolo before Buendia injury?  We’ve also been linked with everybody for months so any current links aren’t surprising or even likely to be true.  I also don’t know of any current links that we look desperate at.  The only other “advanced” link is Acuna and that seems more that we needed to shift out Digne before we could bring him in which has taken longer than thought.  I liked Acuna when I watched him for Argentina.  

Is there somebody or solid links I’m missing that we look desperate on?

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

So completely unnecessary for us and pointless for him to make a move to still be backup, then?

It would hardly be unnecessary if he provided cover when we have two games a week and have to rotate and would also not be unnecessary if he turned out to be better than Carlos or Konsa and overtook either of them in the next couple of years.

Harwood-Bellis wouldn't come here as fourth choice anyway, which is what he would be behind Konsa, Carlos, and Pau, he's at an age where he will want to go and get as much experience as possible, if looking for a young defender to come in as fourth choice, Ronnie Edwards would be a better bet.

• Like 2

Also looking at young available left backs Alvaro Fernandez is for sale for a reported £6mill - I know zero about him but according to transfermarkt he can cover the whole left flank … 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Harwood-Bellis wouldn't come here as fourth choice anyway, which is what he would be behind Konsa, Carlos, and Pau, he's at an age where he will want to go and get as much experience as possible, if looking for a young defender to come in as fourth choice, Ronnie Edwards would be a better bet.

Or Jacob Greaves from Hull 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Where is the desperate part though as we were linked with Zaniolo before Buendia injury?  We’ve also been linked with everybody for months so any current links aren’t surprising or even likely to be true.  I also don’t know of any current links that we look desperate at.  The only other “advanced” link is Acuna and that seems more that we needed to shift out Digne before we could bring him in which has taken longer than thought.  I liked Acuna when I watched him for Argentina.  

Is there somebody or solid links I’m missing that we look desperate on?

Not really, just a feeling, but probably due to the fact I have never heard of most of these players that we are supposed to be interested in... 🙂   !

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

He has had two and half seasons on loan in the Championship and half a season in the Belgian League.  I guess we should send Luiz back to City then, he had less experience and also had a buy back clause.

Buy clause involving Man City isn't really an issue as their threshold is so high in terms of meeting their quality - they didn't consider Luiz to be worth buying back when it was clear he was developing into a top PL midfielder.

Am pretty sure the Douglas Luiz buy back clause was structured so that City couldn't just buy him back and immediately flog him for double the money.

42 minutes ago, useless said:

Or Feeney!

Feeney is a lot further behind Edwards in his development, Edwards is a couple of years older and has League One and Championship experience, it's debatable whether Feeney is even ready for a loan let alone being our fourth choice. If he stays with us this season then in certain situations there might be opportunities to put him on the bench and to bring him on in games to start gving him experience in preperation for playing a bigger role in the future either with us or for another team on loan.

We've got Kerr Smith also, I think he's only about five months older than Feeney, but is bigger build, and already has some first team experience playing in Scotland, I think despite young age we might have expected him to progress more than he has done, but shows good promise.

Small relevant segment from Collomosse here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12412427/Premier-League-Q-Mail-Sports-Chelsea-expert-Moises-Caicedo-Romeo-Lavia-transfers-plus-Man-City-guru-tonights-Super-Cup.html

Onto Villa, are they signing a right back? Which position is a priority?
TOM COLLOMOSSE: The priority at the moment is to replace Emi Buendia, who had a serious knee injury last week.

They should conclude a deal for the Italian attacker Nicolo Zaniolo very soon, on an initial loan from Galatasaray.

As for the right-back, I think that Unai Emery will want to upgrade on Matty Cash and if he can do so this window, he will.

Aren't Villa close to signing a new player?
TOM COLLOMOSSE: Yes, Marcos Acuna from Sevilla but he's a left-back.

He's an experienced operator who was part of Argentina's World Cup-winning squad in Qatar.

He is also very well-known by Villa's new transfer chief Monchi, who brought him to Sevilla three years ago.

Emery has never fancied Lucas Digne and if they can do the deal for Acuna this week, expect Digne to leave, with Saudi club Al Hilal interested.

As mentioned, Villa should also sign Nicolo Zaniolo on loan from Galatasaray.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

4d chess, he will clearly join us as the Director of the Director of Footballing Operations.

Nah he’s coming in as Doris’ assistant as translator as heard she keeps getting the breakfast orders mixed up and wrong… 

Edited by thabucks